U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM

627 posts, read 1,077,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I think the comment about Largo is way off base though. There are some not so nice areas of Largo, but there is certainly nothing worthy of being "avoided". Maybe I'm just jaded because I've spent time in cities where there are REAL bad areas, but there isn't a single street in Largo I wouldn't walk down at night.
I definitely agree with you. All of Largo should not be written off just because of the 2 least desirable areas (High Point and Ridgecrest), the rest of Largo is actually quite nice...and I live in Largo by choice...not because I just ended up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM

13,525 posts, read 16,882,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I guess you do not know what JMO means.
I know exactly what means, and I'm challenging the basis for your opinion. I've not only lived in the area, but I have a real basis for the comparison (or rather, lack thereof) between Largo and truly "sketchy" areas.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but the feeling I get is that you're the top who has trouble distinguishing between a "bad" area and a middle/lower middle class area.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM

8,569 posts, read 7,309,510 times
Quote:
I know exactly what means, and I'm challenging the basis for your opinion. I've not only lived in the area, but I have a real basis for the comparison (or rather, lack thereof) between Largo and truly "sketchy" areas.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but the feeling I get is that you're the top who has trouble distinguishing between a "bad" area and a middle/lower middle class area.
It is just my opinion based on my likes, dislikes and personal experiences. It is not a fact based status, concluded by statistical data. No matter what Joe's opinion is, it does not affect my opinion. We come from different backgrounds with different experiences. Everyone has a different level of comfort.

I try to remember to write JMO when I know I am writing something which is purely based on my likes and dislikes, so people do not take it as how it may be for them.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM

99 posts, read 93,716 times
Quote:
No doubt it is not nearly as bad as Chicago
I wish the media would stop bashing Chicago. Because of it, people don't have a clue. I don't mean news, I mean talk shows, etc who poke fun at us but don't know the facts. Recent facts, anyway. From 2010 to 2013, the major crime rate dropped 56%. The Truth About Chicago

I live in a neighborhood of Chicago that is probably safer than most major cities in Florida. The majority of residents here are either policemen or firemen.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM

13,525 posts, read 16,882,170 times
Quote:
It is just my opinion based on my likes, dislikes and personal experiences. It is not a fact based status, concluded by statistical data. No matter what Joe's opinion is, it does not affect my opinion. We come from different backgrounds with different experiences. Everyone has a different level of comfort.

I try to remember to write JMO when I know I am writing something which is purely based on my likes and dislikes, so people do not take it as how it may be for them.
So you take issue with a discussion happening...on a discussion forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
I wish the media would stop bashing Chicago. Because of it, people don't have a clue. I don't mean news, I mean talk shows, etc who poke fun at us but don't know the facts. Recent facts, anyway. From 2010 to 2013, the major crime rate dropped 56%. The Truth About Chicago

I live in a neighborhood of Chicago that is probably safer than most major cities in Florida. The majority of residents here are either policemen or firemen.
For the record, I love Chicago. One of my favorite cities in America.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM

3,312 posts, read 7,099,569 times
Clearwater is not that great of a place to raise a family. There are some decent neighborhood, but none of them are really near the water unless you have a whole lot of money to spend.

Look into Seminole, it is near Largo and has good schools. Oakhurst Elementary is a good rated elementary and it feed Seminole Jr. High and Seminole High, which are both good schools. Seminole High has a good marching band. When looking in this area stay South of Walsingham, North of Park Blvd. Lots of affordable homes within a couple miles of the beach and Indian Rocks beach is a good locals beach.... never too packed... also a bit shelly sand.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,309,510 times
Quote:
So you take issue with a discussion happening...on a discussion forum? .
No, not at all. I thought we were having a great discussion.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I definitely agree with you. All of Largo should not be written off just because of the 2 least desirable areas (High Point and Ridgecrest), the rest of Largo is actually quite nice...and I live in Largo by choice...not because I just ended up here.

The further West you go in Largo, the better it gets, but that's also true for many other areas in Pinellas. Also, Bardmoor and Lake Park are very nice areas, many desirable neighborhoods west of the Walsingham Reservoir (all the way up to Bellaire Bluffs).

Writing off an area without specific knowledge is typical on CD, even among people who live in Tampa Bay. Many newcomers don't know the entire area well so they may have a skewed perception. I remember one poster advising others to stay away from the entire Pinellas county(was described as being a dump, so go figure).

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Clearwater is not that great of a place to raise a family. There are some decent neighborhood, but none of them are really near the water unless you have a whole lot of money to spend.

Look into Seminole, it is near Largo and has good schools. Oakhurst Elementary is a good rated elementary and it feed Seminole Jr. High and Seminole High, which are both good schools. Seminole High has a good marching band. When looking in this area stay South of Walsingham, North of Park Blvd. Lots of affordable homes within a couple miles of the beach and Indian Rocks beach is a good locals beach.... never too packed... also a bit shelly sand.
Oakhurst Elementary is actually in Largo, not Seminole.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 23,880 times
Quote:
Very good. Just did not want you walking into that blindly. I have been in and out of hospitals over the last year and was surprised to find this out.
Do you work as an RN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay