Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Well stated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the driver in CA, I *think* is being charged with 6 counts of murder instead of manslaughter. I don't know enough about the laws, albeit California, to know whether or not this is a first. And I wonder what allows it to be changed from manslaughter to murder (not arguing for or against, just curious)
You're correct and no it is not a first. That is because CA and other states (unlike FL), takes killing someone while driving drunk to be a serious offense.

When Anaheim Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others were killed in CA by a drunk driver who ran a red light, the driver was brought to trial quickly and was given 51 yrs in jail.

Now look at FL, Tampa area dentist Matthew Moye drove reckless and drunk killing two college students walking on the sidewalk after leaving their hotel jobs.

It took almost 3 yrs to bring him to trial and he still was a practicing dentist the whole time, and he gets 7 yrs in jail for killing two people....big deal.

And Moye is just one example, if you follow the new stories you see people getting a slap on the wrist in FL for DUI manslaughter. A few years in jail and they're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
21 people have died on local roads over a 9 day period from car violence. Let me be the first to say, what more can we do to stop cars from killing people? Perhaps we can have tougher laws to restrict these killer cars. I know I would feel safer if we didn't have all these large SUV's on the roads. Its never easy to see families destroyed by CAR "Violence". If "BIG DETROIT" didn't have all those Washington lobbyist getting money from the government, so they can build more deadly cars, The roads would be safer. When are we just going to say "no more CAR Violence". Our kids deserve better. Thanks I feel better.
This is why every citizen should feel obligated to own a car. This way, when everyone sees a car that is about to cause an accident, everyone on the road can immediately coalesce together at the same time, and drive from every direction, in order to eliminate the dangerous car by crashing into it and pushing it off the road, while not hurting any innocent drivers. This is the heroic standard that we as Americans should feel compelled to uphold. Also, every time some drunk mows down a group of pedestrians, we need to show-up in the city where the incident occurred, in order to advocate for car ownership rights. If everyone had a car, we would eliminate 100% of car accidents. We need to advocate for "Stand Your Lane" laws that allow us to run people into ditches when we are afraid that they may try to crash into us. This is all common sense.

Last edited by El Swampacabra; 03-01-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Swampacabra View Post
This is why every citizen should feel obligated to own a car. This way, when everyone sees a car that is about to cause an accident, everyone on the road can immediately coalesce together at the same time, and drive from every direction, in order to eliminate the dangerous car by crashing into it and pushing it off the road, while not hurting any innocent drivers. This is the heroic standard that we as Americans should feel compelled to uphold. Also, every time some drunk mows down a group of pedestrians, we need to show-up in the city where the incident occurred, in order to advocate for car ownership rights. If everyone had a car, we would eliminate 100% of car accidents. We need to advocate for "Stand Your Lane" laws that allow us to run people into ditches when we are afraid that they may try to crash into us. This is all common sense.
Food for thought. Perhaps the government can put together a "national car safety committee". Then we can discuss all these new purposed safety regulations. The important thing to remember is Innocent lives lost. We all know at times that its the tens of hundreds of lives lost are more important then hundreds of thousands. Especially when agendas are being advocated.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Florida bill would raise speed limit to 75 mph | Tallahassee News

Speed demons and tailgaters celebrating........

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
When i'm traveling on I-95 or I-75 i am happy doing 70mph ,very few cars that i need to pass because he's going slower than me,most cars are doing 80-90,so why not get rid of speed limits all together as its the rare car that actually obeys them.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 31,597 times
+1 on the excessive highway speeds; I'm for + 5-10%, conditions permitting, but reality is that sometimes its absolutely ridiculous how fast people drive for no reason but because others are. Its not the vehicles; its the drivers. And its not just the "tanks", its everything. Forget 0-60; need to pay more attention to the 60-0 (or 90-0) times.

Here's a PSA for the tank drivers out there who tow a 5th wheel, boat, or some other trailer (rented or otherwise): just because your vehicle CAN tow it 20 miles over the posted speed limit doesn't mean you SHOULD. Common sense, man.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 PM

Watch: Tampa road rage tailgater smirks in video, crashes seconds later | Tampa Bay Times

Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...4238.html?vp=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay