Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have decided that we've had enough of these Minnesota winters. We've done a lot of research and we've narrowed it down to the Tampa Bay area. We're not moving for about another year and a half, but we're coming down April 7-10 to get a feel for the area. We've never been there before, so we don't know where to even start. Any suggestions on where to look, and where to stay away from? Good schools and neighborhoods are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:03 PM

323 posts, read 684,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berg123321 View Post
My girlfriend and I have decided that we've had enough of these Minnesota winters. We've done a lot of research and we've narrowed it down to the Tampa Bay area. We're not moving for about another year and a half, but we're coming down April 7-10 to get a feel for the area. We've never been there before, so we don't know where to even start. Any suggestions on where to look, and where to stay away from? Good schools and neighborhoods are important.
As you know, the Tampa Bay area is a fairly broad term. Do you know which county you're wanting to look in? What else is important to you, other than good schools? Proximity to the beach? Nightlife? If you'll be renting, any idea what the budget will be? Will public transit be a factor?

You'll only be here 3 days, which isn't enough time to traverse the entire bay area, so you'll want to narrow it down IMO.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
When you start talking Tampa Bay, you can include the area from Tampa/St Pete down to Sarasota/Venice/North Port/Port Charlotte, about 70 miles.

Tampa and Sarasota both have good economies for Florida, and inland a few miles has reasonably priced housing.

Start with the job search first as unemployment in Florida is still above national averages. Get the job, then stay at an extended stay hotel or apartment complex and do your search in the area where you are employed. Consider renting an apartment for a while. There are on-line crime maps that will help you stay out of the drug areas, and a quick drive through an area will tell you if you really want to live there.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,635 times
Tampa to Sarasota is the area we're thinking. I know it's broad, but that's the reason I'm on here. I guess I'm more looking for areas to avoid so we don't waste time. We plan on renting for at least the first year, just to make sure living there is the right fit before we purchase a house. I guess my budget would be about $1500 a month for rent, we could go higher, but would prefer not to. We plan on making a few more trips down there before we move, this is just an initial recon mission to narrow it down a little. Within a half hour of the beach is prefered, not too concerned about night life (two young kids and used to living in a town with 200 people), no need for public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay