U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 24,161 times

Advertisements

Interested in moving to Clearwater Florida. Would like whatever info I can get! Please and thank you in advance. I am currently living in CT and have always lived here. I am married and have a 15 month old. Looking for a better quality of life and my husband and I have been to Clearwater twice and we loved it! I know it is a beautiful place to vacation but how about to live? How are the schools?...the people?...good areas/bad areas? Employment Opportunities? Would like to live close to Clearwater Beach if possible but also not a big fan of having to commute far to work. It would be nice to live in a nice area that is close to a hospital for a job. I currently work as an RN so finding a job would be easy I think.. My husband would probably look for a job after we move since he would have to take of the little one at first. Any info is appreciated. Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 AM

30,887 posts, read 35,030,155 times
Living in a place and vacationing in a place can be very different experiences , What is it about where you live now that you think is going to be better in Clearwater.? I'd say another trip to the area is in order only this time a more focused look at job potential,housing potential, commutes to job potential etc.
http://www.indeed.com/q-RN-l-Tampa,-FL-jobs.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/

Last edited by jambo101; 06-03-2014 at 02:55 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM

13,548 posts, read 17,090,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentals1 View Post
I know it is a beautiful place to vacation but how about to live?
Well, as I am a young single male and you are married with children we may not have the same views, but ultimately I do not like the Clearwater area. Yes, the beach is great but beyond that there is simply not that much going on around here, especially as it concerns nightlife. You have to drive to Tampa or St. Pete for that.

Quote:
How are the schools?
There are good and bad schools in the area. A little research and you can find a good place to send your kid.

Quote:
the people?
Pretty normal, friendly people here...with the exception of the high concentration of Scientologists in the Downtown area.

Quote:
...good areas/bad areas?
You'd be hard pressed to find a truly "bad" area in Clearwater. The Greenwood neighborhood is about the worst you can do, and it's more economically depressed than dangerous.

Quote:
Employment Opportunities? Would like to live close to Clearwater Beach if possible but also not a big fan of having to commute far to work. It would be nice to live in a nice area that is close to a hospital for a job. I currently work as an RN so finding a job would be easy I think..
Morton Plant Hospital is right off the Memorial Causeway leading to Clearwater Beach. I have there often and the cafeteria provides a great view of the causeway and inter-coastal. It's also regarded as one of the better hospitals in the country. You also have the Largo Medical Center (just a few miles south of Morton Plant and a few miles east of Indian Rocks Beach) Morton Plant's Mease-Countryside campus to the north.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,431 times
Some may argue that living in Clearwater is not that expensive, however, I live in Tampa and find the 45 minute drive to the beaches far better than dealing with rush hour commutes on Gulf to Bay, East Bay Drive and Ulmerton Road on a daily basis. Housing is a bit cheaper in Tampa, gas is cheaper and we are surrounded by "A" rated schools. My wife, 17yr old daughter and I, live off of Waters Avenue and Dale Mabry Hwy, which is 2 miles north of Raymond James Stadium. I know your not from the area, however, depending on your budget and whether you want to rent or buy, will determine where you wish to live. Right behind Raymond James Stadium is St. Joseph's Hospital (Level 2 Trauma Center), St. Joseph's Women's Hospital directly across the street, Florida Hospital Carrollwood, St. Joseph's North and Florida Hospital Tampa. Within an 5 mile radius, there are 5 hospitals. Tampa General Hospital (Level One Trauma Center) is 3 miles from St. Joseph's, plenty of OB/GYN offices and other specialty offices around this area. Housing is abundant and if you want to live in a real nice community, Westchase and Countryway, near Town and Country, is great. Is virtually next to Oldsmar, which is in Pinellas County on the county line.

I regards to Pinellas County, stay away from Largo , unless your east of US 19. Clearwater is nice, but older for the most part. Palm Harbor is real nice as well as Dunedin and Safety Harbor. Further north, Tarpon Springs is nice in certain parts. Every county has its issues and places to stay away from. I am NOT slamming ANYONE in Clearwater...its merely a preference and I choose to not live in Clearwater for various reasons including what was mentioned.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-07-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 PM

6,255 posts, read 5,864,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconsin Native View Post
Some may argue that living in Clearwater is not that expensive, however, I live in Tampa and find the 45 minute drive to the beaches far better than dealing with rush hour commutes on Gulf to Bay, East Bay Drive and Ulmerton Road on a daily basis. Housing is a bit cheaper in Tampa, gas is cheaper and we are surrounded by "A" rated schools. My wife, 17yr old daughter and I, live off of Waters Avenue and Dale Mabry Hwy, which is 2 miles north of Raymond James Stadium. I know your not from the area, however, depending on your budget and whether you want to rent or buy, will determine where you wish to live. Right behind Raymond James Stadium is St. Joseph's Hospital (Level 2 Trauma Center), St. Joseph's Women's Hospital directly across the street, Florida Hospital Carrollwood, St. Joseph's North and Florida Hospital Tampa. Within an 5 mile radius, there are 5 hospitals. Tampa General Hospital (Level One Trauma Center) is 3 miles from St. Joseph's, plenty of OB/GYN offices and other specialty offices around this area. Housing is abundant and if you want to live in a real nice community, Westchase and Countryway, near Town and Country, is great. Is virtually next to Oldsmar, which is in Pinellas County on the county line.

I regards to Pinellas County, stay away from Largo , unless your east of US 19. Clearwater is nice, but older for the most part. Palm Harbor is real nice as well as Dunedin and Safety Harbor. Further north, Tarpon Springs is nice in certain parts. Every county has its issues and places to stay away from. I am NOT slamming ANYONE in Clearwater...its merely a preference and I choose to not live in Clearwater for various reasons including what was mentioned.
I think this is a fair assessment...

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-07-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconsin Native View Post

Thanks for your feedback. Will take your comments into consideration. We are looking to rent so that we can get to know the area better before we consider buying and I would be the only one working initially and looking to work at Mortan Plant Hospital as an RN. How is the job market for someone with a bachelor's degree in Business Administration? My husband is almost finished with his degree.
Is the traffic really bad all the time? I've been there a few times and the traffic can get a little hectic. We would really prefer to live closer to the beach because we will definitely go very often.
It only takes you 45min to get to the beaches? I would think more with traffic no? Is there usually traffic on Campbell Causeway getting to the beach? I actually know someone who lives in Westchase and its beautiful there just far from the beach in my opinion..:/

Thanks again for your time. Greatly appreciated!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,449,202 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. Will take your comments into consideration. We are looking to rent so that we can get to know the area better before we consider buying and I would be the only one working initially and looking to work at Mortan Plant Hospital as an RN.
Just so you are aware, the nurses at Morton Plant Mease work 12 hour shifts. In fact, that is common at many hospitals here. Not sure if they do that where you are from.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Just so you are aware, the nurses at Morton Plant Mease work 12 hour shifts. In fact, that is common at many hospitals here. Not sure if they do that where you are from.
Yes..I am aware of that. Up here there are more 8hr shifts, some 12. Thank you

Old 06-08-2014, 01:44 PM

8,569 posts, read 7,449,202 times
Quote:
Yes..I am aware of that. Up here there are more 8hr shifts, some 12. Thank you
Very good. Just did not want you walking into that blindly. I have been in and out of hospitals over the last year and was surprised to find this out.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM

13,548 posts, read 17,090,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think this is a fair assessment...
I think the comment about Largo is way off base though. There are some not so nice areas of Largo, but there is certainly nothing worthy of being "avoided". Maybe I'm just jaded because I've spent time in cities where there are REAL bad areas, but there isn't a single street in Largo I wouldn't walk down at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay