Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,482,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Seriously, have you heard an Italian, Greeks, Argentines? Fatter? yeah, perhaps, I'll give you that-our FDA and big pharma combined have screwed the Americans health, quality of food and life.

I agree.
Here in Europe the continentals tend to be prone to histrionics and gesticulations during perfectly normal conversation.
But in the UK the Brits are slightly more reserved and find such behaviour rather vulgar.
However, don't get me wrong, I like and admire Americans very much which is why I choose to live here.
I just find this " them and us " attitude towards snowbirds rather peculiar, particularly from those who also complain about the lack of job prospects in Florida. Imagine how much worse it would be if there were no snowbirds ?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Unfortunately not,old bean.

Britt as a variant of Brit refers to britt (brĭt)n.1. The young of herring and similar fish.
2. Minute marine organisms, such as crustaceans of the genus Calanus, that are a major source of food for right whales.

Brit as in British person is only EVER spelled with a single t.

And you can't surely expect us to believe that Britt's Pizza Place in Treasure Island is so named because it's owned by a Brit ?

Nice try but you fooled no-one.
Not trying to fool anyone. In a way Brits are minute organisms (i guess that's why Americans often spell it with a double t?) Perhaps you should consider going back to Ole England if you find Americans being fatties as you call them. I sure hope you don't talk like that in real life (we don't want a big one sit on you and cause you to become a pancake). Btw, I ain't fat. I just find you're getting too much mileage on putting down Americans, even though you live in FL, USA.

Fortunately snowbirds are not just from Inglaterra.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Not trying to fool anyone. In a way Brits are minute organisms (i guess that's why Americans often spell it with a double t?) Perhaps you should consider going back to Ole England if you find Americans being fatties as you call them. I sure hope you don't talk like that in real life (we don't want a big one sit on you and cause you to become a pancake). Btw, I ain't fat. I just find you're getting too much mileage on putting down Americans, even though you live in FL, USA.

Fortunately snowbirds are not just from Inglaterra.

Just imagine then how snowbiirds feel when they read the put-downs from their fellow Americans.
Or indeed the many Canadians who I hear and read being abused frequently for being snowbirds.
As for going home there are quite a few countries around the world where the local citizens might have similar feelings about unwanted American visitors.
Sorry if the truth hurts but I'm a great believer in live and let live.Snowbirds and all.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Just imagine then how snowbiirds feel when they read the put-downs from their fellow Americans.
Or indeed the many Canadians who I hear and read being abused frequently for being snowbirds.
As for going home there are quite a few countries around the world where the local citizens might have similar feelings about unwanted American visitors.
Sorry if the truth hurts but I'm a great believer in live and let live.Snowbirds and all.
Hey old chap, only one 'i' on snowbirds.

I think when it comes to snowbirds, feelings are mutual; but I would also think Americans are entitled to pass criticism to their fellow citizens.

So, if you find Americans so repulsive since you called them "fatter, louder and ruder than anyone else", then why are you still here? Perhaps you should feel fortunate they are letting you live here and enjoy FL (since you like it).

Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Perhaps you should feel fortunate they are letting you live here and enjoy FL (since you like it).

Fortunately most of the Floridians I know are not so insular and are generally welcoming to people from other states and other countries.

I think of it as a two-way street. We're fortunate to be wealthy enough to spend part of our time in Florida and our incoming dollars also help to keep the place running for the rest of the year for locals like you.

Everyone's a winner and the wise Floridians, most of whom are descended from people who moved to the state from elsewhere, don't begrudge their visitors.

As I say,live and let live.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Fortunately most of the Floridians I know are not so insular and are generally welcoming to people from other states and other countries.

I think of it as a two-way street. We're fortunate to be wealthy enough to spend part of our time in Florida and our incoming dollars also help to keep the place running for the rest of the year for locals like you.

Everyone's a winner and the wise Floridians, most of whom are descended from people who moved to the state from elsewhere, don't begrudge their visitors.

Well stated Roscoe

Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM

120 posts, read 153,186 times
"Fortunately most of the Floridians I know are not so insular and are generally welcoming to people from other states and other countries.

As I say,live and let live. "

Here Here!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Begrudge? You call Americans "fat, rude and loud" and they (local Floridians) are resentful of you? hehe whatever.. And don't assume everyone who disagrees with you is a local.

I say, try calling someone the above face to face, see what happens.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather odd logic to denegrate a demographic that brings so much to the Florida economy..Take the snowbirds and other seasonal visitors out of the state and you are left with a perpetual mid summer economy..
Excellent point!

On another thread I mentioned that a lot of Floridians have homes in NC where they spend the summer. They're also called snowbirds by the locals and some feel the same way, i.e., snowbirds create traffic jams, long lines in stores, etc. However, many of these towns were broke before retirees & tourists began spending their money in them. Building homes creates jobs and there's a trickle down effect too, because appliances need repair, carpet needs cleaning, a/c needs service, lawns need mowing, etc. As much as I dislike what development does to the environment, I know how much it helps the economy. Without tourism, Florida wouldn't survive.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Time to bring out this joke - it's an annual thing to do......

Definition of bliss? Seeing a Canadian headed up I75 with two New Yorkers under each arm.

Or something like that......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay