U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 PM

79 posts, read 302,614 times

Advertisements

All opinions are welcome on my following question/search for guidance re: area to live based upon following info:

- My wife will be working on Bruce B. Downs Blvd., right next to University Community Hospital.

- I will be working in Downtown Tampa (Sun Trust Bldng).

Would like to know what a good happy medium is in terms of commuting for both of us. I would imagine she's got the easier commute for the most part?

I was looking at Carrollwood as a possible choice, but since I don't know the area, I seek your guidance. I don't care so much about distance in miles as I do about ease/time of commute, but fair's fair, so something as close to in between as possible would be nice.

We'll be renting. Prefer a condo. No kids. We can afford a nice nabe.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,773 times
I have lived all over Tampa, and like Hyde Park by far the best. Besides being to coolest area as far as restaurants, etc, it is the most centrally located area, 10 mins from airport, malls, downtown, Bayshore Dr., and closer to the beautifull Pinellas beaches than anywhere else in tampa.
As far as being centrally located for your commute, that will be tough. I was going to recommend New Tampa because of it's close proximity to UCH and your wifes work, but your commute would not be fun. I would forget carrolwood if renting, it really is not that appealing nor centrally located to both jobs.

Another area to look would be on the causeway on the way to Clearwater. Look at Post Rocky Point, I have some friends that live there and like it.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,481,734 times
It will be much easier for your wife to commute north from the south (around downtown) up to Bruce B. Downs than for you to join the mass exodus from the nothern suburbs into downtown. South Tampa (between Kennedy and Gandy Blvds) is okay, if you like to party. An often overlooked area for rental houses is Tampa Heights and Riverside Heights. There are nice rentals in Carrolwood, but you'll sit in your car for 15 minutes before you get going anywhere. If it's a condo you want, there are plenty around downtown and the Channelside district and it's an easy commute for both of you. Ybor has actually been turning out some nice looking condo's. That's worth a look, but you'll be near some bad areas, and more drunken parties. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
It will be much easier for your wife to commute north from the south (around downtown) up to Bruce B. Downs than for you to join the mass exodus from the nothern suburbs into downtown. South Tampa (between Kennedy and Gandy Blvds) is okay, if you like to party. An often overlooked area for rental houses is Tampa Heights and Riverside Heights. There are nice rentals in Carrolwood, but you'll sit in your car for 15 minutes before you get going anywhere. If it's a condo you want, there are plenty around downtown and the Channelside district and it's an easy commute for both of you. Ybor has actually been turning out some nice looking condo's. That's worth a look, but you'll be near some bad areas, and more drunken parties. Good luck!
Thanks. We definitely don't want to be near the drunken parties, noise, etc. I live in an apt. building in NYC and just last night the neighbors were having a party till the wee hours and hanging out in the hallways drinking, etc. Who does that?!? I've lost patience for it. So, quieter is nicer.

But I see your point and I figured that her commute would be easier going North than mine would going South, so maybe I'll adjust my perspective to look at places closer geographically to Downtown, though again, I'll take a semi-bad commute over a questionable area any day.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,628,142 times
I would second the suggestion to have your better half go north to UCH. I would stick around South Tampa area(it's not party central, just happens to be one of the most desireable locations due to its location, amenities, recreation, restaurants, etc.) Check out neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Bayshore Beautiful, Bayshore Gardens, Beach Park. There are beautiful condos and townhomes for rent all along Bayshore Blvd, which would be less than a 10 min commute to the office for you, and at most a 30 minute commute for your better half(your better half could drop you off in the morning, and pick you up in the evenings).

Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 AM

15,199 posts, read 31,159,793 times
I disagree a bit with the advice about having your wife trek from S. Tampa to UCH - there is a heckuva a LOT of traffic going north, to USF and all the medical facilities up there - just as much as is going south to downtown. It really is a tossup.

That said, Hyde Park or South Tampa really has some of the nicest neighborhoods, I would stay out of the inner city, there is too much crime. If you go north look to Temple Terrace that is also a lovely neighborhood. But I like Carrollwood, too (the old part). It's a nice area with good restaurants, Fresh Market, good shopping, etc.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,315,251 times
One of the previous posters recommended Rocky Point. While the area is ok (I lived there many many years ago), there are only a couple of mediocre places to eat close by and finding the nearest grocery store requires a plan. Your wife would also be traveling over 20 miles north and east, which I would not recommend unless an hour commute each way is not an issue. I did it to/from Carrollwood when we lived there and it got old really fast. And, Carrollwood has some really nice condos and some new townhouses on the newly renovated golf course, so I don't know where that comment came from either. I do agree that the commute to downtown is not the best from either Carrollwood or Lake Magdalene.

I'm still researching other possibilities for your consideration. Distance-wise, either the Seminole Heights, Forest Hills, or Wellswood areas would work geographically for the both of you, but I don't know of any nice condos in the area to rent. There are some fantastic opportunities to rent condos in the newer high-rises downtown, but that brings back the same issues with shopping and restaurants (night time) plus your wife's commute north/south for 12-15 miles.

Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and several may disagree with me. <g>

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-05-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 12:55 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,306,637 times
I would stick to the South Tampa area. I have friends who did the reverse Hyde Park to USF commute, and it was only about 25-30 minutes.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Maybe some more info is in order:

My hours at work are flexible - basically can come in to the office anytime between 7am and 9am. Plus I'm allowed to work @ home 1x per week. So, the reality is that I'd be commuting 4 days per week and can get to work early to avoid some of the traffic.

The wife on the other hand has to commute every day, "normal" business hours.

For these reasons, I'm more amenable to living north of Downtown.

I think living in South Tampa and commuting to UCH every day during normal commuting hours might be too much. Yes?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,916,851 times
I would have to agree with S. Tampa.. There are condos and townhomes all around the area. Coming from NYC you would probably feel more at home there. Some areas you would be able to walk to restaurants and little shops (in more than one area you can find this). There are a lot of nice apts too that cater to professional and military personel.

I agree with TampaKaren, Rocky point, while nice is nasty during rush hour. You will be lucky to go 5 miles an hour some days.

Carrollwood traffic would be heavy for you depending on the time you work. Your wife's commute would be affect a little since the roads east are busy too.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-05-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay