U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 55,090 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there live in Sun City Center near Ruskin? Can you tell me about the community. I know there are different areas (king's point, renaissance, new SCC) but I am most interested in the original SCC. What's it like to live there? Can you use the facilities at the other sections mentioned above? I read that the pools are only opened until 5:00pm. Is this accurate? Are any open at night? What do you like best about the place? What do you like least? Thank you for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,023,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurewater View Post
Anyone out there live in Sun City Center near Ruskin? Can you tell me about the community. I know there are different areas (king's point, renaissance, new SCC) but I am most interested in the original SCC. What's it like to live there? Can you use the facilities at the other sections mentioned above? I read that the pools are only opened until 5:00pm. Is this accurate? Are any open at night? What do you like best about the place? What do you like least? Thank you for your response!
The original Sun City Center area is pretty good, for the most part. The areas that directly border 674 are to be avoided, though, IMO. They can be a little sketchy because of location, I've heard a couple of folks comment about break-ins on the cul-de-sacs off Rickenbacker. Friend of mine stopped an attempted break-in across the street from his former residence in that area.

The living is generally quiet and economical. Some of the older homes on some of the streets are run down due to financial issues on the part of the owners and the shadow inventory the banks and financial servicers are holding back, but that's part of the whole economic downturn. For the most part, it's a relatively quiet, safe, pleasant and economical area for an older person, probably one of the few places of its kind left in Florida. Like everywhere else, quality of life has been affected by population growth in the surrounding area, not all of it good and traffic on 674 has massively increased over the years I've lived in the area.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the facility use is reciprocal with the other areas, although if you make friends with someone who lives in another area, you can always go as a guest. You may be able to join Renaissance Club for a fee, though. You'd have to ask. Most of the people are very nice, and many volunteer for various clubs and causes. It's easy to make friends if you want to, but it's also easy to keep to oneself if that is your preference.

I think the pools might be open a little later, you'd have to ask at the clubhouse. Another thing that's great is that all the basic conveniences are close by: post office, grocery shopping, doctors, pharmacies, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. The restaurants aren't the greatest, not much night life to speak of. A lot of the residents go on cruises. You can't beat the estate sales, they're awesome.

Some people look down their noses at the older 1960s homes in the original Sun City Center, but I think they're great. Very easy to maintain. A few upgrades and you've got a nice little place. You have to pay a yearly fee to the master community, but you can find houses in certain neighborhoods that are not part of individual HOAs, which is a plus if you like to be left alone.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM

I'd also suggest you use the "Search Forum" function and enter "Sun City Center" and you'll get more information from some of the older threads.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Lol, one of Sun City Center's younger residents.

Sun City Center resident, ex-stripper, writes story of redemption

Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,599,218 times
Default Bump !

I'm also interested in knowing more about this community by people who have experienced visiting or living there. On the internet web site it looks great !! But, IMHO, personal recommendations, opinions good or bad are always more valuable than the marketing presentation online.

So, thanks for any recent information

Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 AM

673 posts, read 1,036,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm also interested in knowing more about this community by people who have experienced visiting or living there. On the internet web site it looks great !! But, IMHO, personal recommendations, opinions good or bad are always more valuable than the marketing presentation online.

So, thanks for any recent information
We live in Apollo Beach, northeast of Sun City Center, about 6 miles. We drive through it regularly to shop or go to various doctors. It is a community for retirees and all the people with whom we have spoken like it there.

I can't give you any first hand experience but is seems to be a very nice area. Lots and lots of people riding golf carts!!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
I don't live there - but have the chance to drive through the community and occasionally run on a few of the trails running through the middle of the community(over the old North Golf Course which has been closed). There are a few homes that the owners are falling behind on maintenance, but overall, I think the community is very clean, orderly, safe. The community association is well run from what I read. They have a few projects for expansion of their community center. The older section of Sun City Center is affordable for lower income retirees - people on lower pensions, fixed incomes, and a moderate nest egg might find the older homes worthwhile.

As for the carts - they're electric, they're quiet, they don't do much damage if the 80-90 yr old behind the wheel backs into you. I forget they're even there - probably because I'm a golfer and used to seeing golf carts everywhere when near country clubs/golf courses. I don't want to imagine the traffic in the area if everyone drove their regular cars instead of carts - they really do serve a purpose for the folks making short trips to and from their local stores in the SCC area.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM

473 posts, read 421,534 times
Florida median age: 40.3 years

Sun City Center Median resident age: 74.1 years

Just FYI !!!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Florida median age: 40.3 years

Sun City Center Median resident age: 74.1 years

Just FYI !!!
Sun City Center is a 55+ community. Some younger residents can be admitted, if they are taking care of an older relative, or if one person in the household is 55+ (for example a spouse is over 55 and the other spouse is younger), or if the younger resident has a disability or health problem of some sort.

The nice thing about Sun City Center is that it's quiet and you can sleep at night without being disturbed by neighborhood "festivities". Also not a whole lot of "rap cars".

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM

673 posts, read 1,036,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Sun City Center is a 55+ community. Some younger residents can be admitted, if they are taking care of an older relative, or if one person in the household is 55+ (for example a spouse is over 55 and the other spouse is younger), or if the younger resident has a disability or health problem of some sort.

The nice thing about Sun City Center is that it's quiet and you can sleep at night without being disturbed by neighborhood "festivities". Also not a whole lot of "rap cars".
I hear you but it is also very quiet in Mirabay where we live. I've not seen any rap cars and the loudest car in the neighborhood is my stock 67 GTX. The pavement cracks when I drive it; I do go easy until I get to US41!

Median age in Apollo Beach is 43. My wife and I are "above" average in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay