U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 13,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You're welcome!

For the 1st statement in bold is why I suggested a trip down. THAT is exactly what you can do down here, you can compare the stuff that "you" buy on average and see what you can come up with.
For the 2nd statement in bold: if you have a week to "explore", then you have to start thinking in Florida terms:
1. Driving time...so whatever you choose to do has to be mapped and timed to see how long on average + traffic will that eat out of your time
2. Pick things that you are interested in doing on weekends,
3. Take your grocery list down with you, and price it out item by item (but be warn that when gas prices rise, so are the grocery items here.
4. DON'T PUT GAS IN YOUR CAR IN OR NEXT TO A TOURIST ATTRACTION! If you go to Disney for one day, gas up anywhere on I-4 BUT around Disney directly; one gas station on Vineland Road was charging (and still is) $5,99 for a gallon of gas! Talk about gouging in style!
5. I don't know what you do for work, but another thing you can do is find a place that you might be working at, let's say you work for an ad agency, google for one in Tampa, they are usually around Largo, Clearwater, St Pete, and then take the zip code and google for homes, then schools if you need that too...then calculate driving time and add another 15/20 minutes for traffic etc.

The commute really depends, a friend of mine took an hour to get from Town & Country to Clearwater beach last week! At 12pm. We have three bridges and a lot of people who can't drive and cause accidents, blocking these roadways and messing up the traffic increasing commutes. 40 minutes would be nice, but it rarely happens.

Regarding restaurants, we are full of chains here; there are few restaurants that aren't chains which are quite expensive, and not worth the drive if you end up living far away in some of those subdivisions. "Visually speaking" you're trading a real city, for the same house repeated 300 times. So "visually speaking" you will be bored quite fast. Every new build here has no Florida feel at all, so like nothing tropical, nice bright colors or any of that; everything is boring beige; sometimes I wonder why out of all the colors on the spectrum these people choose beige...We're from Miami as I stated earlier, so we're used to color being used everywhere, Tampa looks like Ohio on a rainy day pretty much if we're talking architectural diversity. I am not sure why people pay so much to become architects and then design these ****ty looking buildings everywhere. So to see some color, you have to drive to Sarasota...and find hidden places, or very south in St Pete...passed Don Caesar...

Crime is plentiful here; if you turn on the Tv that's ALL you hear about. The news channels here are a joke! Stay away from East Tampa...awful area. You won't live in the city limits here unless you end up in South Tampa, which is expensive...you'll be in a suburb somewhere like Westchase, Wesley Chapel, Carrollwood, Palm Harbor, Dunedin, etc., so you have to be really assertive regarding how much commuting you are really willing to do; because the more you commute the less time you'll have to have fun! Ideally, you find out where work is, then find a place to live close by...or find a place to live, and see what "work" is around it...

You have to stop thinking in NYC terms though because this is recipe for disaster and disappointment! You have to view this as a new start, as if you moved to Australia...new environment, new bugs, new streets, etc.

Regarding entertainment, well we don't have "LOCAL" entertainment like NYC does. In other words we don't have a Broadway Blvd filled with theaters that have their own seasons every year; shows come here to VISIT...which makes the tickets VERY expensive. If NYC is the only place you lived thus far, you will deal with a cultural shock for a while.
1. Right I checked a few places and where I/we would possible work and the driving time. Worked out to be in average to 45 min with traffic according to Google Maps
2. Would vary but I guess mainly beach, stuff in Tampa,drive around etc. so I imagine traffic cannot be worse than here. Hoping of course it is somewhat better (just in average) but yes we will have to check that.
3. Yes a good idea last time I have been to FL is a few years ago. We are pretty economic for being in NYC so would probably try to continue that down there.
4.Definitely, same as here close to the airport (although have to say its still decently cheap) so won't make that mistake.
5.So far I have seen a few sporadically would be in Clearwater and Tampa. I read that the commute from clearwater to tampa or vise versa seems to be a PITA. Sounds about what you said. How long would that normally take? To be honest that does not shock me given how long it takes here in average unless you drive to long island at certain times than its smooth.

I was checking a few nice places but have yet to match them against good neighbourhoods so will have to dig further.

Too bad there are not that many good places. I read that supposedly in tampa there is some decent amount and good food. Not expecting too too much but f there is really nothing thatwould suck.

So crime is plentiful but as it reads mostly limited to certain parts , that if you avoid those you should be ok. Did you have any confrontation with anything (theft,break in etc.) in the time you have been there?

It will be a new start we just want something that is different and hopefully better (at east i found a lot of pros also for the cons.
I am ok with no constant broadway shows that you could go to, just trying to see if there is somewhere to go to once in a while: shows, museums, whatever there is.

No I moved from germany to nyc so I have seen different and I am not a real fan of NYC to begin with. Mainly hoping crome is not as bad and there won't be a carjacking like they have in south africa etc. and the rest can mostly be worked with.

By the way anybody know if there is a way to remove the private message limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 2,592,512 times
I live in St. Pete (Kenwood area) and I feel safe taking a jog myself during the day. For the most part, it's a middle class neighborhood with a few odd folks thrown in. Of COURSE you have your druggies/beggers (FL is low income in a lot of areas, this is no exception) but I don't see that as a reason to turn a place down. I have never felt uncomfortable here, or in Downtown SP. I cannot answer much about Tampa as I spend most of my time here, I'm a bit obsessed with it here to be honest. I live in an apartment.

Basically if you exercise common safety, I don't think you will find it unsafe here. I think it might be a bit "spookier" in certain parts because it is not as populated as NYC, but then again, you would really have no business in the unpopulated areas at night anyways (most likely).

I don't go out jogging alone at night regardless of where I live. I lock my doors and make sure someone always knows where I am (I live alone).

I love it here, hope you do too!

Also, people are slower drivers here. This area of FL is a melting pot of many different parts of the country (people on vacation, people move here, old people, foreigners on vacation, etc) so you get a LOT of inconsistency in the driving. My morning commute either feels like the Indy 500 or watching an hourglass drop sand grain by grain. I feel weird saying this, but I actually got used to it. I'm more patient and defensive now.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,386,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsunnow View Post
Thanks for your input!

We definitely plan on visiting first. I was there once on vacation but that is not the reason for looking there. I figured the economy in Tampa is a little better in average than the rest of florida, especially as we do not want to move to Miami.

I was more looking for an average experience from people moving form here just for the sake of perspective. I know salaries in average are way lower down there but the aboslute price can still be judged as high or low etc. From my research it still look that even with less money you can afford more things than here.

Have a friend that moved to alm beach and the insurance he pays (roughly $900 / 6 months) is what I kind of would expect (as you said not established as far as driving history in the US goes).

As far as ALDI is concerned they have it here in NYC and it has always been clean for us and a great way to save money when you select the decent stuff. Good to know it might be more in the rough neighborhoods only down there (Weird here the ALDI is pretty similar to the German one given the products obviously differ but at least the chocolate is often the exact same from their german store etc. )

Totally aware it depends where you live, currently one of the borough and not in Manhattan so in general the commute of 45-60 min is pretty good for here. I checked on Google Maps and supposedly around 40 min from tampa to clearwater, would that hold any truth in average (just one example)?

I totally agree with you craigslist down there seems worthless when looking for jobs, here it is the #1 source and easy to get tons of good paying jobs there without the need to fill out a 30min online form.Any advice as where else to look?
I checked the usual ones but looking also for other sources (besides monster,indeed..)

I am not really trying to compare tampa in lets say transportation , amount of store etc. Rather I want to get a feel for people's subjective feeling when moving down there. I know NYC obviously has way better transportation (but thats why we rather get a car anywyas) , more restuarants (don't care for less but rather good), less shows etc (although I read there seems to be plenty of stuff to do.

We are not expecting paradise, I guess for that I would pick other places but a good compromise of work/life. Here it is just too busy, too full and the so many things that people seem to be excited about are not worth the hassle. We will only move with at least one of us having a job already (at least $50k) even if it means taking a perhaps substantial pay cut.

Fully agree with you that it varies for all people thats why e.g. when looking at trip advisor I learned to only read the negative reviews rather than the good ones. More than less often I can find useful info that realtes to what we look for. Guess you will still have a lot of people that were looking for something totally different but it helps to get a better idea.
We plan on doing a visit before(unfortunately probably just a week) to check things out, but the real every day life is hard to emulate.

But one thing before I forget it, how would you personally judge the crime rate down there? NYC is pretty big but also has tons of cops and not really any major problems such as roadkill, theft on a scale I have seen for all the stats for the tampa area.

Thanks a lot again and enjoy the day (sunny here in NYC as well today and warmer )
This is not true at all. I know two Aldis (one in at Sheldon and Hillsborough, and the other in U19 in Clearwater). Both are NOT in rough places at all. Just average place that you find 90% Tampa Bay area. If those locations are considered rough, then the whole Tampa Bay is going to be rough for you. Some people really like to exaggerate, JMO.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I live in St. Pete (Kenwood area) and I feel safe taking a jog myself during the day. For the most part, it's a middle class neighborhood with a few odd folks thrown in. Of COURSE you have your druggies/beggers (FL is low income in a lot of areas, this is no exception) but I don't see that as a reason to turn a place down. I have never felt uncomfortable here, or in Downtown SP. I cannot answer much about Tampa as I spend most of my time here, I'm a bit obsessed with it here to be honest. I live in an apartment.

Basically if you exercise common safety, I don't think you will find it unsafe here. I think it might be a bit "spookier" in certain parts because it is not as populated as NYC, but then again, you would really have no business in the unpopulated areas at night anyways (most likely).

I don't go out jogging alone at night regardless of where I live. I lock my doors and make sure someone always knows where I am (I live alone).

I love it here, hope you do too!

Also, people are slower drivers here. This area of FL is a melting pot of many different parts of the country (people on vacation, people move here, old people, foreigners on vacation, etc) so you get a LOT of inconsistency in the driving. My morning commute either feels like the Indy 500 or watching an hourglass drop sand grain by grain. I feel weird saying this, but I actually got used to it. I'm more patient and defensive now.
Thanks for your input.
Just looking for some flights etc. so we can check it out next month. Will check out some different areas. I guess we will have to see ourselves but given you did not get your car stolen etc. thats a good start. In our neighbourhood here we can go walk at any time of the day/night and do not have to be worried about anything. Guess it will be an adjustment but as long as it not as bad everywhere it should be ok.

Driving wise I would assume it is also a lot of retirees down there that might impact it a lot as well. In average if it all is ok im fine with that obviously would not want to spend 2-3 hrs instead of 45 min but we shall see that as well.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
This is not true at all. I know two Aldis (one in at Sheldon and Hillsborough, and the other in U19 in Clearwater). Both are NOT in rough places at all. Just average place that you find 90% Tampa Bay area. If those locations are considered rough, then the whole Tampa Bay is going to be rough for you. Some people really like to exaggerate, JMO.
Thanks for that, definitely helps. Will have to check them out but would not expect them to be in rough neighborhoods.

The only main concern was/is the crime in general so if thats not as bad as I read so far it is promising.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend all.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,794,387 times
I have been here since 1997 and have never been a victim of crime...when I lived in Queens we had three cars stolen and our garage was broken into...take that info however you wish...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I have been here since 1997 and have never been a victim of crime...when I lived in Queens we had three cars stolen and our garage was broken into...take that info however you wish...
Thats good that you did not have any problem with crime down there. I guess it got way better here in NYC in the past 10 years from what I heard, and is now pretty much the safest large city in the US.
We were just concerend of getting a car stolen , apt/hou broken into etc from reading all the stats and the negative comments on this forum.

Definitely looking to get down there again and check out a few things, hopefully that will make the decision easier.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,621,584 times
Quote:
I stopped reading after "I know two Aldis.. both not in rough places at all". You lost credibility. Aldis (based in Germany), don't even accept credit cards and are mainly for low income people. The one I know in mid Pinellas, is in a questionable area.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I stopped reading after "I know two Aldis.. both not in rough places at all". You lost credibility. Aldis (based in Germany), don't even accept credit cards and are mainly for low income people. The one I know in mid Pinellas, is in a questionable area.
Sorry but have to disagree here. Yes they do not accept CC neither do they here just debit. Just part of their concept of saving money. You can find tons of good stuff there actualy for way cheaper. The other crap stuff well is just a copy of the brand (so the brand is crap too).
Not sure how it differs down there but generally ALDI is not aimed only at poor people in Germany thats for sure. First of all they are everywhere and have such a rapid growth that helped lower prices in other grocery stores as common stuff has just been substantially cheaper there.
We will just check it out, and in general thats not the important criteria but would have been nice to utilize there as well for some things.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,606,359 times
Quote:
I don't consider anywhere on "Hillsborough Ave" a nice area! It's all ran down, and the one's I was referring to were on Florida Avenue with Bearss, and another one in East Tampa...If it wasn't like that then how come there isn't one on Dale Mabry next to Whole Foods? fair question. Not everyone is Carrollwood is a millionaire feeding from WH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or