U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM

47 posts, read 130,933 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I have been looking long and hard for where to buy a second home that we might spend about 2 months a year at on average when we escape the Cleveland winter - So many places my head starts to spin so hopefully you can help narrow down my list.

My budget is 200-275K - We want to be within a 10min drive to the beach (closer the better... a walk would be great!) - get a 3BR 1.5BA minimum - Pool if possible.

We are not picky at all but I am looking to get the best bang for my buck because I might plan on renting somewhere down the road.

What markets fit my criteria because we are going down in August to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 AM

71 posts, read 239,022 times
You should check out Pinellas. Clearwater, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, areas.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,765,509 times
If you are looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, don't buy.

The annual cost of financing and maintaining a $200-275k house will cost you more than renting a very, very high-end waterfront house or condo for two months a year. Take advantage of someone else's financial albatross.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 AM

30,896 posts, read 35,075,085 times
$275K seems like a lot of money to tie up in a house you may only visit for 2 months a year, who takes care of the place for the other 10 months a year?
If i were looking for a winter retreat i'd go towards renting a condo or a nice double wide in a mobile home park near the beach../

Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 AM

23,288 posts, read 34,409,768 times
If you are looking for the best bang for your buck than you probably want to look in Pasco near the beaches.

Pasco has lower property taxes which saves you yearly.

Of course Pinellas has some very nice areas near the beach close to the night life that Pasco doesn't have but that is also why the property values over there are higher. Unless that is one of your requirements you should expend your area.

In Pasco you can also life on the beach/Gulf and have boat and go straight onto the Gulf on choose to be a little inland on the waterways leading to the Gulf which means lower prices and more house.

Keep in mind you are looking at higher flood zone areas and flood ins. Is higher but we have seen much better ins. quotes lately. If you pay cash then it is up to you what to do with the additional flood ins. like some cash buyers who choose to get it while other rather deal with the risk.

As a professional and a person who always had ins. I would recommend to take flood ins. to not take the risks in case something happens but that is a personal opinion and it of course depends how much money you have to be able to deal with a loss and build it up again.

Some home owners never in all the decades of living near the coast had any flooding but that one time can be the one that ruins everything.

I would suggest to look online at areas and read about areas. Take a look at google earth or other online available maps and when you are here drive around and see what you prefer.

Of course a realtor can set up searches in different areas so you can see what different prices will give you.

Careful to do it on your own since you are not aware with Florida real estate law and the sellers agent will only look out for the sellers best interest and you don't pay the buyers agent but the seller will pay for the service of bringing a client to buy the house.

The days that buyers that were not represented got a better deal are over so that is a mute point and with financial issues of some sellers or divorces, estate sales, you are better off by getting professional help.

There are many agents and check them out so you feel comfortable with who to choose and don't go with one who is only fast in talking and after 1-2 weeks checks out and can't be reached.

Florida is using mostly title companies to close and they have different charges...some charge higher fees for just what should be called their admin fee so make sure you are not paying $1000 for that since there are many that charge less than half and that is money that you can use for other stuff.

Welcome to Florida and enjoying nice weather and friendly people.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If you are looking for the best bang for your buck than you probably want to look in Pasco near the beaches.
Theres no beaches in Pasco county that i can think of.The nearest i can think of is Clearwater 30 miles south..

Look somewhere in this area if beaches are a big factor..

Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,459,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres no beaches in Pasco county that i can think of.The nearest i can think of is Clearwater 30 miles south..

Look somewhere in this area if beaches are a big factor..
Pasco has Hudson Beach, as well as a number of small beaches off the paths which locals love as they are not developed like tourist spots.

There are beaches well before Clearwater, although not as big or developed as Clearwater. One is just over the Pasco and Pinellas line, but in Pinellas. It is Sunset Beach in Tarpon Springs.

Then a little further down in Pinellas there is Honeymoon Island in Dunedin.

Of course Clearwater beach is geared 100% toward tourists and is raked and groomed daily.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If you are looking to get the biggest bang for your buck, don't buy.

The annual cost of financing and maintaining a $200-275k house will cost you more than renting a very, very high-end waterfront house or condo for two months a year. Take advantage of someone else's financial albatross.
They can get a house for far far below that price range near the coastline in Pasco, and they can rent it when they are not there. It can actually be a net profit to buy a house, if you rent it out.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

I'd think people willing to drop the best part of $300K on a place they only intend to use a couple of months a year will not be impressed with dumpy little Hudson beach or Green Key or Anclote River Beach or Frank Howard park, they are going to want the real deal, miles of white sandy beaches as can be had from Clearwater to Pass-a-Grille.
As for renting out the place when you arent there? risky and much potential for problems.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd think people willing to drop the best part of $300K on a place they only intend to use a couple of months a year will not be impressed with dumpy little Hudson beach or Green Key or Anclote River Beach or Frank Howard park, they are going to want the real deal, miles of white sandy beaches as can be had from Clearwater to Pass-a-Grille.
As for renting out the place when you arent there? risky and much potential for problems.
No argument at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay