U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 8,011 times

Advertisements

Dear Folks; first of all nice to find this forum and read so many interesting questions regarding life back in the US. I will try to explain my problem or doubts and hopefully some of you there could advice me what I should do or not, or better off if it was your case what would you do? Iīm a dual citizenship that is US and Spanish was born in Spain eventhough I am American citizen because my Father was from New York. Anywayīs I been living basically all my life in Europe in Spain since I was 13 and came back from the states. We lived in Tampa.
Through all these years Iīve always wanted to go back to the US and live there... you know you spend most of your life in the same place and now you want to make a huge change. Thing is I am no longer working since I have a total imcapacity pension from the spanish GOV. This pension in Spain is exempt from paying any taxes. My annual income is 23,483 Euros wich is $31,783USD as I mentioned I am totally free from paying taxes since in Spain these type of pensions are exempt.

Now question and doubt is..I beleive first of all if I get this pension into any American bank each month obviously I will have to declare this pension where I move in this case for example Tampa; I donīt think there is any double treaty agreement regarding taxes between Spain and the United States so I think I would have to pay taxes over this annual amount, I make monthly $2,269USD how much would a single person would pay on taxes each month over this incoming pension from Spain?

Also in Spain these pensionist or type of pensions donīt have to pay Medical insurance itīs Free since we have what we call that Universal Health Care. In the states I assume I would have to get a medical insurance am I right? I am actually 45yo and not marry no kids. So how much I would have to pay for a full cover insurance policy??

There is also small things like driverīs license I think my spanish license is not valid and Iwould also have to go through the same process of exams again..but that is the less. Big doubts come in taxes and medical..my question would be..if you where on my same position would you start from 0 and go back to the states??
sometimes testimonials from other persons help lots trust me so I would appreciate this so much.I feel confused, in one way I want to leave this country, in other way I want to not risk my incoming salary wich is basically what I live from.
Hoping to read some helping hands Thank you so much from Spain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Don't have any advice for you, but I do have a question. Will the Spanish government actually continue to pay you over 30K a year if you relocate to the United States? I thought you had to remain in-country in order to receive any government benefits.

And wow … does anyone else think over 30K per year is a lot of money for a government to give an incapacitated citizen? I know a couple of people on disability here in the United States, and they don't get over 30K per year. Not making any judgements … I'm just shocked at the amount.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM

24,736 posts, read 20,881,479 times
Single filing status 2014 Federal Tax Rates.....
10% on taxable income from $0 to $9,075, plus
15% on taxable income over $9,075 to $36,900, plus
25% on taxable income over $36,900 to $89,350, plus
28% on taxable income over $89,350 to $186,350, plus
33% on taxable income over $186,350 to $405,100, plus
35% on taxable income over $405,100 to $406,750, plus
39.6% on taxable income over $406,750.

------------------
Nice weather, good public transportation, universal health care in Spain (right?), plus a very good pension.....why exactly do you want to immigrate to Florida?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Don't have any advice for you, but I do have a question. Will the Spanish government actually continue to pay you over 30K a year if you relocate to the United States? I thought you had to remain in-country in order to receive any government benefits.

And wow … does anyone else think over 30K per year is a lot of money for a government to give an incapacitated citizen? I know a couple of people on disability here in the United States, and they don't get over 30K per year. Not making any judgements … I'm just shocked at the amount.
You can go wherever you want in the world; since itīs a total complete disability for life. As longa s you give the Spanish Social Secutity a valid bank account for them to send you the money. And reason i have over 30k is because I worked in the highest level of my job wich was a good pay.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM

3,312 posts, read 7,101,029 times
So, will you be able to get Disability in Spain and in the US when you move here?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
So, will you be able to get Disability in Spain and in the US when you move here?
I donīt want to get disability in the US. No need to be greety.I have my income already.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean1969 View Post
You can go wherever you want in the world; since itīs a total complete disability for life. As longa s you give the Spanish Social Secutity a valid bank account for them to send you the money. And reason i have over 30k is because I worked in the highest level of my job wich was a good pay.
Wow. Gotcha! Thanks for explaining!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM

2,598 posts, read 3,821,311 times
Here are some thoughts that may help you decide in one way or other...

1) What is the reason that you leaving Spain? what is that you think you can get here that you don't there? I can think thousands the other way around

2) Can you just come and visit and see how things are? It is not really expensive to come and visit, especially if you are making a life changing situation

3) I personally think that the medical issue is a big one. Given that you are in disability means that you need quality care which you get now for free.

4) If I were in your place (and I lived in Europe and traveled many places), I wouldn't do it. No way in your situation.

5) How is the support system that you have there? It is not easy to start from scratch at 45, I would think.

6) The biggest problem people are leaving Europe and specially Spain/Italy is because of job and you don't need that.

Again, I would encourage you to come and visit and see for yourself but there is no way I would do it if I were in your shoes because I am not sure you would live similar quality of life as you have now.

You are smart asking all this.....

Good luck!

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 06-13-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean1969 View Post
I donīt want to get disability in the US. No need to be greety.I have my income already.
That's a good attitude to have, but if you wanted to get disability here too, COULD you? I'm just wondering whether or not our government would grant disability income to someone who is already receiving disability from another country. I wouldn't think so, but I just want to be sure.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM

30,530 posts, read 34,418,199 times
Why not start with a vacation to Tampa just to make sure your dream of Tampa is on the same page as the reality of Tampa..example; If this disability prevents you from driving a car Tampa would be a difficult place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: