Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 08:57 AM

667 posts, read 2,882,683 times

Advertisements

It appears that my wife might get transferred to Lakeland.

After quickly hitting a few threads via search I have a couple of questions:

1. What schools are the better ones? I have one child in high school and another in middle school.

2. What school in the area has the best wrestling program?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,321,320 times
I wouldn't recommend Lakeland for much of anything, but that's my personal opinion. Mulberry isn't any better either...

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Why?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM

213 posts, read 658,168 times
If you end up in Lakeland , the best High School would probably be George Jenkins. It is in south Lakeland and has an A rating. It isn't perfect and does have some issues but it would be the best in Lakeland. Middle schools not so much, I guess maybe Lawton Chiles Middle Academy, you have to apply to get in and it is rated as a B. You can check out all the schools at Polk County Public Schools Polk County, Florida. There is McKeel Academy of Technology it is rated A, also one you have to apply to get in to. Was trying to find out how good George Jenkins wrestling team is, however their stats wouldn't come up on their website.
When it comes to living , not sure where her job might be, but I would live on the southside of Lakeland, in the 33813/33811 zip codes. Feel free to ask more questions or PM me. Minus a short stint out of state, I have lived in Polk for many tooo many years and have lived in Lakeland for 6 or so years. (Don't personally like it but I can give you the low down) Check out my posts for information.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 AM

299 posts, read 375,460 times
Lakeland is a great place to live. Yes south Lakeland 33813 has the better schools. George Jenkins High, Lakeland Highlands Middle, and Valley View Elementary. it still has a small town feel. The downtown area is nice. I travel a lot and am 45 minutes from the Tampa Airport and about 1 hour from the Orlando Airport.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks again to everyone. My wife did not get the position but there is always another time.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM

147 posts, read 211,060 times
That is a loaded question. If you come to Lakeland and ask 20 people what the best high school is you will likely get even more confused. Everyone has a different perception of "good" based on their needs, how their children fit in and their expectations. I personally attended Lake Gibson High School as did my daughter and never had a complaint. There are some excellent seasoned teachers and they have some good academy programs. Lake Gibson definitely has an excellent wrestling program. The Polk County School Board website has some very informative information. Bottom line each school has its strengths and weaknesses and I think you have to consider your child's personal needs when making the decision.

There are also magnet and charter schools to consider such as Harrison School of the Arts and McKeel Academy.

Polk County Public Schools Polk County, Florida

Old 07-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Thank you LLNative.

How good is Lake Gibson's wrestling program? The school he is currently attending is actually a known wrestling school. For us wrestling practice is year long except for one week where the coaches must have zero contact with their athletes. As a matter of fact we were just in Florida a couple of weeks ago where both our varsity and junior varsity teams competed in a national wrestling tourney at the ESPN center on Disney Property. It was a rather disappointing meet for our varsity. Out of 70 teams our varsity team came in at only 4th place but prior we placed first the last three years. Amazingly our JV team placed around 36th place. Yes, our JV beat up on several varsity teams

And yes, most of our varsity wrestlers graduate with a scholarship someplace. Oh and to give you an example of the caliber this year 14 out of our 16 varsity wrestlers went on to compete at our state tournament. Now for the insane part - our wrestling club (hosted by our school and you have to be within our township to belong) actual start recruiting in kindergarten!! All that in the hope that one or two of them make it to high school for their class.

So, yes to me a wrestling program has to be equal for us to move for him.

However he's graduating in only 3 years. Since my wife did not get that job that actually saved us but there is always a later time to move there where I don't have to worry so much about schools. And from researching it does appear to be a nice small town.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 PM

5,933 posts, read 7,278,490 times
Look at the wrestling program at Brandon HS if you're looking at relocating to Tampa. One of the finest in the state.

NFHS | Brandon wrestling winning streak longest of them all

Florida high school sports | State wrestling: Brandon wins 25th title

RM

Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 PM

147 posts, read 211,060 times
Their Facebook page might give you some insight.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-...37054822983198

2014 5th 2A States
2013 2A State runner-up
2012 2A State runner-up
2011 2A State runner-up, Lone Star Duals Champs
2010 AAU Disney Dual National Champs
2010 3rd in the State of Florida class 2A
2010 District Champions class 2A
2009 AAU Disney Dual National Champs
2009 5th in the State of Florida class 2A
2007 5th in the State of Florida class 2A
2006 3rd in the State of Florida class 2A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay