U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM

17 posts, read 28,768 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from former New Yorkers (I'm a former Brooklynite) who have been in Florida for a while, perhaps for a few years, and are thinking about moving back to the city because they miss it. That is my situation now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,793,119 times
We have been here in the Tampa bay area since 1997...I visit Queens at least twice a year...there are some things I love like the food and the culture...but the winters suck...the snow piles, the ice and the search for a parking spots...I would never want to go back to that full time...also the tiny apartments or small homes that rent/sell for huge sums is a big turn-off...It's a fun place to visit but I never would go back again...

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,484,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post
I'd like to hear from former New Yorkers (I'm a former Brooklynite) who have been in Florida for a while, perhaps for a few years, and are thinking about moving back to the city because they miss it. That is my situation now.
BBanjo: where in Fl are you? (this could make or break, imo, experiences)

Do you have work in either states?

How long have you been gone from NY?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 AM

I was born and lived in Brooklyn until aged three, grew up and lived in Connecticut for many years. Then I lived in Maine for a few years before returning to Brooklyn where I lived for another 22 years. I lived in Red Hook (19 years) and then in Bay Ridge. I was a teacher for the NYC Board of Ed. for 18 years and retired early. I was on my way to Mexico with three dogs and stopped in Tampa, Florida to visit two of my children. I ended up staying in Florida. I want to return to NYC. But Brooklyn is now so expensive. I have a sister and a son in Brooklyn. I thought I would look for a place in Staten Island. I don't know anything about the Bronx or Queens. I'm interested in the North Shore area -- St. George, Tompkinsville and New Brighton. I now have two dogs (Australian Cattle Dogs) and should probably look for a rental before I buy ( dog-friendly). I want to be near the Bay, a working harbor, where I can hear the foghorns and see the container ships, oil tankers, barges and tugboats. I'd like to be close to the ferry. I'm not a beach person but love a working harbor. I love walking to shops, bars, restaurants. Actually, I love being a regular at a special bar -- when they see me they pour my favorite glass of wine even before I sit down. I would like to live among different ethnic groups/immigrants. Florida is too boring for me. Tell what you think.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 AM

I honestly know exactly what you mean. You should Look in SI. What have you got to lose. NYC is great. Be where you love.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your comments. I've been in Tampa and Safety Harbor for six years. I guess I'm ready for a change. I'd like to be car-free too. I'd have to get used to the weather up north again.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Ugh. The weather in the NE is the problem. I also love car free, but on the flip side, we are walking, shopping, going to school in that WEATHER.

I love and adore nyc like no other, but I do think moving to certain parts of Florida - and the country for that matter, make all the difference. Takes a lot of 'getting used to'. BBanjo - I'm pm-ing you. Hope that's fine, delete me if not. Good luck in all you do.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 13,455 times
Well since youy have dogs that can limit you pretty much. Lots of landlords buildings either do not allow dogs at all or just with weight limits and extra depsosits ($2-500).

We live in one of the nice neighborhoods in queens here in a private house but all depends on your budget?
All depends on your budget you have to rent / buy? which could eliminate a lot of stuff and you might up somewhere in long island.
Do not forget rentals here usually want first and last rent + deposit to get you in unless you rent form a private landlord.
Are you looking for any amenities? Yard ? Parking ?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM

I'm aware of weight limits, extra deposits, etc. for dogs. I could buy a place if I sell one of my two houses in Florida but not in Brooklyn which is the IN place now but in Staten Island. I have a granddaughter there (college student) and a sister in Bay Ridge and a son in Bensonhurst. I would like a condo, coop or apt. but my dogs would prefer their own place -- avid ball-players and neither of them is suitable for a dog park. I'd have to be near the ferry since I would like to get rid of my car and I don't like suburbia. I walked for years with 3-4 dogs in the worst weather (Red Hook, Brooklyn). You have to wear the proper clothing. Well, I'm older now and only have two dogs. It would be nice to rent so I could see how I like various places but if that's not possible, I probably could buy -- in St. George.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM

79 posts, read 74,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post

What is it that you miss? Is your goal to be closer to family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or