Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab86 View Post
"If you have back problems and want to move due to the cold down to FL, one word of caution. With the exception of "Riverview / S. Tampa, all places listed are further North within the freezing line (for example, Mid Pinellas cty is right on the freezing line). Temps drop to as low as 28F wintertime (by Land O'Lakes and those areas up there, even below that). Plus it feels isolated, too far away from the real FL living in coastal areas. Riverview has relatively easy access to Manatee/Sarasota cty beaches (straight down I-75).

Another thing, FL is very humid, especially in the summer. Your back will not like that. (I had a friend with similar problems and always complained about the humidity or any cold in the winter; he wanted to move to AZ). With your budget, maybe consider looking around Mid Pinellas too (BellAir/Bellair Bluffs/West Largo/W. Seminole or anything close to the beaches), also certain areas of St Pete north of downtown, Clearwater (By Countryside Mall), Dunedin and Palm Harbor."

I'm not a huge fan of humidity but my back just can't take the cold anymore. I actually prefer the cold to extreme heat. It gets pretty humid in NJ as well during the summer and my back is usually fine. It's usually when it's cold or when a big storm comes when my back falls apart.

I was also thinking about Clearwater but never really looked into it. How does it compare to Tampa as far as schools/safety?
Overall, I prefer Pinellas over Hillsborough cty, but that's because I like the beaches (not living too inland). There's some nice areas by Countryside, CLW, around Westfield Mall or East/West of McMullen Booth (check Google maps, shows the areas in detail). Not sure about schools, they should be ok but better check a site like the one below. Living on the East side of Pinellas works better if you work in Tampa(less time to commute).

Clearwater Schools - Clearwater Florida School Ratings - Public and Private
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM

503 posts, read 772,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab86 View Post
"I'm not a huge fan of humidity but my back just can't take the cold anymore. I actually prefer the cold to extreme heat. It gets pretty humid in NJ as well during the summer and my back is usually fine. It's usually when it's cold or when a big storm comes when my back falls apart.
If you are not a big fan of humidity do not move here. From May-late Sept it is hot and humid. It is a very long summer. Also, it rains/storms frequently in the afternoons during the summer. Just curious if you are considering the southwest?

Something I have not seen mentioned is flood insurance. Make sure whereever you are looking does not require flood insurance as it is or will likely be very expensive. We looked at a 3/2, 1600 ft house in Sunset Park (south tampa - priced at $385k) the flood quote alone was $7000/year. That did not include regular homeowners insurance - prob another 2-3k on top of that and then property taxes.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM

82 posts, read 193,078 times
Hey Gulfer, just wanted to thank you for pointing out Land O Lakes and Wesley Chapel. There is a big difference in taxes there. They don't seem quite as established as Tampa, but it's close enough to live and is still considered the "Tampa area." The problem is that I have about 100 or so homes saved on zillow lol. I'll look at some of the other areas mentioned as well. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,268 times
We are also in the process of moving to the Tampa area. My husband is retired Army so we are also going the VA route. We have kids going into 12th, 8th and pre-k in the fall. We have looked at many if the same areas you have.
Here is what I found to watch out for compared to living in the Midwest. Check to see if the home has a CDD, you want a house the has X for flood, anything other than X like A or AE and you will pay ALOT for flood insurance. USAA doesn't cover Hillsborough or Pinellas county for homeowners insurance. Not sure about Pasco. Make sure you change your drivers liscence right after you move so that you are a Florida resident get the homestead exemption.
Alonso HS in Westchase has some really bad reviews, we eliminated Westchase because of it.
South Tampa had great schools but is pricey!
Palm Harbor has good schools but mostly new homes, watch how much the HOA costs. Some are as high as $2,500/yr!
Your homeowners insurance is going to be a lot higher! We pay $2,600/yr here in Chicago and comperably priced homes in Florida were $4,000/yr! And, like I said before USAA won't cover them, they do, however, recommend other carriers.
Best of luck to you and your wife in your move!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
If you're on terminal leave usaa might take you on- they did me because I was still on active duty while on terminal leave

Old 02-28-2014, 07:12 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Keep in mind that you will not receive any homestead for any time you buy this year. You have to close prior to Jan. 1st and apply prior to March to be able to be exempt partially or fully depending on your status.

Home owners ins. For a home that size for approx $ 100 a month seems to me on the low side for a home in that price range...

Many home owner ins. comp. are not able to give any quotes unless an elevation is provided which makes it a little harder to calculate unless the present owner will show you their ins.premium and that company will provide you with a quote or the elevations is available.

Overall most of the areas you mentioned will be outside of a flood zone but certain areas around Dale Mabry are in flood areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
We are moving for more moderate temps as well. We ended up in Port Charlotte, below the freeze line. That is south of Sarasota. Prices are much more moderate than around Tampa.

When you buy, avoid a FHA as you cannot eliminate the PMI charge for the life of the loan.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM

38 posts, read 83,304 times
Default Retirees in Wellington, FL?

We're thinking of retiring to Palm Beach/Boca area but, after looking at real estate listings, and hearing that it really is for seriously senior people, I found Wellington. I see that it is a more family-oriented area. Is there any retiree presence there? I don't want to be the oldest kid on the block, but I don't want to be the youngest, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay