U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2015, 04:03 AM
 
434 posts, read 339,364 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Oh... haha... And my parents did 30 years ago, what you're considering doing today. Mom is from Dubois PA, stepdad is from Lancaster PA (so very similar geographies as you), and they moved to the Tampa area.

They looove it here and would die before they would go back. They 'made it' because they were both in the military and college educated cops, so they didn't have to mess with low paid labor jobs at any point when they came here. Just their Army reserve checks alone paid the rent on the apartment they got until they found a house to buy. They also came with two paid off cars, a lot of the furniture they needed for a house and over $25k in the bank. (and that was the 80s. We're probably talking like $50k today)

Me on the other hand, I was moved here when I was just 10, so I thought well enough of it until I hit my 20s and started having enough money to take several trips a year to other cities, and realized that for the kind of person I am, Florida is no good, and Tampa in certain ways is particularly a bad spot for me to be. (my professional skills are particularly underpaid here compared to other places, and my personal health situation doesn't jibe well at all with this climate and local built environment. Namely being forced to drive and not having efficient transit to access. Driving is typically physically painful for me. And stressful. Being able to sit, stand or even walk on transit is always an adored experience wherever I go.) I'm also the unusual sort of person who hates heat way more than the cold. I actually like it when it's moderately cold, as I sweat very easily. (Only reason I've been here so long is because of circumstances beyond my control.)

You better make sure you can handle the heat. Obviously I've got a bunch of family from PA who has come down here, and some were ok with it, but others were like me and couldn't stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Tampa
734 posts, read 610,398 times
Reputation: 748
You know, it's funny how so many people here complain about the lack of mass transit, which I agree is a problem. People in DC complain nonstop about having to ride mass transit, or worse, drive to a park and ride, fight over parking spaces, then walk to the train, to get on another train, to get off and walk several blocks to work. People just always find something to complain about, I guess.

You're the first person I've talked to who regards driving as "physically painful." I take pleasure in driving, so I guess I just can't empathize whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 AM
 
434 posts, read 339,364 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
You're the first person I've talked to who regards driving as "physically painful." I take pleasure in driving, so I guess I just can't empathize whatsoever.
And I don't really give a flying f*ck if you're sympathetic or not.

Tell you what, get in a head-on car wreck that's 100% the other guy's fault, and that comes within a sliver of breaking your neck and killing you, and leaves you with permanent injuries that have already required 3 years of being totally disabled when you in the prime of your 20s, and going through over 750 grueling physical therapy sessions, 3 surgeries, and the promise of more before you die.

And driving hurts because that's the exact position I was in when someone else decided they couldn't wait to turn left and plowed into me. So the position that I have to put my body in to sit in a car, puts pressure/strain on the exact position where my joints are ****ed up from getting impacted. And when your spine is f*cked up and messes up your arms, lifting your arms to operate a steering wheel varies between being highly uncomfortable and downright excruciating.

Maybe you won't much care for driving then either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Tampa
734 posts, read 610,398 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
And I don't really give a flying f*ck if you're sympathetic or not.

Tell you what, get in a head-on car wreck that's 100% the other guy's fault, and that comes within a sliver of breaking your neck and killing you, and leaves you with permanent injuries that have already required 3 years of being totally disabled when you in the prime of your 20s, and going through over 750 grueling physical therapy sessions, 3 surgeries, and the promise of more before you die.

And driving hurts because that's the exact position I was in when someone else decided they couldn't wait to turn left and plowed into me. So the position that I have to put my body in to sit in a car, puts pressure/strain on the exact position where my joints are ****ed up from getting impacted. And when your spine is f*cked up and messes up your arms, lifting your arms to operate a steering wheel varies between being highly uncomfortable and downright excruciating.

Maybe you won't much care for driving then either.
I would've felt bad if you hadn't decided to act like a jerk about it and fish for sympathy, as if any of us had insight as to your injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM
 
1,747 posts, read 1,266,539 times
Reputation: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
Oh... haha... And my parents did 30 years ago, what you're considering doing today. Mom is from Dubois PA, stepdad is from Lancaster PA (so very similar geographies as you), and they moved to the Tampa area.

They looove it here and would die before they would go back. They 'made it' because they were both in the military and college educated cops, so they didn't have to mess with low paid labor jobs at any point when they came here. Just their Army reserve checks alone paid the rent on the apartment they got until they found a house to buy. They also came with two paid off cars, a lot of the furniture they needed for a house and over $25k in the bank. (and that was the 80s. We're probably talking like $50k today)

Me on the other hand, I was moved here when I was just 10, so I thought well enough of it until I hit my 20s and started having enough money to take several trips a year to other cities, and realized that for the kind of person I am, Florida is no good, and Tampa in certain ways is particularly a bad spot for me to be. (my professional skills are particularly underpaid here compared to other places, and my personal health situation doesn't jibe well at all with this climate and local built environment. Namely being forced to drive and not having efficient transit to access. Driving is typically physically painful for me. And stressful. Being able to sit, stand or even walk on transit is always an adored experience wherever I go.) I'm also the unusual sort of person who hates heat way more than the cold. I actually like it when it's moderately cold, as I sweat very easily. (Only reason I've been here so long is because of circumstances beyond my control.)

You better make sure you can handle the heat.
Obviously I've got a bunch of family from PA who has come down here, and some were ok with it, but others were like me and couldn't stand it.
Are you overweight by any chance? Flew back from SeaTac on Friday and while we were getting off the plane, I overheard an overweight young woman, wearing a Seahawks jersey, say, "crap, this is disgusting", referring to the heat/humidity/wind blowing (it was 80F on Friday) in between the plane and the jet bridge. I thought it was funny. Felt warm and nice to me.

The weather up there in the PNW felt miserable to me, low 20's for a couple days, so everyone is different. But why put down a place if your body can't take the weather? Btw, driving in Tampa is mostly a breeze compared to some other cities (try bumper to bumper driving for 2 hrs, only to cover 30 miles, see if you like it; happened to me up there).

Last edited by Trigger-f; 01-05-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
 
434 posts, read 339,364 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Are you overweight by any chance? Flew back from SeaTac on Friday and while we were getting off the plane, I overheard an overweight young woman, wearing a Seahawks jersey, say, "crap, this is disgusting", referring to the heat/humidity/wind blowing (it was 80F on Friday) in between the plane and the jet bridge. I thought it was funny. Felt warm and nice to me.
I'm 6'4" 220. But it's the same thing whether I'm 205 or 255. My dad is the same way, and so is his twin brother. I figure it's something in my ancestry or something. (all northern European)

That chick just sounds like she's not used to any kind of heat. 80 is great weather. Or maybe she didn't shower that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 01:54 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,227,566 times
Reputation: 2104
Im almost 6 foot and I weigh 255 thanks to quitting smoking. Im from Detroit I worked in temperatures as cold as -30 wind chill in the winter and in summer heat 90 degrees with 80% humidity thanks to the great lakes. And were I worked at for 30 years in a warehouse the temp inside was over a 100 degrees sometimes in the summer time. And freezing in the winter when we were unloading trucks. So I know both hot and cold weather So the weather in any state is no problem for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 PM
 
42 posts, read 57,562 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
And I don't really give a flying f*ck if you're sympathetic or not.

Tell you what, get in a head-on car wreck that's 100% the other guy's fault, and that comes within a sliver of breaking your neck and killing you, and leaves you with permanent injuries that have already required 3 years of being totally disabled when you in the prime of your 20s, and going through over 750 grueling physical therapy sessions, 3 surgeries, and the promise of more before you die.

And driving hurts because that's the exact position I was in when someone else decided they couldn't wait to turn left and plowed into me. So the position that I have to put my body in to sit in a car, puts pressure/strain on the exact position where my joints are ****ed up from getting impacted. And when your spine is f*cked up and messes up your arms, lifting your arms to operate a steering wheel varies between being highly uncomfortable and downright excruciating.

Maybe you won't much care for driving then either.
As you age, you'll meet families who lose children to cancer - nothing you'll ever see will ever compare. You'll know kids who lose a parent to a sudden death, left with a life of vacancy and uncertainty.

Horrible, horrible stories that will crush your soul and present you with difficult questions to answer.

When you experience those moments, feel that humility, and embrace it. I'm sorry to hear of your experience, and your subsequent anger. There are outlets for it. But this forum is certainly not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top