Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM

25 posts, read 61,668 times

Advertisements

I am a single female senior (67) trying to determine where on the west coast of Florida I would be happy. I would like there to be some activity as well as to be close to the beach and shopping. Are there any other seniors starting over that could give me any advice? Should I be looking at apartments or condos? I am thinking of renting first because I am not really sure about anything. I have a small dog that must stay with me.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 01:20 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,332,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosepath View Post
I am a single female senior (67) trying to determine where on the west coast of Florida I would be happy. I would like there to be some activity as well as to be close to the beach and shopping. Are there any other seniors starting over that could give me any advice? Should I be looking at apartments or condos? I am thinking of renting first because I am not really sure about anything. I have a small dog that must stay with me.
Thanks for your help.
My mother is exactly your age and single. LOVES Clearwater and absolutely loves Venice. I think either of those places would be great for you. Close to beach and shopping. My mother likes the walking culture in Venice, and that there are people her age, but there has been an influx of younger families (which she loves). She is close to Sarasota for St. Armand's Key and other artistic, cultural areas. Very nice area. I would look at a condo if you are going to Venice. They are reasonable these days. Venice is a much safer area than Clearwater, and not so commercial. My mother has 2 small dogs, and enjoys walking them around her neighborhood. You'll meet a lot of friends that way. Good luck to you. Depending on what you like to do for fun, there are great things in Venice. Golf, parades, shopping, restaurants, beaches, church activities, small bars (they close early), Sharky's is a little tiki bar restaurant place that is touristy with live music. Venice/Englewood also has a dog beach where you could take your little dog to the beach and walk around. Sorry I wasn't a senior responding, but I have first hand knowledge.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Sun City Center, FL is a great place for seniors - but not close to a great beach. Bahia is the closest (Ruskin), and Bradenton and Sarasota beaches are about 30 mins away.

But SSC has a lot to offer seniors - lots of social activities. You can buy/rent an inexpensive villa. HOA may be a little steep for a senior's budget, though. Can't tell you what that costs at SSC. They have a lot of nice clubs, fitness, pools, etc. Not your typical oldtimer's retirement center - I highly recommend you look into it. Housing is available for all levels of financial situations/circumstances.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
One additional word about SSC - transportation in and around SSC in addition to bus trips to various shopping centers and performing arts is readily available. I think the fees are very reasonable. This is a great deal for older folks who are no longer willing to face the challenges of driving.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,215,093 times
I don't know exactly where this is (maybe someone can help) but there is an area in Florida that people refer to as the Disney Land for Seniors. A ton of activities, great places to live..... Anyone know what this is?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,573,620 times
Default Clearwater

I would think that Clearwater would have everything that you might want or need, fairly close to the beach,and shopping, I love Roberts Christmas World
I had some senior friends that loved Top of the World, they said they had singles clubs and lots of other clubs. Those I believe are condo's.

I have family that lived in Venice, and they had some nice beaches there but I thought it was a little too congested for me, prices are also higher as well as taxes..........either way take some time and go visit each area that's about the only way you'll know which area you like.....good luck on your search

Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I would think that Clearwater would have everything that you might want or need, fairly close to the beach,and shopping, I love Roberts Christmas World
I had some senior friends that loved Top of the World, they said they had singles clubs and lots of other clubs. Those I believe are condo's.

I have family that lived in Venice, and they had some nice beaches there but I thought it was a little too congested for me, prices are also higher as well as taxes..........either way take some time and go visit each area that's about the only way you'll know which area you like.....good luck on your search
Wow, I would never say that Venice is more congested than Clearwater area. However, OP check it out for yourself. I lived most of my life in Clearwater...born on the beach at Morton Plant Hospital. Venice is much more laid back.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:48 PM

192 posts, read 1,161,554 times
Your dog is a lucky one....to have someone so devoted as to take him/her when moving. Good for you!

I would echo the places mentioned by previous folks......Sun City Center is a good place because it's whole existence is built around people 55 and older. There are plenty of activities (more golf carts than regular cars on the roads sometimes!) and shopping is convenient.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times
There are a lot of 55 plus communities all around SW FL. Do you have an amount you want to spend? Venice is more expensive than Clearwater, I think.. Is that right Tony?

Jessiegirl, I think they are referring to The Villages a 55 plus community. In the middle of the state near Orlando

Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Your dog is a lucky one....to have someone so devoted as to take him/her when moving. Good for you!

I would echo the places mentioned by previous folks......Sun City Center is a good place because it's whole existence is built around people 55 and older. There are plenty of activities (more golf carts than regular cars on the roads sometimes!) and shopping is convenient.

Good luck!
Although it is not near the beach. Venice has numerous 55+ communities if that is what you are looking for, and it's on the beach. (5-10 miles off sand at most in areas). In Venice you don't even need a 55+ community as most of the neighborhoods are mostly that age, with some families and young people mixed in. That is what my mom likes about it. Not everyone is old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay