U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,550,785 times

Advertisements

have two potential offers, once company is in St. Pete, one is in Tampa. pre approved for mortgage. Thoughts on living in Parrish with a commute to St. Pete, and Brandon for a commute to Tampa? Definitely buying, we sold our home up here and are tired of renting, want to be homeowners again. WE are in our 40's, no kids. want a nice SAFE neighborhood (I do understand that crime can happen anywhere) Our budget is $200k, no more. We have the 20% to put down. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,487,046 times
SP, hands down, and you are so lucky.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,517,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
SP, hands down, and you are so lucky.
A friend of mine who is relocating just came back from Florida raving about Tampa. I was very surprised she would choose it over other possibilities available to her family. Why would you choose St. Pete over Tampa?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,684 times
When i came down to look at the area, I fell in love with st pete, its got everything you could need, really easy to get around ( most of the city is on a grid). I was originally going to move to Tampa, but after making it down to st petersburg one evening, i knew i had found the right place. Close enough to Tampa that you have access to the zoo, stadiums, etc, but still only feels like a medium sized city. Everyone here seems more laid back than when I was looking at Tampa. If you are looking for neighborhoods, my preferences are old northeast (very nice near the water and downtown), kenwood( just north of central), Euclid/st pauls, Crescent lake, and last, my current neighborhood central oak park. These are not the only nice neighborhoods, but these are the only ones that i am familiar enough to say whether or not I would live in them.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 AM

34,272 posts, read 41,329,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
A friend of mine who is relocating just came back from Florida raving about Tampa. I was very surprised she would choose it over other possibilities available to her family. Why would you choose St. Pete over Tampa?
For some it comes down to beaches and the beach scene/atmosphere which St Pete has in abundance while Tampa has none.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 AM

21,143 posts, read 30,256,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some it comes down to beaches and the beach scene/atmosphere which St Pete has in abundance while Tampa has none.
And a much more happening downtown area.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,145,981 times
Not much happening in Parrish - but you can find a couple of communities at the price range you're talking about - Ellenton as well. I think the commute to downtown St Pete over the Skyway Bridge won't be bad - there will the the once or twice a year problem w/ weather closing down the bridge and you'll have to scramble (maybe your boss will understand) or drive around the bay through Tampa to get to STP.

You really have to look closely at living in/around Parrish area - somewhat rural, not much there. But to some people, that might be a good thing. If I were in your position, I might look at the Heritage Harbor/Stoneybrook communities if I was going to work at St Pete. They're closer to Bradenton, but not far off of I75 then a mostly interstate commute to STP.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,735,055 times
Not sure where you are from, but I'd certainly come take a look at Parrish before you make a decision. I don't think there is anything personally wrong with the area IF it is your thing. You will have limited options on many things. I grew up in an area like Parrish for 17 years, so I have been there...and living in the bustle of things is more my speed now.

I prefer to live where I play and drive to work...some people do the other way around.

Parrish does have the best deli in the Tampa Bay area- PJ's Sandwich Shop! Also, a decent BBQ place down the road from there as well. Good people in that area.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,550,785 times
Thank you all so much, we want safe and affordable, and also new, so Parrish fits the bill, wife is an or nurse so there are a few eye centers she can work in down there, that is what she is doing now here in CT. Anyone know anything about Sheffield Glenn neighborhood in Palmetto? The agent we are working with suggested this community, there is a new home in there we can afford. He said it is a good community even though it is listed in Palmetto it has a Parrish feel to it. We have no kids, mid 40s, don't need the hustle and bustle of a downtown life, like quiet, plan is to get a house then another golden retriever since ours passed away a while ago. Our budget is around 200k. Originally we looked up around Wesley chapel but too many people told me the commute to st Pete would be torture. However many people suggested Parrish. I went to college in FL so I do have some idea of the difference between here and there.

My wife also applied to a couple places in Sarasota so I have to keep her commute in mind too.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM

185 posts, read 272,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.robertson View Post
When i came down to look at the area, I fell in love with st pete, its got everything you could need, really easy to get around ( most of the city is on a grid). I was originally going to move to Tampa, but after making it down to st petersburg one evening, i knew i had found the right place. Close enough to Tampa that you have access to the zoo, stadiums, etc, but still only feels like a medium sized city. Everyone here seems more laid back than when I was looking at Tampa. If you are looking for neighborhoods, my preferences are old northeast (very nice near the water and downtown), kenwood( just north of central), ....
1000% Agree with this. This is me exactly to the point I had to do a double take because I thought I wrote it

Also I totally understand being over renting, Im at that point...however just because you don't really know the area, I'd hate to see you get stuck somewhere your not absolutely in love with or have to settle for. Have you all thought about renting for 6 months? It would give you just enough time to settle in and really figure out where you want to be, get a realtor, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or