Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 11,679 times

Advertisements

I'm a soon-to-be single mom who is considering relocating to the Tampa area.

-- I will probably need to rent a house instead of an apartment, for at least a year or two.
-- There is a school in the Town and Country (? is that right?) area of Tampa that the kids may or may not be attending. Proximity to this is ideal but they might not end up there.
-- We would like to live near some sort of YMCA as we have always been really pleased to use them. I know quality varies, so a nice Y would be a plus.
-- I don't have a job right now, and will likely have to go back to school for at least a semester or two since I've been out of the workforce for so long. Living near a community college would be great.
-- Right now the budget is very frugal. The main priority for us is safety. I'm definitely a little jumpy being on my own as a woman with three kids, and am perfectly happy to compromise on the size or shininess of the neighborhood as long as it's a relatively safe area.

(And if we could avoid sinkholes, snakes, and gators, that'd be a plus too. I know, I know...)

Last edited by mooncakes; 03-29-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
With those specs, I say Egypt Lake. It's 15 mins TOPS from TnC, which also has a YMCA in the area. Egypt Lake is up the road from HCC. And there are a lot of affordable rentals (from what I see). I know you said that you don't want apartments, but Himes has a lot of nice apartments in it. TnC is a less desirable part of town, but there are also a lot of apartments in the area. That's my two cents.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 AM

237 posts, read 391,871 times
(And if we could avoid sinkholes, snakes, and gators, that'd be a plus too. I know, I know...)

Combined those and multiple times 100 and you still wont come even close to the danger they represent compared to humans.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 AM

29 posts, read 35,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
With those specs, I say Egypt Lake. It's 15 mins TOPS from TnC, which also has a YMCA in the area. Egypt Lake is up the road from HCC. And there are a lot of affordable rentals (from what I see). I know you said that you don't want apartments, but Himes has a lot of nice apartments in it. TnC is a less desirable part of town, but there are also a lot of apartments in the area. That's my two cents.
I agree.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 11,679 times
Thanks for the heads-up about TnC being less desirable. These are things I wouldn't know without being able to visit. I will start looking at the Egypt Lake area market, then.

The reason I think we may need a house is because I have two children with autism (plus a toddler who does not have autism but is... well... a toddler) who are pretty loud. We lived in an apartment before for a brief window and... let's just say the immediate neighbors were not really happy due to the volume. We might be able to survive in a corner unit on a ground floor, but I'd be wary of repeating the experience...

Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncakes View Post
I'm a soon-to-be single mom who is considering relocating to the Tampa area.

-- I will probably need to rent a house instead of an apartment, for at least a year or two.
-- There is a school in the Town and Country (? is that right?) area of Tampa that the kids may or may not be attending. Proximity to this is ideal but they might not end up there.
-- We would like to live near some sort of YMCA as we have always been really pleased to use them. I know quality varies, so a nice Y would be a plus.
-- I don't have a job right now, and will likely have to go back to school for at least a semester or two since I've been out of the workforce for so long. Living near a community college would be great.
-- Right now the budget is very frugal. The main priority for us is safety. I'm definitely a little jumpy being on my own as a woman with three kids, and am perfectly happy to compromise on the size or shininess of the neighborhood as long as it's a relatively safe area.

You need to figure out your job situation before any of the other stuff will even matter.

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but your job, it's location and its pay scale will determine where you live and how much you can afford.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Stick to the area of Hillsborough and Dale Mabry, west of Dale Mabry. A buddy of mine lives in the townhomes at the very back of Manhattan Ave. Can't tell you the name of them, but they are gated and minutes away from Dale Mabry and Waters.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
You need to figure out your job situation before any of the other stuff will even matter.

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but your job, it's location and its pay scale will determine where you live and how much you can afford.
I agree - or in your case, your school situation, as you said you will be returning to school.

I have visited the Tampa area many times, and personally feel that its highways, traffic and commutes can be tougher than in some other areas. As a female who is not crazy about highway driving anyway, I would never live too far from where I worked. Florida is a big state and things are often more spread out than they appear on a map.

I would forget about avoiding gators and snakes, because you really can't, as these are random everywhere in Fla., and focus on staying out of sinkhole territory. If you don't live near a lake, your chances of running into gators and snakes are less.

Last edited by gardenpearl; 04-08-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,388 times
Default How to avoid sinkhole territory

I am not from Tampa, planning to move to Tampa-those whom have lived for a long time now may tell me what part of Tampa is not or less likely to have sinkhole. I am terrified about sinkhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
I agree - or in your case, your school situation, as you said you will be returning to school.

I have visited the Tampa area many times, and personally feel that its highways, traffic and commutes can be tougher than in some other areas. As a female who is not crazy about highway driving anyway, I would never live too far from where I worked. Florida is a big state and things are often more spread out than they appear on a map.

I would forget about avoiding gators and snakes, because you really can't, as these are random everywhere in Fla., and focus on staying out of sinkhole territory. If you don't live near a lake, your chances of running into gators and snakes are less.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 AM

464 posts, read 645,158 times
Here's an interactive map of actual sinkholes. Florida sinkholes map - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay