Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times

Advertisements

You can't throw a rock without hitting a Wal-Mart in Pinellas county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 PM

185 posts, read 317,057 times
Free Post

Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM

237 posts, read 390,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
North America is not a country, Canadians, Mexicans etc are North Americans.

I travel a lot I dont remember being in a place where everything was closed on Sundays, I know is not that way in most of South America. Religion should not play a part in any of this, is a business decision, if you are business you decide if you are open on sundays based on whether or not you are going to be on the black, if your employees dont want to work, they can find another job so you have to factor in the cost of retraining new people etc, everything breaks down to numbers, part of your customers will probably be religious and may not like that you are open so you may lose business, but absolutely everything can be broken down into numbers positive effects vs negative effects. If you are the CEO of a grocer and you can make money by opening on Sundays then you owe it to our shareholders to do so, its your duty over whatever sense of tradition you might have.
Thank you for the geography lesson, you will have to forgive my poor education instead of chalking it up to a thread posting mishap.

Anyway, you may travel a lot but I doubt you actually lived or visited because anyone who has lived overseas knows the woes of shopping in the evenings or on weekends. As someone who has lived overseas for much of my adult life I can tell you planning is vital if you want bread for your Sunday dinner.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM

226 posts, read 337,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
Thank you for the geography lesson, you will have to forgive my poor education instead of chalking it up to a thread posting mishap.

Anyway, you may travel a lot but I doubt you actually lived or visited because anyone who has lived overseas knows the woes of shopping in the evenings or on weekends. As someone who has lived overseas for much of my adult life I can tell you planning is vital if you want bread for your Sunday dinner.
Having been raised in S. America- a smaller city at one point. Closed for 'siesta', and closed Sundays...a lot of business would close Sat afternoon also. It would depend.

The mom/pop groceries would stay open Sat afternoon-but typically you would shop Sat am for Sundays.

My personal opinion is I WISH things were simpler. I wish we bought our food at the local corner and it was closed Sundays and Holidays. We don't need MORE stores open on Holidays-we have plenty that do that already. Well, enough to cater to the poor planning people that need them. Even if one works all week-I can go to the store before or after work yes?

I wish simplicity and values took precedence over entitlement, demands, greed and lack of planning.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Having been raised in S. America- a smaller city at one point. Closed for 'siesta', and closed Sundays...a lot of business would close Sat afternoon also. It would depend.

The mom/pop groceries would stay open Sat afternoon-but typically you would shop Sat am for Sundays.

My personal opinion is I WISH things were simpler. I wish we bought our food at the local corner and it was closed Sundays and Holidays. We don't need MORE stores open on Holidays-we have plenty that do that already. Well, enough to cater to the poor planning people that need them. Even if one works all week-I can go to the store before or after work yes?

I wish simplicity and values took precedence over entitlement, demands, greed and lack of planning.
You must have not been in S America in the last 10 years. Typically in Latin America people get in after 9am so they can take their kids to school they leave for a 2 hour lunch around 2-4 then go back to work until 7-8, it is not unusual to see families out past 10pm. This is the white collar world I am talking about, people have all kinds of hours ,most supermarkets are open until 11pm monday through sunday, in general South American metropolises are bustling well into midnite, including Sundays. The world is going 24/7 the market will fill the need if there is money to be made, you cant fight it I guess you can move to Utah.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,082,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post

So if you're a regular 9-5er who can hit the stores without really having to think about it because the world is planned around your schedule, that's ok. But if you're one of those people who has odd hours because you provide essential services that must be available 24/7, wanting to have things open so there won't have to be all sorts of finagling and planning for things the 9-5er can just step out his door to do...that's entitlement and greed.

Got it.

See, I think it's more entitled for people to walk around expecting this large protective infrastructure to exist so that they can be tended to at a moment's notice but then begrudge helping out the people who provide those services. To me that's entitled.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You must have not been in S America in the last 10 years. Typically in Latin America people get in after 9am so they can take their kids to school they leave for a 2 hour lunch around 2-4 then go back to work until 7-8, it is not unusual to see families out past 10pm. This is the white collar world I am talking about, people have all kinds of hours ,most supermarkets are open until 11pm monday through sunday, in general South American metropolises are bustling well into midnite, including Sundays. The world is going 24/7 the market will fill the need if there is money to be made, you cant fight it I guess you can move to Utah.
Actually, that's why I said closed for siesta I know they go back to work after that and get home late. Typically week days.

The large supermarkets are open late and Sundays, the smaller local ones aren't. There's a difference.

Yes, restaurants, bars, ice cream shops are all bustling on Sundays.

Also- it depends what part of the contry-it varies wildly believe it or not. That is why I prefaced my post

The world moving to 24/7 isn't necessarily a bad thing-crap we have people almost bragging about working 365 days a year. DO you live to work or work to live.

Our YES greedy, capitalistm gone bad country has made society miserable. TOo many work hours and no down time with friends/family. THAT is one thing S. America had right.

There is no reason to push more for 24/7....our greed will get the best of us-it already has. It's not convenience, it's greed that pushes these kind of work hours. You've had services offered 24/7 for hundreds of years, and yet they have survived being able to shop/plan.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So if you're a regular 9-5er who can hit the stores without really having to think about it because the world is planned around your schedule, that's ok. But if you're one of those people who has odd hours because you provide essential services that must be available 24/7, wanting to have things open so there won't have to be all sorts of finagling and planning for things the 9-5er can just step out his door to do...that's entitlement and greed.

Got it.

See, I think it's more entitled for people to walk around expecting this large protective infrastructure to exist so that they can be tended to at a moment's notice but then begrudge helping out the people who provide those services. To me that's entitled.
Seriously...hundreds of years you've had people working odd hours- I have. I worked graveyard shift, I've worked 6pm-2am, 2pm-11pm, and every combination. I still somehow ALWAYS found a way to buy groceries. I worked and still do for an airline for almost 2 decades...I know unusual hours/holiday work days, etc... NOW I happen to do 'mainstream' schedule...but I still found a way to shop and not cry indignation because Publix wasn't open for ME on an Easter Sunday!

After all-grocery stores are open every day, for over a 12hr span. Tell me again you don't have 'time' to go. What about off days? So-say you work at night, you can shop when you get out in the am- or go to bed and STILL have time to get up and shop.

Don't sell this crap that you have no time to go-if you're working 12-14 hours every day of the week...you should chose another career, or 'hire out' a lot of this stuff...like Dr's do Have any friends/family/significant other/spouse, etc that could perhaps pick up something for you?

Sorry, but I still read not only entitlement but bitterness at your chosen job perhaps?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
again, I think OP displaced her anger toward the grocery store rather than the person(s) who placed the extra last-minute demands of cooking for a larger number of people.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM

4,416 posts, read 3,762,992 times
Love all the people on this thread who think that "planning ahead" solves the problem. Next time I am working in the ER on Easter, and the relative of a patient asks me for a snack b/c the nearby grocery stores are closed, I will tell them, YOU SHOULD HAVE PLANNED AHEAD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay