Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,885 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been looking around Florida for 3 years (getting ready to retire-age 59) trying to find the best place for boating and having city amenities such as restaurants, activity clubs, etc.

I have looked from Ft Lauderdale to Stuart, Marco Island to Cape Coral (two trips) and just got back from the last trip which was to explore Punta Gorda to Tampa Bay area.

I really loved the St Pete Beach area as it seems to be centrally located and the waterfront houses seemed to have wider canals so you are not staring into someones back yard/window (and visa versa). It also is a larger town so has all the city amenities. It is pretty spendy but I think I can get a decent house in the 5-$600K range. Anything more and it eats into my boating fund

I am moving from a small town in Oregon.
Haven't lived in a large city in some time (27yrs) and a little worried about the reported crime in the St Pete areas. As I recall, when living in a larger city there were areas in the city you just didn't go to, is this the case in this area? Are the stats not that bad if you use common sense or is this area really something that should be avoided altogether?

The main reason to move to Fl is boating and warm weather and to live in a larger city than the current one (pop 10K).
I am looking for a location that gives me lots of options for a base for a cruising (34'-42' cat) sailboat as well as (22'+/-) power boat.
Likes; beachcats, waterski/wakeboard, diving, fishing, music, good food & wine, explore new things in addition to sailing.
Would like to have as many options for boating as possible so as not to get bored with the same thing all the time.
I have not found many reviews with a boating (sail & power) perspective...anyone have some input for a good home base? Fun places to go by boat etc. in addition to the above questions.

Hope you can help!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,070,652 times
Not a boater I am afraid, but there are many areas of the Tampa Bay region that would work for you with a boat.
From North county around Tarpon Springs and Dunedin both quite quaint towns although TS is a little touristy and kitsch, to mid county with lots of places both sides of the barrier islands, to all around the sides and tip of St Pete and you can get access to wide open waters of the Gulf pretty easily from all. Pricewise there are homes in your range with their own deepwater docks, but they are fixer uppers often or modest, but you sound like you dont mind that so much. Also many areas dont really feel like bit cities, but they are more crowded than maybe where you are, but on the open water thats prob not a concern. Plenty of waterfront places to stop with a boat too on the intracoastal.

good luck with your hunting

Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM

40 posts, read 47,765 times
Tierra Verde is a good place to start.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 AM

819 posts, read 1,402,246 times
I think you'd be hard pressed to get anything but a tear down in a $600k range on St Pete Beach. Even if livable, it's going to be below FEMA base flood elevation, so you're going to get really screwed on flood insurance unless you're a cash buyer and choose to forgo. Second issue might be water depth. I don't know what kind of depth a boat like that needs but many of St Pete Beach's waterfront homes are on relatively shallow areas. The ones that are on deep water and near a channel probably limits you to about 200 total homes, and finding one that is for sale, livable and $600k will not be easy.

I definitely hear you on not looking into your neighbors' windows across the channel; that's why I ruled out Treasure Island almost immediately. All their constructed islands are just like that. Traffic to the interstate from SPB is easier too. I really love it there; my wife and I go all the time while we wait for our home to be constructed.

Is a marina an option? I know that can get expensive with the monthly fees.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 AM

80 posts, read 85,113 times
Take a look at Treasure Island and also Maderia Beach. Both communities are boat friendly and have multiple slips/docks. If you don't own a home on the water, many homeowners that have a dock and no boat will let you rent it very cheaply, so you are paying a lot of $$ for dry storage.

Also, Johns Pass offers easy access to the Gulf.

Good luck, fair winds and following seas.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks for your input spb....

When I was there last week looking around I just was using Zillow (instead of an agent) because I didn't even know where I wanted to be yet. I looked at probably 15+ homes up to $700K and most were livable at least to me. For me to be able to live in the location I want I think I will have to make compromises and not have the home like I am sure you (spbbound) are building. I can fix most things as long as the sq ft is there and the location is prime.
The flood elevation is another issue.
I have since spoken with a "top" level agent (don't know if I am getting the truth yet....trust has to build). Their opinion is that the private sector such as Lloyds is stepping up because there is money to be made and still giving the homeowner somewhat affordable rates.
My out look is (right or wrong) that these homes have been there for 50 to 70 years and are still standing.... Where do they get these 100 yr elevations anyway? In Oregon it is pretty random and I have actually gotten houses taken out of the flood plane records (My back ground is Civil Engineer).
The insurance game is all about statistics. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that if these neighborhoods have been standing there this long and they are capturing the replacement costs in 10 +/- years that there needs to be competition because someone is making too much money.
I am in the position that I will not have a loan on the property so I have more options than some.

sbbound, can I ask what the tear down costs were and price per foot of your new home (and the level of luxury you built in , scale of 1-10) all done?
Thoughts?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM

I have to ask Sad Irish why are you so said ........... did the Irishman give up drinking??

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM

How do you find these private homeowners that have empty dock space?

Is there some publication? craigslist?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM

If I have to put the catamaran in a Marina I will probably just try to live aboard and move my floating condo seasonally. Don't know if I will like that lifestyle but willing to give it a try......

Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 AM

Of course the 10 yr recapture from above is derived from those horror storied rates of 20 - $40K+ insurance rates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay