U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,839,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
maybe it is you who needs to stop running their mouth. all I am saying is opportunities abound for those willing to seek them out. too many "college grads" think that they are owed something by society. they are getting a rude awakening showing them that it is still necessary to get out there and bust your butt for what you get. nobody "fought" to get me and many others what they got. it was good leadership of the unions and the men and women who did the job that got us what we needed. the time to be lazy and kicked back waiting for things to land in your lap are over. people got way too complacent thinking that they were entitled to it. no. it takes work to prove yourself to be worthy of it. that is why a huge amount of twenty somethings still live with their parents. they are waiting to be served.

So true before unions companies were taking avantage of ther employee's, working them long hours little pay abd no bennifit's. Henry Ford was like that he worked his people hard at his rouge plant. There was a bloody struggle to get the UAW into ford motor company. Ford hired his own police force and they shot and killed workers when they went on strike picketing the plant. So are unions good they made the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
We have trouble hiring people at my company...and this is a large nationwide company with good benefits and pay. The applicants just aren't there for some reason. If they do come in, many just want you to sign their unemployment sheet that says they are searching.

We've been hiring for a diesel mechanic for over a month now and have had 2 applicants total.

Before that we were hiring for a driver (delivering heavy equipment) and it took about 3 months before we got 3 applicants to choose from.

I don't get it...yet on Facebook, I see plenty of friends complain about not being able to find a job. I wonder how hard they are really looking.

One reason you have a hard time hirieing a driver is how many have a CdL with all the endorsement's. And how many can pass the DOT physical and how many will hot. There is allot of drug use down. Maybe that's why you have a hard time getting help.

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-02-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,782,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Industry specific - maybe, but still is a waste of resources. They would be hoping people they were interested in are still available at the time they want them.

General - Never seen it. Waste of time and money.
It may be a waste of time and resources in your eyes, but it's a FACT that it happens all the time.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It may be a waste of time and resources in your eyes, but it's a FACT that it happens all the time.
what do you have to back up your "fact".

Attending a job fair is an expense for an employer. Personnel, give aways, space, etc.

Kind of silly to have people there telling prospects "oh, we're not hiring, we are just collecting
resumes"

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,609,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
what do you have to back up your "fact".

Attending a job fair is an expense for an employer. Personnel, give aways, space, etc.

Kind of silly to have people there telling prospects "oh, we're not hiring, we are just collecting
resumes"
Can you tell me why employers organize job fairs? I don't get it...cause on the surface it looks like a waste of time and gas. Other than use it as an opportunity to visually discriminate against those who don't look like Cameron Diaz & Joe Manganiello, I really don't see the difference...between sending an online application to be discarted, and a printed one handed over at a job fair?

This article did not specify which jobs are so easy to find, nor which fields were hiring rampantly!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,734,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
One reason you have a hard time hirieing a driver is how many have a CdL with all the endorsement's. And how many can pass the DOT physical and how many will **** hot. There is allot of drug use down. Maybe that's why you have a hard time getting help.
Which tell me they don't want a job bad enough if they can't put down the drugs in order to make a living and provide for their families.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 PM

4,226 posts, read 5,680,818 times
Excite News - 32 states trail US as a whole in job recovery

Fourth paragraph-Florida is down 170,000 jobs from pre-recession.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Which tell me they don't want a job bad enough if they can't put down the drugs in order to make a living and provide for their families.

Correct Florida is a drug laden state. I never seen so many people on drugs. My wife works at a dental office in st Pete. They have people coming in to get teeth pulled to get a perscription for pain killers. She has never seen so many people with bad teeth ad she has seen here. In Chicago her old office would pull maybe 5 teeth a month and she worked at a $7 million a year Pratice. They did anything to save your teeth, not here its yank them out. Crystal meth destroys your teeth. And in order to get a CDL you must pass a DOT physical and drug test. Also I was only here 3 months and someone stole my ID, to ile a tax return. Never had that happen in Michigan.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Correct Florida is a drug laden state. I never seen so many people on drugs. My wife works at a dental office in st Pete. They have people coming in to get teeth pulled to get a perscription for pain killers. She has never seen so many people with bad teeth ad she has seen here. In Chicago her old office would pull maybe 5 teeth a month and she worked at a $7 million a year Pratice. They did anything to save your teeth, not here its yank them out. Crystal meth destroys your teeth. And in order to get a CDL you must pass a DOT physical and drug test. Also I was only here 3 months and someone stole my ID, to ile a tax return. Never had that happen in Michigan.
No drug problems in MI....

Michigan is 6th for methamphetamine-related incidents, national statistics show | MLive.com

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/i...owing-epidemic

Recent Stories : News : UpNorthLive.com

Recent Stories : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Sure Michigan has drug problems but not like here. Michigan dose not have pain clinics like they have here. If you ever watch the tv show cops how many times do you see Florida compared to Michigan. Give me a brake Florida has far more junkies than Michigan. Here in Florida there are people makeing spice in there homes. Or meth in there garages. Yes Michigan has drugs just like any other state but Florida takes the prize for perscription drug abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or