Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 55,110 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody! I'm pondering a relocation with my wife & our third & final son at home (15 yo) in the next 6-8 months to the Clearwater / Dunedin area. We're just starting to research specific locations & will likely rent for a year before settling in with a purchase.

I'm interested in learning from the "locals" about prime locations for some of my favorite leisure activities - road biking, kayaking & indoor rock climbing. Of course SCUBA diving is also part of the plan. I'd appreciate any input that you may have. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
Lots of biking on Pinellas Trail, kayaking all over the place we have tons (or should I say gallons) of water. Indoor rock climbing I know is at Y at St Pete, and sure its in other places too, I think there is one good one at Oldsmar or round there. Scuba, well we are surrounded by water here in Pinellas county, so I can't imagine that is difficult either!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
You should check out www.tampaadventuregroup.com
You don't have to join the group (I'm a member and love it), but you can look at their past/future events to get an idea about where they do all of those things.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks

Thanks for the great info, Spainbrit & Jessiegirl_98. The Tampa Adventure Group sounds like a terrific time. I checked out the Pinellas Trail online & it looks fantastic - just what I was hoping for! For SCUBA, I'm sure that we'll be able to find local groups that go out. Kayaking looks like a great time in the Gulf - and I learned about the Blueways on the Pinellas County Parks website. The Vertical Ventures climbing gym in Tampa looks terrific. I haven't yet found any more info on the other (local) climbing walls; but that will just be icing on the Dunedin cake. This place is looking better & better...

Thanks, again, for your valuable input!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:24 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Default Friendship Trail

I just remembered this for another post and I thought you might be interested as well --> Friendship Trail Bridge - Tampa Bay

Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
There is one at the Y in St Pete (climbing wall)

Last edited by spainbrit; 02-15-2008 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: missedsomething

Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 AM

Default Many thanks for the adventure info!

Spainbrit & TampaKaren - Thanks a lot for the additional information on the Friendship TrailBridge & the climbing wall in St. Pete. You've been very helpful.

With all of of the terrific adventures to be had in the area, I'm anxious for us to get down there soon.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,574 times
I go kayaking all the time around here...there are really nice springs all over the place, just do a search online for them (mainly up north). We really enjoy going around Caladesi Island (Dunedin). Very few people go to the beach there and it is fun, we've had dolphins come up to us on many occassions too. Scuba diving is especially nice north of here in the springs which you can do a search for...scuba divers' dream come true. On US 19 in St Pete has an outdoor store Bill Jacksons; they take scuba trips/kayak trips often. 9501 U.S. 19 North
Pinellas Park, Florida 33782

Sweetbay in St Pete also does kayak trips too; they are off Gandy Blvd.
Biking on Pinellas trail (I've done the whole trail)...it's pretty nice for road biking

Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
Thumbs up Kayaking

I can't speak to indoor rock climbing or biking, but kayaking... you can't beat it on the Gulf Coast!

One of the best places I've ever spent the day on a kayak is off of the intercoastal side of Bradenton Beach. You can hit the channel in between Bradenton Beach and Longboat Key. When the tide is low, you can pull your *** on to a sandbar and swim or look for shells/wildlife. Also had an encounter with a sea turtle there... its head was as big as a bowling ball. You can't launch off of the few public beaches on LBK, so it's as close as you'll get without staying at a resort there (which we've also done, and taking your boat out just before sunset is fantastic).

I also love (LOVE) Stump Pass State Park, which is a good day trip from Clearwater. Put in on the intercoastal side, get through the Pass (probably see a dolphin or two in the meantime) and paddle down the beach. AWESOME!

We are taking our boats to Bahia Honda in December for four days of camping, kayaking, and photography.... can't wait!!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 PM

106 posts, read 433,490 times
Cool Sweetwater kayaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph4716 View Post
I go kayaking all the time around here...there are really nice springs all over the place, just do a search online for them (mainly up north). We really enjoy going around Caladesi Island (Dunedin). Very few people go to the beach there and it is fun, we've had dolphins come up to us on many occassions too. Scuba diving is especially nice north of here in the springs which you can do a search for...scuba divers' dream come true. On US 19 in St Pete has an outdoor store Bill Jacksons; they take scuba trips/kayak trips often. 9501 U.S. 19 North
Pinellas Park, Florida 33782

Sweetbay in St Pete also does kayak trips too; they are off Gandy Blvd.
Biking on Pinellas trail (I've done the whole trail)...it's pretty nice for road biking
Actually I think this post is referring to SWEETWATER Kayaks Co. Friends of mine who have been rated the best kayak shop in the state of Florida for the past 5 years running. World famous/renoun sea kayakers own the store and are very friendly and outgoing. They always have trips planned and classes for teaching certificates and the likes. Awesome people.
Sweetwater Kayaks The Premier Kayaking Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay