U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:28 PM

3,489 posts, read 3,598,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
what are you saying?......Northern money keeps our state alive......
If northern money made a significant impact, then our roads would be getting done a lot faster, wouldn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 PM

24,854 posts, read 20,928,508 times
guess we'd still driving on dirt roads w/o their support....and having outhouse toilets instead of indoor plumbing......

Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,232,493 times
I'm saying all the northern people bought there money here when they retired. The Tampa bay area is mostly northern people only how many here are true floridians here. Everyone is from either up north or Canada. Business depend on the people coming from the north in the winter. There is allot of old new York and Michigan money here. Also this is why it's so hard to get a fan base for any of your sports teams. I'm a Redwing and Tiger fan. So those of you that are writing here are you from Florida? Florida is known as a retire state and filled with people from the north. We bring allot of money into the local economy no one can despite that fact. So don't tell me that if people moved back north thet it would not hurt the economy here.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,424,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I'm saying all the northern people bought there money here when they retired. The Tampa bay area is mostly northern people only how many tyre floridians are here. Everyone is from either up north or Canada. Business depend on the people coming from the north in the winter. There is allot of old new York and Michigan money here. Also this is why it's so hard to get a fan base for any of your sports teams. I'm a Redwing and Tiger fan. So those of you that are writing here are from Florida. Florida is known as a retire state and filled with people from the north. We bring allot of money into the local economy no one can despite that fact. So don't tell me that if people moved back north thet it would not hurt the economy here.

Sure snowbirds bring a lot to our economy. They pay property taxes on their second homes, they spend their money in our restaurants, stores, pay for utilities. So that is the way it is. I dont have a problem with that, do you?

We have 20 million people here. The state would go on without the seasonal influx of snowbirds.

BTW, I relocated here 26 years ago from NYC. I still root for the Yankees, the Rangers, Jets and the Knicks.
I did not retire here. I came to work and have a better quality of life. FL is now my home and always will be.

If you feel that its better where you came from, by all means, pack it up and go back and tell everyone how great it is there instead of trying to convince me that it is so great up there.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM

94 posts, read 229,613 times
I have learned to never make the trip up 19 when I am pressed for time. I always try to give myself plenty of extra time. It's not a fun route, but I've lived in a number of places, and seen worse.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:23 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,069,669 times
To be fair, most states haven't had the population explosion for the last three decades FL has had. Then you have the thunderstorms that whip up this time of year out of nowhere on a daily basis so you can't have the workers out there in the lightning
I believe they lost control of 19 back in the 70's, around then I think the first overpass was Gulf to Bay. They should have just kept going with the overpasses then but now it's too late and it seems 19 will forever be under construction.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM

Uh oh.....this is what you get when you allow some country-bumpkin, lazy, Southerns work on a road construction......

Gas leak closes lanes on U.S. 19 in Palm Harbor | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 AM

30,565 posts, read 34,459,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
I have learned to never make the trip up 19 when I am pressed for time. I always try to give myself plenty of extra time. It's not a fun route, but I've lived in a number of places, and seen worse.
Good advice if you are traveling on 19, take your time and realize no matter which lane you choose to be in at the 100 or so traffic lights its going to be the slowest lane every time.

As for the relevance of just the tourist dollars to Florida,it generates a substantial amount of dollars for Florida
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/...m/tourism1.htm

Exerpt.=
Quote:
Today, tourism is the most important factor driving Florida's economy. About forty million people visit Florida yearly. The money visitors spend in Florida supports many businesses. Amounting to over $40 billion dollars each year, tourism is the state's greatest source of income. As tourism continues to grow, so will Florida.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-16-2014 at 04:14 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 AM

As tourism grows so will Florida.......

That's good if you want Florida to grow into some megapolis extending from Key West to the Georgia border. I don't. I saw it happen in Hawaii over 30-40 yrs. Hawaii used to be a great place to live, now it's wall-to-wall people and traffic and congestion (Oahu specifically).

My favorite places in Florida are rural areas - how Florida was decades ago. More people, more cars, more buildings, more construction aren't a good thing, imo. But that's okay, it'll make leaving FLA for a less populated area of our country easier to make when that times comes, eventually.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 AM

“Today, where the orange groves once stood, houses now stand within a few feet of one another. The wide open roads…are bumper to bumper with exhaust-spewing autos. Leisurely Sunday drives are still available, if your idea of attractive scenery is boom cranes, buildings under construction, and dirt mounds on the horizon in all directions. The lakes post pollution warnings to would-be swimmers and are depleted of fish. As for orange blossoms in the air, once the trademark of a warm spring night: Forget it.”

—Jill Krueger, writing in the Orlando Business Journal on a changing Florida

Florida, the seventh-fastest growing state in the country, has reached this downside to growth. A mid-1999 survey of Florida voters found that more than 80 percent considered the state’s burgeoning population a problem and 40 percent said that Florida has become a less comfortable place to live over the past five years.4

But the population growth that has transformed Florida into a crowded mass of subdivisions, congested highways, and paved-over pastures has just begun. If current trends continue, the state’s population will increase by 5.5 million by 2025 and will have doubled by 2050, when its population could surpass 32 million – or twice the 15,982,378 counted in the 2000 census. (That does not include the close to one million “snowbirds” who reside in the state every winter.

Focus on Florida: Population, Resources and Quality of Life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay