U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:14 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,784,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Wow, that is pretty close. I love TX and is second only to FL for us. The TX winter weather is too cold though. TPA is a better airport for my wife. But still, both are great places.
I was pleasantly surprised too by the numbers, not that I wasn't expecting this area to improve so much just not so soon, and certainly that doesn't mean there's not more to go or won't be bumps along the way. But I see great potential in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Now we need to know whether those jobs in the rest of the metro are good or not. At least the article provided a good overview of Tampa city-proper job market. Also, the unemployment rates for the Miami metro is at 6.0% and Orlando metro at 5.5%. But at the city level, the study showed that those two cities weren't doing great compared to the City of Tampa (though I'm not sure if Orlando was even in the study). So we can say that maybe the City of Tampa is good for jobs, the rest of the metro has jobs available, and the jobs available outside of the City of Tampa may or may not be great.
You can judge some of that fairly objectively and readily. Just look at relative cost of living, incomes, levels of poverty etc.

So just googling real quickly I find that....

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with regard to medium income, Tampa (herein referring not to the city but to the MSA (metro statistical area) rates 156 of 280 MSA's overall, while rating 65 of 280 when viewed per capita, that alone is not too shabby and I'd imagine it looks even better when comparing that relative to cost of living.

Also, you could look at poverty in one MSA compared to another. I don't see quickly Tampa listed but I see it is not listed as an area of concentrated poverty. So that would be another indication of the relative economic health here.

The Concentration of Poverty within Metropolitan Areas :: Dionissi Aliprantis, Kyle Fee, and Nelson Oliver :: Economic Commentary :: 01.31.13 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM

79 posts, read 74,679 times
i'm a retired steamfitter. 30 years. Local 21. I retired a little over a year ago. No migrants in my hall.
Our apprenticeship program has recruited mostly high school graduates that graduated from a vocational high school. Many had GEDs or just academic diplomas. After 5 years the training is worth 32 credit hours they can apply for an associates degree. I guess your not in a union shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Are you even in the trades? If you were, you'd know that most of the people doing the blue collar work now are migrants, legal or otherwise. I've been an Industrial Electrician for 30+ years and seen a lot of changes in the work force and ensuing stagnation of wages and reduction of benefits. My advice (for what it's worth) to the Gen Xers and Millennialers is to finish school. The days of really doing well in blue collar work for the majority of people are gone. Sure, they'll be some that make a killing working in the trades, but they're the outliers.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,813,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
You can judge some of that fairly objectively and readily. Just look at relative cost of living, incomes, levels of poverty etc.

So just googling real quickly I find that....

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with regard to medium income, Tampa (herein referring not to the city but to the MSA (metro statistical area) rates 156 of 280 MSA's overall, while rating 65 of 280 when viewed per capita, that alone is not too shabby and I'd imagine it looks even better when comparing that relative to cost of living.

Also, you could look at poverty in one MSA compared to another. I don't see quickly Tampa listed but I see it is not listed as an area of concentrated poverty. So that would be another indication of the relative economic health here.

The Concentration of Poverty within Metropolitan Areas :: Dionissi Aliprantis, Kyle Fee, and Nelson Oliver :: Economic Commentary :: 01.31.13 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
That data seems good. But it also looks outdated. To play it safe, I'm going to reference the current Census statistics given by the government AF database. FYI, if you want to get the most up-to-date information on area incomes, demographics, housing, etc. you want to use the American Factfinder database, which pretty much gives you easy access to all the government census/ACS stats given for the country, states, counties, metros, cities, etc. It's also safer to reference because it is information that comes straight from the source (a source that is most likely referenced by City-data, Wikpedia, clevelandfed, etc.). Anyways, as of 2012, the Tampa metro area hasn't faired-well in a few things. For one, the Tampa metro has a poverty rate that is above average. I actually made a thread talking about the poverty rate of the largest metros in the nation. Take a look:

Poverty rates for the 25 largest metro areas (2012)

As for median household incomes and median family incomes, it doesn't seem to be that great as of 2012:

Median Household Income:
US - 51,371
Metro Tampa - 44,402

Median Family Income (gives a good indicator on how family households might be doing economically):
US - 62,527
Metro Tampa - 56,068

I'm not going to start manually comparing a bunch of metros for you because that's a lot of typing (and I gave you the website, so you should be able to do the research for yourself). But I did compile a table comparing the United States, Florida and the four major Florida metros:

American FactFinder - Results *

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess you can't link to a table. You're just going to have to do it manually.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 PM

792 posts, read 2,014,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
i'm a retired steamfitter. 30 years. Local 21. I retired a little over a year ago. No migrants in my hall.
Our apprenticeship program has recruited mostly high school graduates that graduated from a vocational high school. Many had GEDs or just academic diplomas. After 5 years the training is worth 32 credit hours they can apply for an associates degree. I guess your not in a union shop.
Unfortunately the republicans have almost destroyed the unions in this country and with it, a nice middle class standard of living.

I read somewhere, that unions represent less than 7% of private companies. Which is kind of ironic, since they seem to get blamed for all the problems in the corporate world.

I have a relative who works for the IBEW doing storm outages and things like that. Traveling all over the country. He makes over 6 figures a year.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,677,009 times
Quote:
Well, this ain't NY. "Unions" and "employee's rights" aren't heard very often. Any uppity employee gets shown the door and there's five applicants (some are Union members with their tickets in their shoe) waiting to take the job for less money.

BTW, I've been a Union member (IBEW, CWA) and worked exclusively Union since 1985. Been a lot of ups and downs and sacrifices in pay and benefits, but I've been extremely fortunate to have had steady work for the last 20 years. Most of my Brothers and Sisters haven't been as lucky.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,556,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I'm raising my family on a blue collar job. I love listening to college grads cry and moan about only making $30-40K/year.

I don't have a 4 year degree, but I did go to trade school and I make a heap more than a lot of people who did get the four year degree and somehow feel they are entitled to make more than me, just because they have more education and get to dress nice every day at work.

The world pays for specialized knowledge, not useless 4-year degrees.

I'm just a proud Blue Collar worker and I don't need a union to speak for me but if it works for you great. Spent 34 yrs and still going supporting my family with my hands. Just Living the dream and I would not change a thing.

Last edited by mrviking; 03-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,183 times
Toooo Average Joe66

I think uve been put in ur place old man. Yea u got it while the getting was good and retired. And its the younger generations fault everyday these "Trades" are being shipped over seas for more profit. Because hiring Americans doesn't compare to the money a CEO makes paying people peanuts over seas in sweat shops. Do USA a favor and tell all ur grandpa friends to stop voting like its 1954.... Newest IPHONE? The only kids buying the newest IPHONES are the kids of wealthy families that U make richer by agreeing Americans should work for less and longer. Don't blame the kids. Their only 20. America has 60 plus years of institutionalizing conflicts of interest that only make the rich richer. Cause they know they got millions of you old farts that are gonna back them up. Old people don't seem to be alarmed even when prominent bankers openly come out and say, 1950's America is GONE, Never coming back.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 PM

hey sonny boy, before you tell me about jobs that have been shipped overseas why don't you educate yourself on what my trade does. then you can tell me my trade, or any trade, has been shipped overseas.
I, among other things in my career, did commercial HVAC. You don't ship that overseas genius. 60 years? bit more than that. I worked in 1980s, 1990s and the 21st century, not the 1950s. I see you are going to make it in life. What is your claim to fame? Bag boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillStyles View Post
Toooo Average Joe66

I think uve been put in ur place old man. Yea u got it while the getting was good and retired. And its the younger generations fault everyday these "Trades" are being shipped over seas for more profit. Because hiring Americans doesn't compare to the money a CEO makes paying people peanuts over seas in sweat shops. Do USA a favor and tell all ur grandpa friends to stop voting like its 1954.... Newest IPHONE? The only kids buying the newest IPHONES are the kids of wealthy families that U make richer by agreeing Americans should work for less and longer. Don't blame the kids. Their only 20. America has 60 plus years of institutionalizing conflicts of interest that only make the rich richer. Cause they know they got millions of you old farts that are gonna back them up. Old people don't seem to be alarmed even when prominent bankers openly come out and say, 1950's America is GONE, Never coming back.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 AM

237 posts, read 333,389 times
Quote:
hey sonny boy, before you tell me about jobs that have been shipped overseas why don't you educate yourself on what my trade does. then you can tell me my trade, or any trade, has been shipped overseas.
I, among other things in my career, did commercial HVAC. You don't ship that overseas genius. 60 years? bit more than that. I worked in 1980s, 1990s and the 21st century, not the 1950s. I see you are going to make it in life. What is your claim to fame? Bag boy?

As a prior tin knocker of Boston local 17 I think you should show a little thankfulness and compassion and stop running your mouth. The unions in most of the country are very weak and do not offer compensation packages like New York. Its easy for you to blast others on the backs of your prior union brothers who fought for the retirement you have now. Nice, stay classy average Joe.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
As a prior tin knocker of Boston local 17 I think you should show a little thankfulness and compassion and stop running your mouth. The unions in most of the country are very weak and do not offer compensation packages like New York. Its easy for you to blast others on the backs of your prior union brothers who fought for the retirement you have now. Nice, stay classy average Joe.

maybe it is you who needs to stop running their mouth. all I am saying is opportunities abound for those willing to seek them out. too many "college grads" think that they are owed something by society. they are getting a rude awakening showing them that it is still necessary to get out there and bust your butt for what you get. nobody "fought" to get me and many others what they got. it was good leadership of the unions and the men and women who did the job that got us what we needed. the time to be lazy and kicked back waiting for things to land in your lap are over. people got way too complacent thinking that they were entitled to it. no. it takes work to prove yourself to be worthy of it. that is why a huge amount of twenty somethings still live with their parents. they are waiting to be served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or