U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 08:15 AM

15 posts, read 16,947 times

Advertisements

My family has been discussing relocated from my area outside of Pittsburgh Pa for several years. We have been to Florida several times and love the gulf coast area. I realize our situations there have been more touristy than actually living there so I was hoping to get some input. My husband and I are in our early 30s and we have 2 children who are 11 and 9 so good schools are important to me. We would love to live in an area with several family oriented things to do. I have checked the job market and it seems every place I look has several offering for things we are qualified in, is any place in particular very bad in this aspect? Is there something that is going to cost a ton of money that might surprise me? What areas would you avoid safety wise? It seems the areas I have looked are around this area have pretty affordable housing, anyplace lower than others or higher to avoid? I think our income lever is pretty on par for the area, we make about $80k a year combined. Thank a lot for any suggestions you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 AM

237 posts, read 333,341 times
From my perspective most people in the greater Tampa Bay area do not make 80k household income. Median household income is about half that.

As with any post that replies to questions like yours, have a job and know the salary before you move.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:31 AM

323 posts, read 578,463 times
Safety Harbor, Countryside (Clearwater), Palm Harbor in Pinellas county will have the better schools. I can't speak for Hillsborough or Pasco counties. Safety Harbor is very walkable and has a cute little downtown. Specific neighborhoods in North Pinellas county that you may want to look at include: Bay Woods, Del Oro Groves, Northwood, all of Countryside, Allens Ridge, and Indian Trails. I've missed some I'm sure. Prices in all of those areas are going to be $220-$450k+. Places I wouldn't personally want to live include South St. Pete, Largo, and parts of Pinellas Park (some rougher/not-so-nice neighborhoods), and Snell Isle (underwater with every Tropical Storm.)

Expenses that surprise people often include car registration/title transfer/license fees. Two cars and a couple licenses will run you $1,100+ right off the bat. Some are shocked by the car insurance rates, others not so much. Run a couple online quotes with phoney addresses to get an idea.

Our income is close to yours (we don't have kids, though) and we live very well here. Remember, no state income tax

Last edited by druthb00; 02-23-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,534 posts, read 3,652,330 times
No state income tax, however, expenses for things like homeowner's and car insurance are significantly higher than PA and most other northern states. It's not a wash but to imply that there is a major gap in cost of living between the two areas is simply wrong.

You will have some difficulty getting interviews if you aren't in the area. Applicants I have coached that lived outside the area were advised to find a local address they could use, that of a friend, family member or even a mail drop, like the UPS Store. Get a local number through Google Voice as well, and just forward it to your phone.

I can tell you that as a former hiring manager, I rarely considered anyone from outside the area unless they were really spectacular. Too many issues to deal with when people are self-relocating.

Not trying to be negative, just offering some insight from direct experience.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or