Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times

Advertisements

Ugh, don't even get me started on potholes. It's amusing to watch people (including myself) doing a perpetual zig zag to avoid them (not funny if you hit one though, my God)

I had to laugh about the hills. I had a sports car, 5 spd, and lived on a very busy street with our parking lot at the bottom of a hill. As you said, you'd have to get a running start and gun it just to make it up the hill and PRAY there wasn't a car driving past when you got to the top. If you hit the breaks too soon, you'd slide down and repeat.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM

554 posts, read 977,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
They're in for a rude surprise when they get back to Ohio...it snowed today.
Yes and I am sitting in my Hotel in Akron at the moment, I have been up here 7x for business trips since Nov and it snowed every single time. Well, at least I know I will back in St. Pete on Friday and riding the Harley up and down Gulf Blvd Friday night.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM

226 posts, read 339,628 times
Well, it's not as bad here in GA- but we went from 80's to mid 40's high today-brrrrr....I am OVER the cold. It's been a harsh winter everywhere- GA included-my rosemary plant is now dead

I can't WAIT to move to the sunshine state, I'l put up with the humidity and heat for those blisfull 'winter' and early springs months

I think the only thing I may miss about Atlanta is September weather-but I'm sure I'll get Sept weather during Oct-March so that's a good trade off ha!

ANd yeah, we had snow several times here-it hit suddenly once and school administrators and business owners messed up-it shut down roads and thousands were stranded in their cars, in schools, in stores overnight and some almost 2 days. No way out-running out of fuel, no food/water. What a mess!!! We are definatley not snow friendly/prepared here.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM

161 posts, read 273,700 times
[quote=Sunshinecc;34378745]Ugh, don't even get me started on potholes. It's amusing to watch people (including myself) doing a perpetual zig zag to avoid them (not funny if you hit one though, my God)

I don't see potholes. The roads are more like minefields. When the asphalt is crumbled across 3 lanes, you can hardly call them potholes anymore.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Don't get excited just yet... They'll be moving down in the next few months... While complaining about how much they hate this city and loved it "back home."

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Don't get excited just yet... They'll be moving down in the next few months... While complaining about how much they hate this city and loved it "back home."
As a European I can't really tell the difference between a snowbird and a local.
But when I lived in the UK you could definitely tell the difference between American tourists and other visitors.
They were ALWAYS fatter,louder and ruder than everyone else.
Maybe the snowbirds here are not so different after all.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
The snowbirds I know all left in March. I love them and miss their outlook on life already. The only difference I noticed so far was the available seating at a local dive where we eat frequently.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
I think I jinxed myself yesterday. Woke up to sleet (which sounded like hail hitting the windows), snow, and a sheet of ice on my deck. @#$%&

90 min. commute

I'm counting the days 'til I head south!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather odd logic to denegrate a demographic that brings so much to the Florida economy..Take the snowbirds and other seasonal visitors out of the state and you are left with a perpetual mid summer economy..
I suspect it's more the seasonal visitors that tick people off, not the snowbirds. We fit into your economy fairly seamlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I am a snowbird, and know lots of them--nobody has ever said that--everybody I know loves it here (Dunedin.) Yes, we have permanent homes in the north, and things to do, family to see, but many (including me), are sad when we leave Florida for the summer (but look forward to our glorious weather, for sure.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
The snowbirds I know all left in March. I love them and miss their outlook on life already. The only difference I noticed so far was the available seating at a local dive where we eat frequently.
Funny, from a snowbird perspective, I love it when the March-breakers leave! During Spring Training, particularly, we can't get into our favorite dives either! We're still here--leaving next week (late April.)

Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather odd logic to denegrate a demographic that brings so much to the Florida economy..Take the snowbirds and other seasonal visitors out of the state and you are left with a perpetual mid summer economy..

Exactly, ask the many service industry based workers how they feel about it. Especially those who work as servers. They see huge drops in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay