Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,784,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
My Publix runs out of canned chicken stock, flank steak, bananas all the time, orange juice, things that ARE NOT on sale, you name it.
I guess I am lucky to have good Publix near me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
If Sav-a-Lot doesn't have it, you don't need it.
Maybe if one finds food simply a means for survival...

Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Reading these threads really makes me appreciate living in Sarasota - this area is LOADED with great grocery options, a place like TJ is just one of many. Lately the beautiful SuperTarget here has upped their game and offers tons of organic and natural options even more than before at prices more reasonable than anywhere. And the Publix grocery stores here are just phenomenal - even the tiny, older store near my house offers almost anything I could want, including langostino which is impossible to find most anywhere else.

Anyway, hope Tampa enjoys its new TJ!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Reading these threads really makes me appreciate living in Sarasota - this area is LOADED with great grocery options, a place like TJ is just one of many. Lately the beautiful SuperTarget here has upped their game and offers tons of organic and natural options even more than before at prices more reasonable than anywhere. And the Publix grocery stores here are just phenomenal - even the tiny, older store near my house offers almost anything I could want, including langostino which is impossible to find most anywhere else.

Anyway, hope Tampa enjoys its new TJ!
It's amazing what happens when there is suddenly competition in the grocery industry on a local level. I used to live in Washington DC at the beginning of the renaissance of redevelopment within the city (early 2000s) and we were severely underserved with grocery stores, having just one small Safeway which was un-affectionately referred to as the "Soviet Safeway" due to long lines, perpetually being out of lots of product and having poor quality produce and meats. Luckily a Whole Foods moved in two blocks away and you wouldn't believe what happened to the Safeway...they remodeled, changed management, added staff, cleaned up the store and even upped their organic selections tremendously. I'm happy Trader Joe's is moving into FL and look forward to shopping soon at the Winter Park location. Competition benefits the consumer and is a win-win in terms of both economic growth and quality of life in terms of food shopping.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,009,870 times
They expect so many people there will be close to TEN police officers there.

Expect crowds, parking squeeze at Trader Joe's Tampa debut | Tampa Bay Times

Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 AM

792 posts, read 2,287,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
They expect so many people there will be close to TEN police officers there.

Expect crowds, parking squeeze at Trader Joe's Tampa debut | Tampa Bay Times
LOL, I can't believe people get so worked up over a dang novelty grocery store. If they were giving away free beer , I could perhaps understand the excitement. But just because they sell chocolate covered potato chips or pickle ice cream, I don't get it.

If that stuff was really that awesome and everybody truly wanted it, then places like Walmart and Publix would carry it. It's all novelty nonsense.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,794,804 times
When/If Wegman's ever comes to Tampa, THAT will be a big deal.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:45 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,817,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
When/If Wegman's ever comes to Tampa, THAT will be a big deal.
It sure is a big deal around here. There is one about 2 hours away from me opening soon and I want to go just to see what all the crazyness is around Wegman's (which I really don't know too much about).

Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,817,009 times
Quote:
LOL, I can't believe people get so worked up over a dang novelty grocery store. If they were giving away free beer , I could perhaps understand the excitement. But just because they sell chocolate covered potato chips or pickle ice cream, I don't get it.

If that stuff was really that awesome and everybody truly wanted it, then places like Walmart and Publix would carry it. It's all novelty nonsense.
Some people, myself included, like variety and options to shop from more than one place. I think it's that simple. Some people could care less and happy to shop at the same place. That's ok too.

As far as markets carrying the same thing, now that would be boring (for those who like the variety ). But kidding aside, there's alot that goes into what products make it to what stores. For instance, Whole Foods, even though they carry many local products, won't enter into agreements for everything. I went to an open house at a different market (not a chain) and found some bread I really liked from a local bakery. I asked if I can also find it in Whole Foods and they said no because WF makes their own bread.

p.s. pickle ice cream...that made me chuckle

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Clearly you don't know the store as they don't carry "novelties". What sets Trader Joe's apart is the fact that they don't buy from companies that produce items, they contract with companies to produce at TJ's own specifications, mainstream grocery items with the Trader Joe's label (many of which are organic). In doing so they eliminate the middle man and that price mark-up, and pass the savings to the consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay