Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times

Advertisements

Man, here we go.... I only read the OP but I can already bet there is a lot of nastiness happening. At any rate, I am answering the OP, with my opinion.

We moved here in June 2010. We have lived in several places and I have to say this is our favorite. There is lots to do, if you like warm weather its good. Just like anyplace... weather differs from year to year. We have experienced dry years and wet years since living here the short time that we have.

We are always on the go, doing something every weekend. Our neighbors pretty much hate us because we're always doing something. Our kids are called liars at school by other kids, because they do not believe their stories about what they did over the weekend or school breaks.

Many people move away from friends, family and support systems to go to Florida. This is often their first time moving away from their support system and frankly... they do not know how to deal with it so they blame the state since they no longer have those bonds.

Yes, the palm trees, ocean and everything you see on the postcards does wear off a bit. But we still like to go rent a beachside hotel/motel for a weekend or two a year and enjoy the beach. We always have season passes to one park... this year it is Disney. We like to camp. There is so much Natural Florida beauty it is really amazing and it seems so few are aware of it or willing to experience it.

Yeah, traffic sucks. A lot of people around here suck. Your job sucks if you do not have a needed skill. Things are expensive if you come from a cheap state. It is hot, it is sticky, there are bugs.

After nearly 4 years here... this place feels like home. When I leave town I cannot wait to get back. With that said, we're now starting on a journey of landing a 100% remote job so we can sell everything, move into a Motorhome and travel the country.... because we're crazy like that and life is an adventure.

Happiness is a state of mind. If you dwell on the bad, your world will become toxic. That's just life. Check out my blogs on my profile regarding our adventure moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
(Originally by FloridaKash)---
Many people move away from friends, family and support systems to go to Florida. This is often their first time moving away from their support system and frankly... they do not know how to deal with it so they blame the state since they no longer have those bonds.
^^^^^THIS

Unless you hate your family and friends, normal people will miss them greatly, and also miss the comfort of their previous environment which they didn't appreciate enough to realize how much they will miss it by moving elsewhere.
These people become introverts, BECAUSE they had friends and family close by always, they have no idea HOW to make new friends, and become reclusive to the point where saying "Hi" to a new neighbor become a chore to ignore.

I have proof, visit me here and I will show you exactly what we mean.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Your experience is not the experience of many others.

You are able to diagnose and label people without knowing a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
^^^^^THIS

Unless you hate your family and friends, normal people will miss them greatly, and also miss the comfort of their previous environment which they didn't appreciate enough to realize how much they will miss it by moving elsewhere.
These people become introverts, BECAUSE they had friends and family close by always, they have no idea HOW to make new friends, and become reclusive to the point where saying "Hi" to a new neighbor become a chore to ignore.

I have proof, visit me here and I will show you exactly what we mean.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Man, here we go.... I only read the OP but I can already bet there is a lot of nastiness happening. At any rate, I am answering the OP, with my opinion.

We moved here in June 2010. We have lived in several places and I have to say this is our favorite. There is lots to do, if you like warm weather its good. Just like anyplace... weather differs from year to year. We have experienced dry years and wet years since living here the short time that we have.

We are always on the go, doing something every weekend. Our neighbors pretty much hate us because we're always doing something. Our kids are called liars at school by other kids, because they do not believe their stories about what they did over the weekend or school breaks.

Yes, the palm trees, ocean and everything you see on the postcards does wear off a bit. But we still like to go rent a beachside hotel/motel for a weekend or two a year and enjoy the beach. We always have season passes to one park... this year it is Disney. We like to camp. There is so much Natural Florida beauty it is really amazing and it seems so few are aware of it or willing to experience it.

Yeah, traffic sucks. A lot of people around here suck. Your job sucks if you do not have a needed skill. Things are expensive if you come from a cheap state. It is hot, it is sticky, there are bugs.

After nearly 4 years here... this place feels like home. When I leave town I cannot wait to get back. With that said, we're now starting on a journey of landing a 100% remote job so we can sell everything, move into a Motorhome and travel the country.... because we're crazy like that and life is an adventure.

Happiness is a state of mind. If you dwell on the bad, your world will become toxic. That's just life. Check out my blogs on my profile regarding our adventure moving here.
This is an excellent post x2!

I agree! We're never home in the weekend! Well, unless we have to paint the house, or install floors! hahahahahahahah and even then we still swing out to the beach after we're done! LOL

I love the RV idea, hubby wants a RV too, but the cost of operating it is too restrictive IMO...between storage, gas, insurance, maintenance, a place to park it overnight etc...it is daunting to even consider it. Good thing you can do it. Our in-laws have bought a new RV a few years ago and it is sitting parked 99% of the time, which defeats the purpose of having one in the first place IMO. If we had that, and the money they have to travel we'd be out a long time ago...LOL Lots to do and see...I want to go to Alaska, and zig-zag our way back through all the states. I need to start playing the lottery tho...hahahahahah BTW you look nothing like I pictured you! You look Floridian! I don't know how you can be from AK! LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your experience is not the experience of many others.

You are able to diagnose and label people without knowing a thing?
So, what you're saying is that people in 99% of the cases don't miss their relatives? friends? former surroundings? yeah, I'll believe that when it'll snow in Florida! LOL
How cold hearted do you think people are?

What are you replying to even?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
How strange it is that so many of your posts I feel the exact opposite of. I wonder why that is. I moved here when I was 23, and after shuffling around a bit in various places between then and now - I still do not miss my family nor CT. They are all up there, and we see each other once in awhile (every few years), talk fairly often. That's enough for me. As far as missing "my surroundings"? I do not have some sort of fond memory of CT. I have been pretty content everywhere I have lived, however despite FL not being my original surroundings, this is the place I felt most at home. So I came back.

Time to snow in FL :P

Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

What are you replying to even?
THIS.

"These people become introverts, BECAUSE they had friends and family close by always, they have no idea HOW to make new friends, and become reclusive to the point where saying "Hi" to a new neighbor become a chore to ignore."

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
THIS.

"These people become introverts, BECAUSE they had friends and family close by always, they have no idea HOW to make new friends, and become reclusive to the point where saying "Hi" to a new neighbor become a chore to ignore."
That's is all the self back patting I am talking about. Not you but the other two.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 AM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
Sharing my POV puts me in a cabal? I see.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
Sharing my POV puts me in a cabal? I see.

In their little worlds if you don't follow their thinking there must be something wrong with you. It's never them. Fools behaving like fools. If you disagree with their hatred and discontent there is something wrong with you. Fools will always be fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay