U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 883 times

Advertisements

Just accepted a new job in St.Pete but not relocating from suburbs of Chicago until my son goes off to college in fall of 2015 so gives me a lot of time to start doing my homework on schools and areas to live. I will have a son entering high school and a daughter starting third grade in fall of 2015. Which is better--find the school district first or the house? Living on/near water is important. Is there flexibility or do you have to go to the schools where the house is located? Other considerations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 05:34 AM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Check out the town of Seminole which is just NW of St Pete. School district first would be most important in my opinion. Seminole has the second best school district in Pinellas County, the top district is up at the northeast tip of the county. Check out Bauder Elementary or Starkey Elementary as well as Seminole High School or Osceola High School. For areas near the water check out the south end of town near Bay Pines (St Pete) which provides easy access to Boca Ciega Bay and Madeira Beach or the west end off of Park Boulevard which is equally close to the bay or beach yet in non-evacuation neighborhoods (hurricanes/flooding) for the most part, which is important if purchasing a house and dealing with insurance.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 AM

3,927 posts, read 4,790,995 times
Just watch for FEMA flood zones. You want to be in an "X" -no flood zone. Otherwise, you can run into troubles if the home gets damages, not to mention flood insurance rates.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 AM

18 posts, read 18,672 times
I would take a look at zoning and see what schools would be suitable for your kids. There are plenty of areas in Pinellas County to choose from within close proximity of water. If you are looking to live on the water it will be almost impossible to avoid being in a flood zone. Luckily, there has been improvements to the flood insurance situation down here which have increased consumer confidence.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,220,519 times
South St Pete is like a baby version of the South Side of Chicago.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 PM

464 posts, read 524,988 times
While home shopping, we had chanted the mantra, "Don't buy in a flood zone....don't buy in a flood zone....don't buy in a flood zone." Well, we did. And we don't regret it for a minute. Insurance rates vary dependent on a number of factors, so don't rule out any houses simply on that criteria. Find out the actual premium, and go from there. I'm not gonna live inland in some gawd-awful suburban sprawl just to save a few bucks. YMMV.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:24 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,494,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
While home shopping, we had chanted the mantra, "Don't buy in a flood zone....don't buy in a flood zone....don't buy in a flood zone." Well, we did. And we don't regret it for a minute. Insurance rates vary dependent on a number of factors, so don't rule out any houses simply on that criteria. Find out the actual premium, and go from there. I'm not gonna live inland in some gawd-awful suburban sprawl just to save a few bucks. YMMV.
My thoughts exactly Gulfporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay