Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times

Advertisements

My son has met and has been dating a lovely woman. He has booked a trip to Key West next month and would like to propose to her. We are passing down a family diamond, but he needs to find a quality place to purchase an engagement setting and have the diamond mounted.

Can anyone recommend a good quality, honest and reasonably priced place for this near Clearwater? First or second hand experience prefered.

Thx much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,407,676 times
Congrats!

I can first hand give a recommendation for:

International Diamond Center
10330 N Dale Mabry Hwy #110, Tampa, FL
IDC Jewelry Store Tampa | Diamond Engagement Rings | Orlando | Savannah

They're on Dale Mabry just north of Busch Blvd. They used to be a small independent store but then IDC bought them. I am not really familiar with IDC other than knowing of the store in Clearwater so I was worried it was some mega chain that would turn them horrible but so far it hasn't happened.

I know of them because my wife's e-ring is a six prong solitaire and it has started to come loose twice. We took it in there and they serviced it both times free of charge. We've had it in a few times for the annual inspections our insurance requires as well, no charge. I offered to pay each time and was told no. I know this is just a good will gesture to make you want to buy stuff, but if that's what it is, so be it; they have been cordial and performed good work each time. It did work in the end; after a few years of getting everything free I bought her some earrings from them last year. Same people are still there so no qualms recommending them.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,529 times
Helzberg Diamond Store or Zales even.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM

372 posts, read 808,348 times
Had a wonderful experience at Kays.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
Gold and Diamond Source: Tampa Jewelry, Diamonds, Rings, Wedding Bands

I see commercials for Gold & Diamond Source all the time and they are on Ulmerton. Family owned and operated.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
The Jewelry exchange near Tampa airport. Great prices for settings and diamonds.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Gold and Diamond Source: Tampa Jewelry, Diamonds, Rings, Wedding Bands

I see commercials for Gold & Diamond Source all the time and they are on Ulmerton. Family owned and operated.
Their TV commercials make me never want to go there. They're not as bad as Morgan & Morgan but they're close.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM

210 posts, read 381,949 times
The best recommendation is be knowledgable of the 4 Cs and to buy a certified diamond, so matter where he goes. Otherwise jewelers alway overstate the quality a little bit.....and even if you have a good eye and can judge clarity and color, the cut is something no one can eyeball, and makes a huge difference in "sparkle".

BlueNile.com has only certified diamonds, in all price ranges, and DH and I have used them for a few purchases. They even have an upgrade-buyback policy. I reommend them at least for comparison shopping if your son is not comfortable buying from an online store. He can get an idea of what any size, any quality diamond should cost.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
The best recommendation is be knowledgable of the 4 Cs and to buy a certified diamond, so matter where he goes. Otherwise jewelers alway overstate the quality a little bit.....and even if you have a good eye and can judge clarity and color, the cut is something no one can eyeball, and makes a huge difference in "sparkle".

BlueNile.com has only certified diamonds, in all price ranges, and DH and I have used them for a few purchases. They even have an upgrade-buyback policy. I reommend them at least for comparison shopping if your son is not comfortable buying from an online store. He can get an idea of what any size, any quality diamond should cost.
I agree on Bluenile; have bought several diamonds from them. I don't think you read the OP's post though; the diamond is being passed down, they just need a jeweler to sell them a setting and mount it.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Their TV commercials make me never want to go there. They're not as bad as Morgan & Morgan but they're close.
I just look forward to seeing Julie in all her splendor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay