U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Ottawa Valley & Dunedin FL
1,403 posts, read 2,068,166 times
Reputation: 1133

Advertisements

I'm a little perplexed by your son's condition. Doesn't quite sound like seasonal allergies, if he's okay in the summer, but not in the winter. In any case, if your doctor says it would be good for me, go for it. But do be aware that some people, after they've lived in Florida for a while, develop airborne allergies that they didn't have in the north. This happened to my mom, who had never had hay fever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 PM
 
4,589 posts, read 3,946,232 times
Reputation: 4312
We all take allergy medicine here! There is something blooming here non stop. Don't use that as a reason to move, you'll regret it.
When was the last time your doctor lived here?

Based on the rest of your post, don't until you're sure...otherwise you won't be open 100% to how things are down here! Believe it or not, there is some guy from Chicago in here complaining "we" have pot holes! Hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,076 times
Reputation: 10
Financially, how long can you go without finding a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM
 
99 posts, read 93,684 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
TPA to ORD, non-stop is only $254; just 2 1/2 hours. Make the trip every other month for a long weekend to see your mother and give your brother a well-deserved break.
Great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM
 
15,878 posts, read 17,387,683 times
Reputation: 30348
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
I know it's not a guarantee, but he was getting sick when we were heading down there a couple years ago and during the week we were there, he got better, not worse. As a matter of fact, he was without symptoms the day we left. Coincidence? Not sure.

Thanks for kind words! I hope we're able to relocate!

You can't base a week in FL on how your son is going to feel if you move to FL. As someone who has suffered with allergies most of my life and lived in different parts of the country I can tell you that you can leave one region where you have problems and be fine in the new place for awhile and than develop allergies. Or sometimes you arrive just in time for something to bloom and find it sets you off.

FL is LOADED with pollens and mold spores. You actually see the pollen on cars and in puddles after it rains. You need to keep that in mind.

Does he currently go to an allergist? If he does I would talk to them first.

And sorry, you may not want to hear about jobs, but to move two adults and a child anywhere is very foolish unless you have extensive savings(and I don't mean going into a 401K), I mean savings that you can part with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Historic Gulfport
464 posts, read 445,419 times
Reputation: 408
I find I have to take daily OTC allergy meds since moving here. I had the same problem in Mexico....when you are in a tropical/semi-tropical climate, SOMETHING is always in bloom and there's pollen in the air year round. Not so true when we lived in AZ, which was more seasonal, less 'flowery' plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
 
99 posts, read 93,684 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I find I have to take daily OTC allergy meds since moving here. I had the same problem in Mexico....when you are in a tropical/semi-tropical climate, SOMETHING is always in bloom and there's pollen in the air year round. Not so true when we lived in AZ, which was more seasonal, less 'flowery' plants.
I guess you're right. Depends on what you're allergic to. I seen a study a year ago or so that ranked Phoenix at the top of the list of worst places to live with allergies. Tampa was a lot further down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM
 
99 posts, read 93,684 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I'm a little perplexed by your son's condition. Doesn't quite sound like seasonal allergies, if he's okay in the summer, but not in the winter. In any case, if your doctor says it would be good for me, go for it. But do be aware that some people, after they've lived in Florida for a while, develop airborne allergies that they didn't have in the north. This happened to my mom, who had never had hay fever before.
I think it's the pollen/tree/grass etc. To answer another post, yes, we took him to an allergist and the things I just mentioned he's allergic to. But that sea air made him feel a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM
 
99 posts, read 93,684 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can't base a week in FL on how your son is going to feel if you move to FL. As someone who has suffered with allergies most of my life and lived in different parts of the country I can tell you that you can leave one region where you have problems and be fine in the new place for awhile and than develop allergies. Or sometimes you arrive just in time for something to bloom and find it sets you off.

FL is LOADED with pollens and mold spores. You actually see the pollen on cars and in puddles after it rains. You need to keep that in mind.

Does he currently go to an allergist? If he does I would talk to them first.

And sorry, you may not want to hear about jobs, but to move two adults and a child anywhere is very foolish unless you have extensive savings(and I don't mean going into a 401K), I mean savings that you can part with.
We'd take some money left over from the sale of our house and rent at first. And we don't plan on moving our entire house. So worst case scenario we go down there for few months, see what happens, and if for some reason it doesn't work out, we move back here. Jobs will be waiting for us here if that happens so we're not worried about that. And if it does work out, then hey, we're in paradise! Compared to Chicago, I mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Historic Gulfport
464 posts, read 445,419 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
I guess you're right. Depends on what you're allergic to. I seen a study a year ago or so that ranked Phoenix at the top of the list of worst places to live with allergies. Tampa was a lot further down.
Phoenix is bad for pollen because everyone there moved from the MidWest and still wants a green lawn and rose beds, for Pete's sakes!! But in Tucson and especially where we lived in Bisbee, plantings are more desert landscape, hardly any lawns, more rocks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top