U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM

819 posts, read 1,008,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
However, what you will discover is that even though the standard of living is much higher here, everyone loves to complain. You've come to the right website to get a taste of all the whining. People actually think that driving 30 minutes between cities during rush hour is a nightmare, or that having to pay a dollar an hour to park in the center of downtown is an outrage.
lol, so basically you're saying Tampa Bay natives, or long time residents, won't appreciate what they have here until experiencing how much worse things are elsewhere?

In any case, I'd be fine with 30 minutes between cities, I was referring to traffic within Brandon. Last weekend I had to go from Tampa proper to Buy Buy Baby in Brandon, to Famous Tate in Brandon, and back to the interstate. That comprises about 11 total miles of travel within Brandon and on a Saturday afternoon it consumed 35 minutes of driving time. So I averaged about 18 mph on 45 mph roads. I can only imagine it's worse when you're trying to traverse Brandon during rush hour just to get to the crosstown on-ramp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM

2,710 posts, read 4,390,986 times
People do complain here a lot but never leave. In fact, most workers retire here . Just using the state workers as an example, more than 87% of the retiree from the Florida state work force remain in the state as of 2013. That's about $5 billion/year back to the state injected every year. Big retirement money is right here in Tampa Bay next to South Florida.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 14,411 times
Quote:
I moved here from Chicago, and it is better in almost all regards. And if I need to get some culture, I fly back to Chicago a few times a year.

I've been here 12 years and it still feels like I am shopping on Black Friday every day. Many things are half price or less compared to Chicago. Real estate, parking, taxes, gasoline, utilities, sporting events, restaurants, bars, EVERYTHING is cheaper.

However, what you will discover is that even though the standard of living is much higher here, everyone loves to complain. You've come to the right website to get a taste of all the whining. People actually think that driving 30 minutes between cities during rush hour is a nightmare, or that having to pay a dollar an hour to park in the center of downtown is an outrage.

Grab a newspaper and read the local opinion page for a week or scroll through some of the manifestos posted on this site. It's unbelievable.
Hey thanks, I really appreciate it. We have been doing a pro's and con's for both locations. Tampa is clearly outweighing out con's. Jobs will not be an issue either. It just seems less hustle and bustle which is what we are looking for. I know it isn't a huge city from what I've read so far, and hearsay. I think thats what we are looking for though. Thanks for your insight. Is there a certain area that stands out more than the others? Or certain areas...We are leaving Chicago for more room and less noise...is that achievable in Tampa/surrounding suburbs?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM

So 30 minutes from city to city is average traffic? How congested does it get there?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,949,003 times
There are a couple of bottlenecks that you will quickly learn about. The I-4/275 junction, the northbound Howard Frankland Bridge into Tampa, and a few others. If you are going from St Pete to downtown Tampa in rush hour through the bottleneck, it will take you over an hour. If you take an alternate route (like the grossly underutilized Crosstown Expy), it will take you 20 minutes. People here would rather sit in traffic than pay a dollar or two in tolls.

Except for a few times (Friday at rush hour), you can go from downtown Tampa to downtown Clearwater or downtown St Pete in 30 minutes or less, easily. Some of the suburbs are very heavily built-out and the traffic can get pretty bad (Brandon, Carrollwood, New Tampa, Westchase, etc).

St. Pete is laid out very similarly to Chicago: a long waterfront, museums alongs the park, northern affluent waterfront communities, southern depressed neighborhoods, a grid pattern, and easy access to highways to get you in and out.

I live in NE St Pete on a large waterfront lot that would cost 5 times as much in Chicago. Actually, you can't buy 1/3 acre on the water in Chicago. Traffic is never an issue, unless I have to go from St Pete to the northern parts of Tampa during rush hour. It's quiet, relatively affluent, 10 minutes to downtown by car, 15 by waverunner or 30 minutes by bike.

The one thing that detractors are correct about is the driving. Tampa Bay has many more roadway deaths than a metro area ten times its size. It really is bad -- they will run you down in a crosswalk or a bike lane like it's Death Race 2000. The daily newspaper should have a separate obituary section just for the body counts.

Last edited by chi_tino; 03-11-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,949,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
lol, so basically you're saying Tampa Bay natives, or long time residents, won't appreciate what they have here until experiencing how much worse things are elsewhere?
That is exactly what I am saying.

These are the same people that don't understand why residents from other states keep moving to Florida.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
There are a couple of bottlenecks that you will quickly learn about. The I-4/275 junction, the northbound Howard Frankland Bridge into Tampa, and a few others. If you are going from St Pete to downtown Tampa in rush hour through the bottleneck, it will take you over an hour. If you take an alternate route (like the grossly underutilized Crosstown Expy), it will take you 20 minutes. People here would rather sit in traffic than pay a dollar or two in tolls.

Except for a few times (Friday at rush hour), you can go from downtown Tampa to downtown Clearwater or downtown St Pete in 30 minutes or less, easily. Some of the suburbs are very heavily built-out and the traffic can get pretty bad (Brandon, Carrollwood, New Tampa, Westchase, etc).

St. Pete is laid out very similarly to Chicago: a long waterfront, museums alongs the park, northern affluent waterfront communities, southern depressed neighborhoods, a grid pattern, and easy access to highways to get you in and out.

I live in NE St Pete on a large waterfront lot that would cost 5 times as much in Chicago. Actually, you can't buy 1/3 acre on the water in Chicago. Traffic is never an issue, unless I have to go from St Pete to the northern parts of Tampa during rush hour. It's quiet, relatively affluent, 10 minutes to downtown by car, 15 by waverunner or 30 minutes by bike.

The one thing that detractors are correct about is the driving. Tampa Bay has many more roadway deaths than a metro area ten times its size. It really is bad -- they will run you down in a crosswalk or a bike lane like it's Death Race 2000. The daily newspaper should have a separate obituary section just for the body counts.
So St. Pete runs on a grid pattern? What are the desirable areas to live at in St. Pete? I keep hearing south, or don't pass the rail road tracks, any insight? Also do you guys have an I-Pass system for tolls? I mean there are tolls here and I much would rather take a toll at $0.80 cents than sit in traffic. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM

819 posts, read 1,008,374 times
Yep, http://www.sunpass.com You can use a box with suction cups if you want to move it between vehicles, or stickers that adhere to the windshield if you don't want to deal with it. Typically they charge you about a cent more than the toll rate for the convenience of using it; i.e. I pay $0.51 every time I go to St Pete Beach instead of $0.50 in cash.

Trulia has a good crime heatmap that will give you some ideas of where the bad stuff happens. For example, I was looking at waterfront in Coquina Key in South St Pete, it's nice and green, but you have to go through some pretty rough areas to get from there to the interstate so I passed:

Coquina Key, Saint Petersburg crimes - Trulia.com

Just zoom out on that map and drag it around and zoom in on other areas you're interested in. Don't be too alarmed about high crime counts if you don't zoom in and investigate because they could be stupid things that aren't necessarily cause for concern, like disorderly juvenile, runaway, domestic quarrel, etc.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM

[quote=spbbound;33832842]Yep, http://www.sunpass.com You can use a box with suction cups if you want to move it between vehicles, or stickers that adhere to the windshield if you don't want to deal with it. Typically they charge you about a cent more than the toll rate for the convenience of using it; i.e. I pay $0.51 every time I go to St Pete Beach instead of $0.50 in cash.

Really?!?!...Chicago I-Pass reduces the rate to half the toll for using the Pass. Interesting.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM

SPB, I assume the crime rate is nothing in comparison we have here... i.e it shot up to 57 degree yesterday and there were over 10 shootings in the same neighborhood. I am assuming population density is not comparable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay