U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,424,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I've left the white bread world of Boca Raton waterfront, living on boats, living a block off the ocean.
You don't understand what "white bread" means. Temple Terrace is white bread. It's a boring, generic, middle class suburb. Boca Raton is the opposite of white bread. It's an exciting, vibrant, wealthy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 AM

4,811 posts, read 3,454,801 times
Quote:

They must be hiding something. Maybe the ghetto is on the inside. Let's have a look....

Ewwwww. Ghetto. Pure Crap.

And that's just three areas of town often put down by so many of you city-data posters. I'll post some more later as I search town for the PURE CRAP GHETTO I hear so much about. We haven't even looked at the golf course yet. I bet we find the ghetto there.
That's pretty tacky though. My wife works at a not for profit, a lot of their Tampa cases are in suitcase city and I always hear other case managers refer to that area as TT, I also heard people who live there say "I live in Temple Terrace", I understand that, that is not correct, there is a misconception by a lot of people of where TT is exactly. Looking at a map for TT its a jigsaw puzzle.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe area to live in Tampa?-tt.png  

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
You don't understand what "white bread" means. Temple Terrace is white bread. It's a boring, generic, middle class suburb. Boca Raton is the opposite of white bread. It's an exciting, vibrant, wealthy place.
Boca was more interesting in the 80s, back when there was still something to build. Pretty much just resting on its laurels now. It's mostly just façade. Knock on any of those massive looking columns in Mizner Park or pretty much anywhere and you'll find it hollow. The new "architecture" is mostly stuccoed styrofoam. Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
That's pretty tacky though. My wife works at a not for profit, a lot of their Tampa cases are in suitcase city and I always hear other case managers refer to that area as TT, I also heard people who live there say "I live in Temple Terrace", I understand that, that is not correct, there is a misconception by a lot of people of where TT is exactly. Looking at a map for TT its a jigsaw puzzle.
Yeah, pretty much every city has uneven borders as they scoop up areas of the unincorporated county and there are very few cities in this county. Most of the area is probably county proper, not city proper.

Even infamous suitcase city, which is immediately adjacent to Lake Magdalene and about a mile and half from Lake Carroll of Carrollwood fame, is not even near Temple Terrace, being separated by a 1,748-acre, 39,000-student (local population on this campus alone) university. The City of Temple Terrace has just 24,000 residents so there's basically a pretty large city disguised as the 9th largest university in the country between here and that nonsense.

Plug in Tampa on that map and you'll see it jigsaw around that rougher area, on it's way up to incorporate the area known as New Tampa. Seems no one wants to claim it. But as Tampa Bay grows over the next 20 years, there likely will be a push as there has been in other growth areas for local municipalities to incorporate county pockets. So were that to happen over there, the most likely cities to include suitcase city (which by then could very well experience some gentrification) would be either Tampa which it is already adjacent to by having extended boundaries to New Tampa, or, if there's ever such a push to incorporate, I could see Magdalene/Carrollwood combining into it's own real city and so then either there or Tampa would be suitcase city-adjacent to incorporate them.

Never would it be part of Temple Terrace which is no where near there.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM

2,708 posts, read 4,380,348 times
Quote:
I don't judge an area by conspicuous consumption. I've left the white bread world of Boca Raton waterfront, living on boats, living a block off the ocean. Just about my entire life has been on the water, including a Caribbean island. I've decades of that thank you. I've no idea what is Dunedin, never been. Probably would be nothing special to me though I'm sure it's a lovely area that it's residents enjoy and are proud of. My comment had nothing to do with the town but with a mischaracterization of one of it's residents lodged as a cowardly attack in conjunction with numerous others, particularly disappointing since that poster had pretended to be nice to me in the past. Not a problem. I find people show their true character eventually.

As for your merchants, most of those establishments locate towards the center of larger populations where more people get to them and Temple Terrace--though more convenient to downtown than Carrollwood due to the Dale Mabry rush hour while this area has probably the best access to both I-75 & 275 & I-4, so it is ideal not just for USF students but also for commuters--while it borders urban Tampa it also borders a 15,000 acre wilderness (I love it in there, there's some good mountain biking trails) and as far as I know, the wildlife there doesn't shop Trader Joes.

But as the I-4 corridor populates in the making of the Tampa/Orlando megalopolis, Temple Terrace is ideally situated--by easy access to interstates, by the educational and medical infrastructure already in place, by light rail which surely will have a major hub at USF--to take advantage of that future growth.

As to restaurants, besides that my mother never cooked so I was raised on restaurant meals, besides that I think that Bonefish is garbage (I've tried it at least three times with others who thought it fabulous and had maybe one semi-decent meal there) --certainly I would never take guests there--but whatever you think is good food is fine by me. I think there is a Starbucks, another idiot dive I never go into, on Fowler at 50th maybe? I seem to remember accompanying my conspicuously consumptive sister in law there one morning. But I do go across the street every so often for a bagel. The one with Asiago cheese is tasty.
Hey, nothing personal. Often times I am simply responding to a post without looking at the user name of the poster. If you search my posts you will find that I have agreed and disagreed on posts by various people over here. It is not that I am nice at one time and not so nice another time to you or to anybody for that matter. I am just responding to the post. When you want to put a "street" stat together with big cities and make a consistent conclusion and claim, it doesn't make sense statistically. That's all I am saying.

Can you tell us what is the sample size of the the two streets you always bold highlight? You probably can't or won't. For me, you have to account for the sample size if you want to claim on a given stat.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 03-17-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Hey, nothing personal. Often times I am simply responding to a post without looking at the user name of the poster. If you search my posts you will find that I have agreed and disagreed on posts by various people over here. It is not that I am nice at one time and not so nice another time to you or to anybody for that matter. I am just responding to the post. When you want to put a "street" stat together with big cities and make a consistent conclusion and claim, it doesn't make sense statistically. That's all I am saying.

Can you tell us what is the sample size of the the two streets you always bold highlight? You probably can't or won't. For me, you have to account for the sample size if you want to claim on a given stat.

Have a nice day!
Again, you are wrong. I never said or posted stats about "a street", but about areas according to demographics. I merely specified some areas, in this case two of them, which were W of 56th because so many of you mischaracterizing city-data posters with bad intent kept dissing W of 56th. But not only are you wrong to say I was trying to show just one street compared to an entire city, which I did not do, but also you would be wrong to even claim that I was only showing some areas--not a street--compared to an entire city because I also showed the entire town to which those areas belong which I clearly listed as GREATER TEMPLE TERRACE, itself ranked not as high as some areas of town but overall, according to wiki citing city-data, the municipality of Temple Terrace does have the highest education attainment of residents of any other city in Florida, so the lists show that too.

As to your being too lazy to look up the data yourself, it is easily googled. I'm not here to do your work for you. As to you showing yourself to be being two-faced, by on the one hand acting friendly and on the other hand mischaracterizing with your false information, you have a nice day too!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 AM

2,708 posts, read 4,380,348 times
Hey whatever makes you happy to be where you live. Obiously people choose to live in an area that make them happy. But I am not sure why you take it personal when someone doesn't agree on your assessment of Temple Terrace. In fact, if you just saw my posting in this thread I said the OP can find nice place to live over there. I personally didn't put down TT anywhere in this thread or other. I only mentioned that the stat you keep posting that compares DC, Miami and other areas to "Hamer's 56 St. Estate West of 56 st FL" whatever that means make no sense.You can NOT compare a percentage calculated for such huge area versus a microscopic one in your hood and make a claim is all I am saying. That's is not how statistics are interpreted.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Boca was more interesting in the 80s, back when there was still something to build. Pretty much just resting on its laurels now. It's mostly just façade. Knock on any of those massive looking columns in Mizner Park or pretty much anywhere and you'll find it hollow. The new "architecture" is mostly stuccoed styrofoam. Yawn.

Yeah, pretty much every city has uneven borders as they scoop up areas of the unincorporated county and there are very few cities in this county. Most of the area is probably county proper, not city proper.

Even infamous suitcase city, which is immediately adjacent to Lake Magdalene and about a mile and half from Lake Carroll of Carrollwood fame, is not even near Temple Terrace, being separated by a 1,748-acre, 39,000-student (local population on this campus alone) university. The City of Temple Terrace has just 24,000 residents so there's basically a pretty large city disguised as the 9th largest university in the country between here and that nonsense.

Plug in Tampa on that map and you'll see it jigsaw around that rougher area, on it's way up to incorporate the area known as New Tampa. Seems no one wants to claim it. But as Tampa Bay grows over the next 20 years, there likely will be a push as there has been in other growth areas for local municipalities to incorporate county pockets. So were that to happen over there, the most likely cities to include suitcase city (which by then could very well experience some gentrification) would be either Tampa which it is already adjacent to by having extended boundaries to New Tampa, or, if there's ever such a push to incorporate, I could see Magdalene/Carrollwood combining into it's own real city and so then either there or Tampa would be suitcase city-adjacent to incorporate them.

Never would it be part of Temple Terrace which is no where near there.
I guess I am not too familiar with that concept, in NY and NJ it goes state, county, city. Any address belongs to all three, it doesnt have to be a city it could be a town, village, but its something then that belongs to a county which belongs to the state, so if its not in the city of tampa and not in TT then where is it?, can something have a street address of 123 elm st, Hillsborough county, FL?. That would be weird, I thought that there were towns which were considered CDP's just because they did not provide services which seems absurd why be a town at that point.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Hey whatever makes you happy to be where you live. Obiously people choose to live in an area that make them happy. But I am not sure why you take it personal when someone doesn't agree on your assessment of Temple Terrace. In fact, if you just saw my posting in this thread I said the OP can find nice place to live over there. I personally didn't put down TT anywhere in this thread or other. I only mentioned that the stat you keep posting that compares DC, Miami and other areas to "Hamer's 56 St. Estate West of 56 st FL" whatever that means make no sense.You can NOT compare a percentage calculated for such huge area versus a microscopic one in your hood and make a claim is all I am saying. That's is not how statistics are interpreted.
Hamner's 56th St Estates is not a street. It is an area W of 56th. 56th St itself is commercial, generally not residential.

Again you continue to mischaracterize me by saying I was trying to be nefarious in some comparison which exists only in your mind but not in reality. Do you seriously think I'm inappropriately comparing one street in TT near USF to all of Berkeley with it's U of C with their 72 Nobel Prizes? Of course TT/USF is not that, duh. But it's not chopped liver either, as it doesn't say nothing that an area near USF approaches their numbers more closely than many other more touted areas of Tampa Bay, and that is an absolutely honest and appropriate comparison. As well, it is somewhat telling even that Greater Temple Terrace--shown in those same lists--ranks higher in education attainment as a percentage of PhD's than even Boston. I certainly wasn't expecting to find that. Temple Terrace has just one Tier 1 school that it is adjacent to and a private college within city limits. Boston has more than 100 colleges and universities. So that is somewhat telling.

I can't help it if the numbers upset you. I didn't make them up. I just reported them as found on city-data stats and listed them in order of percentage. Anything else you made of that is nothing but contrivances of your own mind which you used to project upon me as a mischaracterization of both myself and the data presented.

Quote:
I guess I am not too familiar with that concept, in NY and NJ it goes state, county, city. Any address belongs to all three, it doesnt have to be a city it could be a town, village, but its something then that belongs to a county which belongs to the state, so if its not in the city of tampa and not in TT then where is it?, can something have a street address of 123 elm st, Hillsborough county, FL?. That would be weird, I thought that there were towns which were considered CDP's just because they did not provide services which seems absurd why be a town at that point.
I'm from Bergen County NJ originally where what we call cities and towns here are sometimes called Boroughs there. In other places, like I think its Louisiana, you have Parishes as a local municipality--I'd have to double check that. And I think it is Hawaii which as no actual cities but just areas within counties, each island being its own county. I'd have to double check that too though.

As far as addressing goes, that's a process of the Federal Post Office which often simply uses the larger city of an area. To address Temple Terrace, you could simply put Tampa and it will get there. I don't know but I've never seen an address listing the county though who uses snail mail anymore anyway. I don't see why you couldn't use the county name as long as you have the zip.

I recall years ago a fight in the unincorporated area of Boca Raton, actually Palm Beach County whereby a new development stretched from W of incorporated Boca to W of incorporated Delray Beach so it was in neither of those two towns. And so the post office insisted that the houses W of Delray were to have a Delray address while those being scammed, I mean being sold those houses were told they were buying a Boca development--where west of which was the main entrance--the development not even in Boca proper but in the county. If I recall correctly, the post office won.

But here too are the divisions of State, County, City. For instance, Carrollwood residents might have a Tampa address, but they don't pay into the City of Tampa tax base. That might be where their water bill payments go though. Whereas if you live in Tampa or Temple Terrace, then part of what you pay into the county goes directly to the city of your residence for city services provided.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Hamner's 56th St Estates is not a street. It is an area W of 56th. 56th St itself is commercial, generally not residential.

Again you continue to mischaracterize me by saying I was trying to be nefarious in some comparison which exists only in your mind but not in reality. Do you seriously think I'm inappropriately comparing one street in TT near USF to all of Berkeley with it's U of C with their 72 Nobel Prizes? Of course TT/USF is not that, duh. But it's not chopped liver either, as it doesn't say nothing that an area near USF approaches their numbers more closely than many other more touted areas of Tampa Bay, and that is an absolutely honest and appropriate comparison. As well, it is somewhat telling even that Greater Temple Terrace--shown in those same lists--ranks higher in education attainment as a percentage of PhD's than even Boston. I certainly wasn't expecting to find that. Temple Terrace has just one Tier 1 school that it is adjacent to and a private college within city limits. Boston has more than 100 colleges and universities. So that is somewhat telling.

I can't help it if the numbers upset you. I didn't make them up. I just reported them as found on city-data stats and listed them in order of percentage. Anything else you made of that is nothing but contrivances of your own mind which you used to project upon me as a mischaracterization of both myself and the data presented.

I'm from Bergen County NJ originally where what we call cities and towns here are sometimes called Boroughs there. In other places, like I think its Louisiana, you have Parishes as a local municipality--I'd have to double check that. And I think it is Hawaii which as no actual cities but just areas within counties, each island being its own county. I'd have to double check that too though.

As far as addressing goes, that's a process of the Federal Post Office which often simply uses the larger city of an area. To address Temple Terrace, you could simply put Tampa and it will get there. I don't know but I've never seen an address listing the county though who uses snail mail anymore anyway. I don't see why you couldn't use the county name as long as you have the zip.

I recall years ago a fight in the unincorporated area of Boca Raton, actually Palm Beach County whereby a new development stretched from W of incorporated Boca to W of incorporated Delray Beach so it was in neither of those two towns. And so the post office insisted that the houses W of Delray were to have a Delray address while those being scammed, I mean being sold those houses were told they were buying a Boca development--where west of which was the main entrance--the development not even in Boca proper but in the county. If I recall correctly, the post office won.

But here too are the divisions of State, County, City. For instance, Carrollwood residents might have a Tampa address, but they don't pay into the City of Tampa tax base. That might be where their water bill payments go though. Whereas if you live in Tampa or Temple Terrace, then part of what you pay into the county goes directly to the city of your residence for city services provided.
I moved here from Glen Rock, NJ. Bergen county is my favorite place.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I moved here from Glen Rock, NJ. Bergen county is my favorite place.
Bergen's beautiful as is most of Jersey. One of my childhood best friends moved out by you while we were growing up, to Fairlawn. We're from over by the bridge. My old town is still beautiful and in fact starting tomorrow I've got a small group of us, about 10, final count pending, descending for a week upon my home here from grade school there. We've got my house and another house. Some I've known since pre-K. One guy claims I bit him. haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or