Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,402,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopski View Post
Thanks for your input spb....

When I was there last week looking around I just was using Zillow (instead of an agent) because I didn't even know where I wanted to be yet. I looked at probably 15+ homes up to $700K and most were livable at least to me. For me to be able to live in the location I want I think I will have to make compromises and not have the home like I am sure you (spbbound) are building. I can fix most things as long as the sq ft is there and the location is prime.
The flood elevation is another issue.
I have since spoken with a "top" level agent (don't know if I am getting the truth yet....trust has to build). Their opinion is that the private sector such as Lloyds is stepping up because there is money to be made and still giving the homeowner somewhat affordable rates.

sbbound, can I ask what the tear down costs were and price per foot of your new home (and the level of luxury you built in , scale of 1-10) all done?
Thoughts?
Sounds good; don't forget to check the marine navigation maps. Some homes I've found advertised as being 'deep water' when they're really talking about the fact that the depth is five feet at high tide. How much depth does a sail boat require out of curiosity? I've never been into boating; I'm scared it will become a money pit.

Regarding insurance, unfortunately with the national flood insurance program, it's not entirely about statistics. Floridians see more than 50% of what they pay into the program leave the state to pay for other states' mishaps; NOLA for example, where someone thinks it's a good idea to keep bailing people out who choose to live below sea level. So they like having us on the hook as the revenue generator to fund everyone else's deficit. I think private insurance will fall somewhere in the middle of what had been the old subsidized rates and what are now the astronomic rates, but we're still probably talking several thousand/year if the home is below flood elevation and that can get annoying in the long term.

As far as tear down, it was pretty cheap. I paid $6k to remove a 1500 sq foot block home on footers; no slab. It included taking all the plants and four reasonably sized trees and digging up and removing three septic tanks that were found after removing the house; they dated back to the 1930's before sewer was available. Only took a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM

94 posts, read 154,616 times
We are in the same stage of life as you, (60) love to boat, Our idea of a Florida home is a shack, something you don't have to worry much about if it blows away. We found a 1300 sq ft 1955 Glass House on the south east side of st.pete. It is across the street from my dock on Tampa Bay, IMO one of the best sailing spots in the US. no bridges to the bay, Have you ever seen Tampa Bay in Feb with all the Rag Bagers out for a nice Sunday sail? We will only be winters as Alaska is the best in the summer, will keep our home here, Don't be forced into wind/flood ins. Spend only what you can afford to loose. These houses with a dock can be had for under 200K,

The best sailing is in the winter inside the bay, Plus downtown is a 5min cab ride home.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 17,885 times
Yes SPB, the charts are a good start but in this area local knowledge is a must!
This is one of the reasons I started this thread.
Apparently sailors in the area must be using a different medium.
Sailors, as a rule, are more than willing to share this kind of info.

How much is your new home construction (per sq ft) costing you after the demo is done?

Insurance;
If most of the dollars are going elsewhere, why can't the independent insurance agencies step in and milk the cream in the less risk areas? Are there regulations against this?

Money pit....... ???

If this is your concern, I will do you a very big favor and never invite you out on a sail!

As far as sailboat draft ;
There are sooooo many variables as to type of sailboats and their respective drafts I could write pages on this but trying to give a short answer...

Size (length) I am talking about 34 to 50 on monohulls
and 34 to 44 catamarans

Monohulls; racing boats have very deep draft up to 7-9 ft. Obviously not practical for this area.

They also have shoal draft monohulls for shallower waters, maybe 4-6 ft, they can navigate shallower water but give up some upwind performance.

Catamarans are by nature shallower draft as they don't rely on the depth of keel to keep them stable due to the two hulls creating the stabilization . But even cats need some keel so that they are not just blown sideways, but track when you are going upwind.

Catamaran drafts with fixed keels draw 2.5 to 4.5' and have beams

catamaran are beamy 14' to 24' (mostly 20-22') so you have to have a very wide canal or on open water.

Some higher performance Cats have dagger boards instead of fixed keels. This allows you to retract your keel when in shallow water (or going downwind for less friction) and deploy them when you need up wind performance. These cats can draw 1.5'- 2' (daggers up) to 5-7' (daggers down).

Cats are also considerable more expensive and have a lot more living space per foot.
It has been said that the same length monhull to same length catamaran the monohull has 60% the amount of space the cat has. In other words a 34' cat +/- has the same space as a 60' +/- monohull. I don't know this to be totally accurate but it certainly feel like it when you are on the respective boats.

As with anything in sailing there are a lot of exceptions to the above info but this give you an idea in generalities.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Sorry the above line should say

Catamaran drafts with fixed keels draw 2.5' to 4.5'. (period)

I do my best proofreading after I push send.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 AM

Alaskan,

Well you certainly picked a location for the antidote to AK!!

What kind of boat do you have and how much time are you spending in your "shack" as opposed to your floating home?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM

80 posts, read 85,113 times
Default Sad Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopski View Post
I have to ask Sad Irish why are you so said ........... did the Irishman give up drinking??
The part of NYC I grew up in became sad. A once thriving Irish/Italian/Jewish/Albanian neighborhood became danerous, uncivil and criminal due to Liberal political policies. The demographics changed and not not for the better. Social engineering = uncivil behavior and neighborhood ruin.

A few years ago I went back to the old neighborhood and I was sickened at what it had become. A HO was walking where we used to play box baseball. As a teen, it was like watching a bridge slowly crashing into a river, you could not stop it, but were mezerized by what you saw.

That said, if you hit TI, let me know. I will buy you a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay