U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM

22,980 posts, read 33,983,749 times

Advertisements

I don't get it when people don't realize that you can have 20 sweet dogs and nothing ever happens but that one time that someone approach them in a different or unexpected way and the dog my react differently and acts up...maybe not to bite on purpose but maybe barks and the finger or a hand is getting caught between the teeth and damage can be done. Maybe just a scratch and nothing else but it can be different.

If you check out some videos for certain issues your dog can have and how you can determine if they have something than they even say that a dog with a certain issue may react due to having pain when you check on something. That is not because the dog is vicious but it is in pain or uncomfortable.

Most parents teach their kids not to talk to strangers and not to pet animals they are not familiar with or careful to approach them. Let a dog sniff first and than if you can see they are ok than you can pet them. Usually kids don't do that unless they are taught very well and we see that too when we walk our dogs. But some just come on their bike throw the bike in the grass and stick their hands out. My dogs are not used to getting a kid on a bike coming directly towards them and the fast action that happens all in seconds. Sometimes you see parents in a distance and not saying anything and it always amazes me.

If dogs don't bite when are there so many dog bite cases. The animal behaves like an animal and in some cases reacts differently than normal...that is also called animal behavior.

If you look on the road how people start to behave than you can see some behave like animals too
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The girls parents are as responsible as any parents are when something happens to their kid. If your child gets abducted then people say where was the parent, wasnt the kid thought to yell or not to talk to strangers, you are always responsible for your kid and you can always rationalize it as something the parents could have done differently, but anyone who has kids can tell you its impossible to keep your eyes on them 100% of the time it will drive you crazy and its not good for them they need to develop independence, I use to ride the subway go where I needed to go when I was 12, I swear if I drop my 12 yo daughter 5 blocks from my house I dont know that she could get back (exaggerating she probably could). At any rate, I dont quite get this whole dogs are dogs thing, i have this continuing discussion with my wife who apparently had a couple of family dogs bite her mom and had to be given away, which is something I cant comprehend giving my dog away, I couldnt, I grew up with dogs as far back as i can remember aside from a doberman who went blind the last months of her life, all of my dogs wouldnt think about biting anyone, I mean I didnt know what they were thinking but they never did and I always roughhouse with the dogs aside from nips, I guess to me a dog has to be neglected and abused to be violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM

436 posts, read 1,207,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I really hate idiots that think their dog is more precious than another human life. Dogs are just that...dogs and CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG .
That's funny because I really dislike people who think their children are more precious than someone's dog

Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM

6,236 posts, read 5,790,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
That's funny because I really dislike people who think their children are more precious than someone's dog
Before I had a child my dog (a rescue) was my baby...the day I had my child the dog became a dog...a very cared for member of our family...but not the depth of feeling I had for my child...

Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM

436 posts, read 1,207,705 times
I think you hit the nail on the head lmw36. There are even many dog owners who do not understand a dog's body language. It's not about dogs being better than humans (even though they are ) , but it's about respecting an animal that has that "potential", however small it may be, to do harm and their space. One person on here mentioned that they never had a problem with a dog being violent...I have 3 and I have never had that problem either, my dogs know I run the pack, but at the same time I'm not going to try to provoke my Husky or come at her the wrong way..I respect she has a strong jaw with many teeth lol

but anyway, yes some dog owners can't recognize the signs of dogs feeling nervous/threatened...let alone a child.
The dog may have been more nervous being on the leash if that's not how it was used to being handled..sometimes dogs are dramatically different on the leash vs off the leash ..maybe it was previously abused with a leash...maybe it was whimpering, snarling, growling, etc trying to give signs that it didn't want to be touched and of course the little girl couldn't be expected to recognize these signs, but mom and dad were nowhere to be found.
I feel horrible for the little girl who will be scarred for life probably. I would hope that this would be a lesson for people and parents to NOT assume that a dog ALWAYS wants pets/hugs/touched/etc sometimes it gives you signs of when it leave it alone , but sadly what people will most likely take away is a lesson of when they think a dog deserves to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Sad all around. I have a lot of emotions for both sides.

Also, "animal rights" is being cognizant that other animals deserve respect. Dogs, like humans, are deadly animals. Unfortunately, they do not speak english, and unfortunately, their human owners don't always socialize them properly. Sometimes the dog has a genuine issue mentally (much like humans). Humans really should stop having such a superiority complex.

I never, ever touch a dog unless given permission by the owner. I hardly even look at them. I've read many books on dog (and other animal) behavior since it's kind of my hobby. If I can tell a dog is agitated looking at me, I turn my body language away to not threaten them.

Surely this little girl had no idea.

They said the dog was always kind to kids. Maybe she encountered the dog at a moment it was threatened/upset by something else. Much like a person who punches the guy in a fight who is trying to help.

Not saying it's right, but it's very likely there's a reason this dog reacted the way it did. Maybe not. A lot of people can't read the subtle body language of a dog or know the "fear" cues. Humans also act irrational when frightened.

That being said, I don't think children should "hug" neighbors dogs. Also it sounds like a very high energy dog (jumping the fence?). It does not surprise me in the least. I'm going to blame the owner mostly for not being cognizant of their responsibility.

I think everyone needs to read a book on dog behavior (more than an article) to understand just how complicated these animals are. Hugging is also not natural to a lot of dogs. Again, not the little girls fault, not what I am saying at all. There are a plethora of great books on amazon.

Sad all around. I can see the emotions from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay