Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 AM

14 posts, read 33,930 times

Advertisements

OK, OK - I know this is a controversial question, but how're those neighborhoods doing? I know Buckhorn had plans and our realtor is taking us there soon. My fiance has colleagues who live there and enjoy it/feel safe. His career and industry is in Tampa so we'd like to be there.

A bit about us: We lived in St Pete for 3 years and LOVED it but it's on the up-and-up there's not really much on the market in our price range considering his commute, flood insurance, etc. We moved to New Port Richey briefly to be closer to family and this is just not working out. I mean, it is NOT working out. We would never buy here.

So, that being said, how's that area of Tampa doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcola View Post
OK, OK - I know this is a controversial question, but how're those neighborhoods doing? I know Buckhorn had plans and our realtor is taking us there soon. My fiance has colleagues who live there and enjoy it/feel safe. His career and industry is in Tampa so we'd like to be there.

A bit about us: We lived in St Pete for 3 years and LOVED it but it's on the up-and-up there's not really much on the market in our price range considering his commute, flood insurance, etc. We moved to New Port Richey briefly to be closer to family and this is just not working out. I mean, it is NOT working out. We would never buy here.

So, that being said, how's that area of Tampa doing?
Compared to NPR is a lot better, but I think prices at least in Seminole heights and riverside heights are comparable to st Pete, unless you are talking about waterfront or parts of ne. Tampa heights is more affordable but also spotty. Also you are looking at really bad public schools in all those areas.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Compared to NPR is a lot better, but I think prices at least in Seminole heights and riverside heights are comparable to st Pete, unless you are talking about waterfront or parts of ne. Tampa heights is more affordable but also spotty. Also you are looking at really bad public schools in all those areas.
I agree about the prices, but there aren't as many incentives for us to live in St Pete aside from just loving it. He would have to commute over the Howard Franklin and we'd be farther from our parents. And really, there are a lot of shotty areas of St Pete but I know where they are. LOL, I just don't know what I'm looking at in Tampa.

But yeah, I mean, this place (NPR) has gotten SO BAD since I was growing up. When you get into Port Richey and Hudson it's just dreadful. There's nothing to do, everyone is a pill zombie. I am so excited to move.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM

So Seminole Height's reputation has improved in the last few years? My mom was like "NO THERE ARE SHOOTING AND HOOKERS!!!" and she lives like near 19 in Hudson so... I mean, really, not much different.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,774 times
I bought in Riverside Heights two years ago, and am very glad that I did. Yes, the schools aren't great and there aren't any restaurants or shops to walk to, but the people are wonderful and I feel like the neighborhood is on its way up. Riverside Heights has a Civic Association (no monthly fees or rules like an HOA) that meets every other month and has, among other things, a very active Facebook page, events like an annual Easter Egg hunt and ice cream social, and a weekday play group that meets at one of the three parks in the neighborhood.

I feel like there are a lot more younger people (20s-30s) buying here recently because it is still centrally located, but prices aren't as high as South Tampa. If you're willing to buy a bit of a fixer upper, and do some work yourself, I think a house in Riverside Heights or Tampa Heights could be a really good investment - especially once the development along the river is done.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnd View Post
I bought in Riverside Heights two years ago, and am very glad that I did. Yes, the schools aren't great and there aren't any restaurants or shops to walk to, but the people are wonderful and I feel like the neighborhood is on its way up. Riverside Heights has a Civic Association (no monthly fees or rules like an HOA) that meets every other month and has, among other things, a very active Facebook page, events like an annual Easter Egg hunt and ice cream social, and a weekday play group that meets at one of the three parks in the neighborhood.

I feel like there are a lot more younger people (20s-30s) buying here recently because it is still centrally located, but prices aren't as high as South Tampa. If you're willing to buy a bit of a fixer upper, and do some work yourself, I think a house in Riverside Heights or Tampa Heights could be a really good investment - especially once the development along the river is done.
I know a lot of riverside heights families send their kids to mac farlane park or rolandroland park magnet schools.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnd View Post

Thank you for your response! That sounds awesome - we're definitely looking for a community.

So the schools are really that bad, huh? Do you have children?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I know a lot of riverside heights families send their kids to mac farlane park or rolandroland park magnet schools.
Really? Is there school choice or something?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcola View Post
Really? Is there school choice or something?
Right school choice. MacFarlane park is a really good ib program and it's really close to riverside heights, roland park is over by westshore which it's where a lot of parents work at.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM

OK we kind of dig a house in Old Seminole Heights down W Knollwood close to the river. Looked like a pretty good neighborhood but it was raining. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay