U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,731 times

Advertisements

So disappointing to read how out of staters fake and lie about their addresses and locals can't get jobs! No wonder our unemployment slides, and so many LOCALS remain unemployed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 01:23 PM

437 posts, read 493,248 times
If LOCALS had the qualifications and experience that employers WANT then they would be hired, simple as that. I have heard horror stories of hiring managers interviewing local candidates and they just seemed to not care or did not present themselves professionally by either the way they dressed or spoke along with the lack of skills. Not saying that is the case for every local, but i'm just going by what i've heard straight from the horse's mouth.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM

109 posts, read 117,588 times
My husband is in the exact same field. He works for a major company but he works from home. We were able to move here because he works from home. There are a lot of jobs in this field where you work from home and/or travel so it doesn't really matter where you live. If he is willing to work from home and (depending on the position) possibly do some travel for work, I would think it would allow him some more options. Good luck

Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,988,652 times
Other than the obvious, which is USA JOBS, many of the contractors are here. I was surprised when I was doing some digging of the companies that work at MacDill.

SAIC is a major one. Check there website for any openings. Otherwise, I would recommend a HeadHunter from down here. They know who is working at MacDill, but they also know who is hiring.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,598,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace919 View Post
My husband and I would like to relocate to the Tampa area to be closer to family, but he is having a difficult time finding a job and I'm looking for advice on the job market there. He works as an information systems security officer/systems administrator, has a security clearance and works for a major defense contractor now. He has 5 years of experience and has been applying to similar type jobs in Tampa, but has been unsuccessful so far. Are employers scared off because we don't have a local address? Should he use his family's address instead to give him a better chance of getting a call back?

We don't need relocation assistance. I am an experienced RN and would be able to find a job easily, but we need him to have something before we up and move, especially with two young children. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

If you haven't already you better to a little research on RN salaries in FL. They're among the lowest in the nation. So your most likely looking at salary cut for yourself.

Don't fall into the "well it's cheaper to live there", not when you take a huge pay cut it isn't.

With McDill laying off due to the upcoming military cuts your husband is going to be competing with more local people who are being displaced.

When people use a fake address to pretend to be local that can come back to bite them. What happens if they want him for an interview within a day or two? A good way to find a job offer revoked is to find the candidate has been dishonest about where they live. The employer may start to think what else are they being dishonest about.

Think long and hard when you have young children to support. You can always visit family, and sometimes living close doesn't mean you seem them more often.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM

185 posts, read 272,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
If LOCALS had the qualifications and experience that employers WANT then they would be hired, simple as that. I have heard horror stories of hiring managers interviewing local candidates and they just seemed to not care or did not present themselves professionally by either the way they dressed or spoke along with the lack of skills. Not saying that is the case for every local, but i'm just going by what i've heard straight from the horse's mouth.
Not speaking to this area but I have found this to be very true in other areas. When I was in grad school, interviewing with companies, I was dumbfounded when I went to interview for John Deere up in Moline when they told us they didn't recruit from the local university for various reasons.... mind you they paid to fly some of us up there all expenses paid from NC!

And Im not big on heresy but I have heard many a story where companies in FL and other states Im sure as well have actually upped the anti so to speak, to lure good people down to FL to get them to fill positions.

Its unfortunate, but you can't really blame the companies, they want who they want. On the flip side, you can't really blame the people. If the schools in FL aren't preparing their students for jobs right in their own back yard then thats a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyGal View Post
My husband is in the exact same field. He works for a major company but he works from home. We were able to move here because he works from home. There are a lot of jobs in this field where you work from home and/or travel so it doesn't really matter where you live. If he is willing to work from home and (depending on the position) possibly do some travel for work, I would think it would allow him some more options. Good luck
This is how I have been blessed to move last year and again in a few months to St. Pete. I WFH 100% and I work in information security for a major bank. God is good! Im hoping to secure another job to eventually replace this one or at least to supplement my income.

I also agree about usajobs being blackhole, thats why I don't use it. I just thought your husband would have a better chance since he already has security clearance etc. I've had better luck on Linked In and by using Indeed.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM

164 posts, read 221,108 times
Yeah. Being someone with a high level clearance I am noticing this more and more. I wouldn't recommend this area for someone with a career in IT. Don't get me wrong...I love the area and weather in general but as far as career wise, no thanks.

However, you do what you wish. Personally, I am trying to get away from this area.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,386,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you haven't already you better to a little research on RN salaries in FL. They're among the lowest in the nation. So your most likely looking at salary cut for yourself.

Don't fall into the "well it's cheaper to live there", not when you take a huge pay cut it isn't.

With McDill laying off due to the upcoming military cuts your husband is going to be competing with more local people who are being displaced.

When people use a fake address to pretend to be local that can come back to bite them. What happens if they want him for an interview within a day or two? A good way to find a job offer revoked is to find the candidate has been dishonest about where they live. The employer may start to think what else are they being dishonest about.

Think long and hard when you have young children to support. You can always visit family, and sometimes living close doesn't mean you seem them more often.
I agree with this assessment.

Lying about where you are currently is a sure way to get denied as far as I can tell. If a person is experienced and have the needed expertise, it doesn't matter where he is the job will be there for him.

In fact, a recent study suggest that there is a "local source bias" meaning people would take an idea or expertise from far than right in their nose. In the research experiment it was shown that an idea that came from the same agency was shot done by upper management but is accepted when they were told the idea came from far.

OP, if he is applying many placed and not getting any response he has to look at how he portray himself for the job at hand. Those who send a generic CV everywhere won't even pass the first hurdle--an HR agent.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
McDill is letting go of a lot of people and with Obama's announcement of sizing down the military it will not create jobs but kills more jobs....so I think that will not an option for a good job opportunity.

Amazon is going to hire people in the area and other companies are coming to the area which might be where you should look into getting a job.
Apparently Chuck Hagel must have gotten a tan, if you confused him with President Obama. I don't know why you would think that the purpose of sizing down the military has anything to do with creating jobs, it has to do with cutting spending and balancing the budget.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM

131 posts, read 270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Apparently Chuck Hagel must have gotten a tan, if you confused him with President Obama. I don't know why you would think that the purpose of sizing down the military has anything to do with creating jobs, it has to do with cutting spending and balancing the budget.
Let's not forget the cuts to military that were passed as part of the sequestration.

To the original poster, I just landed an AVP Information Security Risk Management at a large bank here. I didn't even apply, I was recruited for it. Also I had about 20 or so hits from recruiters for various InfoSec positions. I had almost no luck for the positions I applied to directly. From what I've heard and found by experience, most of the listings are black holes. He will have better luck getting recruited. Have him update his LinkedIn, create a profile on Indeed, and Dice.com. What certs does he have? Make sure he lists them on his resume and on those profiles. Also on the profiles he can list his city as Tampa. With a clearance and InfoSec experience he should get a good amount of hits. Then he can just tell the recruiter he wants to relocate at his own expense.

If you want, feel free to private message me and I can help you out more. I would however, advise against moving here if you can help it. As others have said the salaries are low not just for what you do, but also in IT. I was getting recruited for the same jobs in Atlanta paying $10k-$15k more a year. Housing is cheaper in the Atlanta burbs. That clearance is golden in InfoSec if he has the right experience and certs. I missed out on the six figure jobs because I lack a clearance and one or two certain certs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay