Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,988 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am starting my career in a couple weeks in Clearwater. I am going to have a gross salary of 40k. My estimated monthly net income with 2 allowances would be about $2,500. I have been looking at many apartments in the immediate area. I am particularly interested in Elan Gateway, Ibis Walk, and Bay Isle Key. My top choice is Elan Gateway. The apartments are new and I love how they are modeled. The rent for the floor plan I am looking at is $1,080. I really want to live here, but I am wondering if this is too much money to be spending on rent. I have looked at some other places with a range of $700-$800/month, but they are not nearly as nice. Many of these also do not include a washer/dryer which I would really prefer.

Here is some information regarding my finances. I do not have a car payment (paid off). My car insurance is $70/month. Most of these apartments are <5 miles from my job so I don't see myself spending very much in gas at all (Maybe $20-$30). My cell phone is $60/month. I don't have any other debt.

I am figuring about $50 for water/sewer/trash. I am also figuring $100-$150 for electricity. Food would likely be between $150-$200. Estimating about $50-$75 for high speed internet (Don't need cable). I am also allocating about 20% for savings which would result in $500. This would leave me with about $400 in disposable income. Is this feasible or should I look at places with lower rent? I feel like I could afford it and it would be fine, but I would love some more opinions on the matter.

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 PM

173 posts, read 449,315 times
Roommate.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULAW2015 View Post
Roommate.
I did that in college and it's not something I am interested in doing at this point in my life. Thanks for the input though.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
About a year ago a friend decided to spend nearly half her income on rent because she really wanted to live in a house with a pool. Her arguments were similar- she didn't have cc debt or a car payment. Numerous friends, including me, tried to talk her out of it. It was just not sustainable. She ended up having to have roommates live with her. She's now finally moving up to a place much more affordable.

Try and find a place that is about 25% of your take home pay. It will make things much easier for you.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the input! I will start considering some cheaper places.

Will I have a hard time getting approved for an apartment if I just started a new job? I have plenty of job history prior to this job, but I was curious if I have a high chance of getting denied due to this being a brand new job.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:31 AM

464 posts, read 645,585 times
Just wanted to say 'hats off' to you for having no debt and your 20% savings plan!

Life can fling unexpected expenses at anyone....major car repair, for example.

I'd recommend you find a lower-priced rental to start and see if how your budget works out in reality. You can move to a higher-priced rental later.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
I was going to say the same thing as Gulfporter - I, too, don't have a car payment but there is always the chance of an unexpected repair. Even if your vehicle is fairly new, there's the normal upkeep and always a chance of a flat tire (or replacing tires).

I get the wishlist that you want for an ideal rental situation (I'm a renter as well) but if you can find something that has alot of your "must have's" but not necessarily the "nice to have's", with less rent, save even more than your projected 20% that way you will have even a bigger comfort zone if you do decide to upgrade down the road.

Good luck in your search and with your new job!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Many rental apartment complexes will ask that you have a monthly pay three times the amount of the monthly rent. This is less of problem if you rent privately.

As far a the new job, an engagement letter from your employer should help if anyone questions you..

I would look at slightly less expensive places. It's not forever, just a year's lease. Pick the best of the most affordable. In that year's time, learn the area, you'd be surprised at what else is out there when you're familiar with a place. .

Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM

116 posts, read 226,272 times
The place I live in Atlanta, requires your monthly income be 2.5 x your rent.

I would suggest you fine a place under $850.

Does your job cover 100% of your health ins?

Like others have said- be prepared to have an unexpected expense pop up at least every other month.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
If I were you, I'd look for somewhere around $750 for rent. Your other expenses listed are around $550. That leaves you with $1200 left over, which sounds like a lot of money...but it can go quickly. Especially if you want to save $500 of that. I'd say you may spend more than $200 on groceries a month, too...and what if you decide to eat out for dinner or have a couple lunches each week out? Maybe a few drinks or going out on the weekends? Go to a concert? Have a major car repair?

You don't want to limit your funds all on your housing, especially when moving to an area when there is so much to do and experience.

If you were buying a house, I may suggest differently...spend as much as possible since you are owning and it will actually go somewhere for you. However, with renting- I'd get something in a safe area that has the amenities you need...and skimp where possible.

I wasted a lot of money on rent when I was younger and probably missed out on some things others were doing or I skimped out on some good restaurants or adventures with friends because of my bills...just to live in a "nice" place. Wasn't worth it.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: