Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Publix, Fresh Market and many others all closed today, on Easter. It's not even a freaking holiday for people who are not Christian!!!!!!!! Before you jump on that train, please note that I am Christian, went to Christian private school for 13 years, etc! But I work 365 days a year. I don't get holidays off. Many many others work 365 as well.

Thank god Trader Joe's was open so I could get what I needed for the week and get some items that my mother asked me to get for Easter lunch today. This was lunch I had before I had to report for work.

WHICH IS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW!

In my opinion stores and restaurants that close on holidays or that close on all Sundays are giving the big fat FINGER to their customers. And I really don't appreciate that and I will remember it.

Another reason to shop exclusively at Trader Joe's.

So preplanning is out of the question for you knowing that the other stores will be closed today. I bet they even had the big sign on the entrance and exit doors stating they would be closed today.

Do you actually get paid to post on City Data? Do you work for City Data? If not why are you using company time and resources to be on the internet?

I seriously doubt you not shopping in stores that are closed on Holidays and Sundays are going to be tremendously affected on their bottom line profit if you do not shop there any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,881 times
"Preplanning knowing stores will be closed?" No actually I assumed stores would be open today (it is 2014, not 1914), and thus no preplanning would be required. Also, planning is great until you have an extra 20 people show up at supper and you run out of eggs for the souffle.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Nobody should be forced to work 365 days a year! That's asinine! Find another job! I would not get a job that required me non stop! I'm Human not machine! As it is, more stores if not ALL should be closed Sundays! People are way to overworked here in Florida!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Florida is actually very laid back. I worked a lot more when I lived in DC, NYC, LA, etc.

Oh yeah and by the way, many many people nowadays have 2 or 3 jobs. Which means they too work 365 days a year, pretty much.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Florida is actually very laid back. I worked a lot more when I lived in DC, NYC, LA, etc.

Oh yeah and by the way, many many people nowadays have 2 or 3 jobs. Which means they too work 365 days a year, pretty much.
I don't understand your argument, we can all agree if you work 365 days you are the exception not the norm, most people have holidays off maybe not paid but off, the only reason why the Wal-Mart's are packed is because everything else is closed, if everything was open all the sites would probably have very low traffic, because most people don't shop on holidays, most retail customers are not the I forgot something or need something last minute type the bulk of the customers are doing their shopping for the week and those people are not showing up on holidays, so it doesn't make sense to open just to cater to that small segment.
I can commensurate with what you are saying I have needed stuff on thanksgiving before and had to battle the crowds at walgreens to get not quite what I needed because of their crappy over priced selection, maybe they can have rotating stores that open on holidays like 24 hour pharmacies back in the day, so you would just have to drive a little farther or not depending on which publix is on duty that holiday.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 PM

335 posts, read 409,804 times
Easter historically is a "family" day and grocery stores have many employees . Studies done on such a holiday indicates
poor bottom line revenues as traffic in minimal. Easter even for unchurched seculars who are preoccupied by dinners,
bunnies and egg hunts albeit candy baskets is also for christians and messianic Jews a remberance of Jesus Christs
resurrection from the dead (in the exact number of days He forecasted prior to even being arrested) the core of christian faith .

Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM

120 posts, read 154,805 times
As for me...I never shop or stop for ANYTHING...on any holiday...least I encourage gas stations/retail outlets
to think there is another dollar to be made and force their employees to work, which unfortunately, many still
do.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM

216 posts, read 438,266 times
I was reduced to having to shop at Winn Dixie. I still live in Fort Lauderdale and there is no TJs here.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 PM

In the future, if you are not interested in working 365 days a year and are interested in having holidays off, I recommend a relocation to France. Maybe Kenya.

Because the way American capitalism is going, if you are not "connected" and working 365 days a year, you will be out of a job. There's wayyyy too many people in this world dying to take your job and put in the 365 days.

Some stores realize that the world is moving to this new normal (Trader Joe's!), and that the people who do work this way need to buy celery on Easter Sunday.

My hat's off to them.

And yes, I am still at work, on Easter Sunday, at 11 PM! Police, fire, hospital, security guards, cabdrivers, bus drivers, airport staff, construction, restaurant, retail, website staff, corrections, media, and many many other people in this world work 365 days a year!

Last edited by planedition; 04-20-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,876 times
Wow, you have to work 365 days a year so therefore everyone else should have to. Totally understand your logic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay