U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 PM

821 posts, read 838,622 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a recommendation for senior communities as close to St Pete Beach as possible? Wondering whether buying a home/condo for my mom near where I'll be is a good idea or if she'd be happier in a building with mostly people her age. She's pretty social and likes to do crafts and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:25 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,585,583 times
We qualify as geezers and much prefer the company of other geezers. Senior housing tends to have senior friendly features that are lacking in all-age housing. This includes no stairs and social groups for senior tastes.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 AM

673 posts, read 904,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We qualify as geezers and much prefer the company of other geezers. Senior housing tends to have senior friendly features that are lacking in all-age housing. This includes no stairs and social groups for senior tastes.
We're also geezers and bought a home (no stairs) in an eclectic community on Tampa Bay. We did not want to be surrounded by people like ourselves.

To the OP, I have no experience with over 55 communities near St. Pete but:

SAINT PETERSBURG, FL All Active Retirement Communities and Homes

and:

Village Green 55+ Resort Community in Saint Petersburg, FL is in St. Pete

Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks; I appreciate both viewpoints. I guess I'll have a talk with her about it before I decide for her. :-) I'll check out the two links you sent.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 AM

673 posts, read 904,358 times
You're welcome and I hope you find a place where your Mom will be very happy.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,191,975 times
how close to st pete beach? There are a couple of really nice ones in Seminole/Largo, close to Indian Shores/Indian Rocks
Tamarac on the Gulf (out of flood zone / 3 mins to beach/ single family homes that have outdoor maintenance (ex roof) and yard work done for low monthly fee and huge clubhouse and activities. Or Lakeview of Largo South - go with south rather than Lakeview of Largo as they have w/d hookups and covered parking and I think reserves are better managed - this is close to new publix reopening in Sept/oct and lots of banks/doctors/beach is 3/4 mile away and also out of flood zone. LOLS has a gated access to the shopping centre and bus stops at Indian Rocks shopping center.

hope this helps, but there are also lots of other 55pls communities south of here, that are close to st pete beach too.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM

141 posts, read 151,785 times
Town Shores is a 55+ community. It is walking distance to the fun in the sun shopping and restaurants in Gulfport, FL. Only about 10 minutes (2 miles I think) from St. Pete Beach area.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanks; will check those options out too. I think Seminole/Largo is too far since I'll be on SPB and would like to be able to have her come over or go visit her and not have to drive more than 10 minutes.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM

232 posts, read 179,503 times
I'd like to put my 2 cents in for choosing a 55+ place for mom. My mom has lived in a 55+ mobile home park (in Dunedin) for 20 years. It has such a great sense of community. Younger seniors help and watch out for the older ones. There are activities to pick and choose from. And while I'm sure everyone here raised wonderful children, other people don't. It's safer and quieter to live in 55+. You can listen to the laughter of children (or their screaming) when you're at Publix or out for dinner.
Hope you all love your time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay