U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:20 AM

24,678 posts, read 20,850,323 times

Advertisements

Tampa Ranked No. 3 Best City for Employment in the Nation
Jul 01, 2014

Job seekers in Tampa are in luck. The City of Tampa’s economy is almost back to its pre-recession size!

Currently, the city’s workforce is the 8th best paid in the nation, making Tampa the third best city to find a job.

WalletHub ranked 60 of the nation’s largest cities in order based on 13 different metrics, including job openings per capita, industry variety, cost of living and employer-provided health benefits. This list categorized the cities based on the strength of the job market, and the greatest prospects for long-term financial security.

Only two other Florida cities made the Top 60; Miami at No. 30 and Jacksonville at No. 35. Fort Worth, TX and Washington, D.C. were the two cities that stood in the way of Tampa taking the No. 1 spot.

Tampa Ranked No. 3 Best City for Employment in the Nation | Tampa Bay Partnership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:36 AM

30,519 posts, read 34,392,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsicle528 View Post
My boyfriend is in construction, landscaping, asphalting, handyman kind of work with experience in pool maintenance and I am currently a front desk manager at a wellness center but can fit to be a receptionist in any job field. We are looking to set up interviews about 2-4 weeks before we move down but wasn't sure if employers would want you to move down first and than hire you or if they would hire you and than you could move down. I've never lived down south only in Maryland and PA but have never had to look for work before I move and was just wondering if that would be physically impossible to find something and than move or if we would somehow have to find a way to move down and than look for work.
As a general worker your hubby sounds like the type that would make a good truck driver. plenty of jobs available in the area.Could be a foot in the door in your relocation..
https://www.google.ca/#q=truck+drivi...ea&safe=active

As for a front desk manager? with all the hotels and tourist attractions in the area i doubt you'll have trouble finding employment .
https://www.google.ca/#q=front+desk+...ea&safe=active

However these arent generally jobs that would be easy to secure from afar as they arent highly specialized positions.
You could try just one of you moving down to start, get a job,get an apartment then once secure the other partner moves down..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM

790 posts, read 848,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp91787 View Post
You sound like a bitter man. It's a risk to make a better life for me and my family. You are just very negative. I don't see it as paradise I see it as a place where I can take what I do for a living and succeed. Sorry it bothers you that your little paradise is getting taking over by more people and growing n growing
Why because Im not telling you everything you want to hear like the rest of these people?

Just seems that people like you move here then if its not for you could care less if you trash the place or make it better for those of us that live here. The transient population is why Florida cant get any type of foothold in industry, education, etc... because its not peoples "home". I know some idiot northerners that moved here 30 years ago and still call up north "home", is FL not their home now?: So whats it to you if you make it here or not, if not you just pack your crap and move back. Im just stating things from my point of view sorry its not everything you want to hear, but bitter? LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM

28 posts, read 24,070 times
Idiot Northerners?? Where exactly do you think this community would be if it wasn't for us idiot northerners? We made the decision to move down here in our forties instead of waiting for retirement. Yes, snow was a factor, but guess what Einstein, I'm a nurse and my husband is a business owner expanding his business to the Tampa area. Those are both good things for the economy and surrounding area. We are making Tampa our home, raising our children here and investing our time and resources here for a bright future. Up north will always be my hometown though and when I go back to visit I will be going "home". There is a difference.

No one should take uprooting your life and moving a thousand miles away lightly. Research (which is why people come to this sight) and plan. Will it be difficult to find a job before you actually move, probably. Consider having one person move and find a job while the other stays back and works for a few months if possible.

Finally, we have been in town for three weeks and I have met a lot of people. So far I have only met one person who was actually born and raised in Florida and she was a young 20 something. Seems to me a lot of people have successfully made the move.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,306,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdalechek View Post
Idiot Northerners?? Where exactly do you think this community would be if it wasn't for us idiot northerners? We made the decision to move down here in our forties instead of waiting for retirement. Yes, snow was a factor, but guess what Einstein, I'm a nurse and my husband is a business owner expanding his business to the Tampa area. Those are both good things for the economy and surrounding area. We are making Tampa our home, raising our children here and investing our time and resources here for a bright future. Up north will always be my hometown though and when I go back to visit I will be going "home". There is a difference.

No one should take uprooting your life and moving a thousand miles away lightly. Research (which is why people come to this sight) and plan. Will it be difficult to find a job before you actually move, probably. Consider having one person move and find a job while the other stays back and works for a few months if possible.

Finally, we have been in town for three weeks and I have met a lot of people. So far I have only met one person who was actually born and raised in Florida and she was a young 20 something. Seems to me a lot of people have successfully made the move.
Great post. One thing for EVERYONE to remember is that we are ALL here, save for maybe some native Americans, because of the fact that either we or relatives of ours moved here. Even if you were born here, it was because your parents or grandparents or great grandparents moved here. We are all essentially from somewhere else.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM

4,589 posts, read 3,946,232 times
Full of yourself much?
Quote:
Idiot Northerners?? Where exactly do you think this community would be if it wasn't for us idiot northerners?

Let's remember that "originally" Florida was a playground for the rich "northerners" who only came here to VACATION!

In the mean time others crowded the state with their laziness towards snow, and most of them can't even hold the door for someone else! They all come down here with that rotten entitlement attitude we're very tired of! Reflected so clearly and dearly in your post!

Explain to me how are those "good things" for the economy where your business is ONLY here to pay minimum, or very low wages (in the name of everyone wants to live in Florida regardless of how little money they're making so long as they don't have to shovel show), and continue to keep people's buying power very LOW? How are YOU helping the economy down here exactly? What business are you bringing exactly? anything worth going to work for? or yet another business where people have to live half on welfare to afford going to?

Quote:
We made the decision to move down here in our forties instead of waiting for retirement. Yes, snow was a factor, but guess what Einstein, I'm a nurse and my husband is a business owner expanding his business to the Tampa area. Those are both good things for the economy and surrounding area. We are making Tampa our home, raising our children here and investing our time and resources here for a bright future. Up north will always be my hometown though and when I go back to visit I will be going "home". There is a difference.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM

4,589 posts, read 3,946,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Great post. One thing for EVERYONE to remember is that we are ALL here, save for maybe some native Americans, because of the fact that either we or relatives of ours moved here. Even if you were born here, it was because your parents or grandparents or great grandparents moved here. We are all essentially from somewhere else.
"Being" from somewhere else, and continuing to "act" like you're from somewhere else are two different thing. Yes, almost everyone is from somewhere else, but that is NOT an excuse to continue this entitlement epidemic. You're not entitled to be here...just like NY-ers are not entitled to be in NY...people don't get to choose "where" they will be born, but they do have the choice of making the place they live better! & that unfortunately for some of you, starts with YOUR attitude!

Most who move here, continue to extort a poor state, and are not coming to elevate the overall state of this state! Pay better wages, so their work force can support other businesses and actually HELP the economy etc. They all want their little 1/4 of acre lot, and "privacy"... and none of them give a ratz a$$ about the state as a whole.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Full of yourself much?

Let's remember that "originally" Florida was a playground for the rich "northerners" who only came here to VACATION!

In the mean time others crowded the state with their laziness towards snow, and most of them can't even hold the door for someone else! They all come down here with that rotten entitlement attitude we're very tired of! Reflected so clearly and dearly in your post!

Explain to me how are those "good things" for the economy where your business is ONLY here to pay minimum, or very low wages (in the name of everyone wants to live in Florida regardless of how little money they're making so long as they don't have to shovel show), and continue to keep people's buying power very LOW? How are YOU helping the economy down here exactly? What business are you bringing exactly? anything worth going to work for? or yet another business where people have to live half on welfare to afford going to?
Now here you go again, posting false negative information based on what you think rather than what you know. Posts like that serve no good purpose for anyone.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,226,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As a general worker your hubby sounds like the type that would make a good truck driver. plenty of jobs available in the area.Could be a foot in the door in your relocation..
https://www.google.ca/#q=truck+drivi...ea&safe=active

As for a front desk manager? with all the hotels and tourist attractions in the area i doubt you'll have trouble finding employment .
https://www.google.ca/#q=front+desk+...ea&safe=active

However these arent generally jobs that would be easy to secure from afar as they arent highly specialized positions.
You could try just one of you moving down to start, get a job,get an apartment then once secure the other partner moves down..

What type of truck driver are you talking about? If it's a semi driver dose he have his cdl, a Hazmat endorsement, air brakes endorsement. The only jobs for truck drivers here are OTR were you get paid by the mile. My daughter did that and she made no money. She was on the road 3 weeks at a time. When the truck broke down you made no money and had to pay for your own room and board while the truck was being fixed. You had to get fuel at certain truck stops. Your pay was never right always short. If you get a job driving a delivery truck here $10 a hour if your lucky. They make deviling a truck like you're going to get rich. There is a joke out there what do you call 100 JB Hunt drivers in a room one year seniority. The driver turnover is high in the trucking industry unless you can get a job driving local and paid by the hour. My daughter is now driving a semi in Michigan a union job making $200 a day and home every night . She has been a semi driver for over 15 yrs.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"Being" from somewhere else, and continuing to "act" like you're from somewhere else are two different thing. Yes, almost everyone is from somewhere else, but that is NOT an excuse to continue this entitlement epidemic. You're not entitled to be here...just like NY-ers are not entitled to be in NY...people don't get to choose "where" they will be born, but they do have the choice of making the place they live better! & that unfortunately for some of you, starts with YOUR attitude!

Most who move here, continue to extort a poor state, and are not coming to elevate the overall state of this state! Pay better wages, so their work force can support other businesses and actually HELP the economy etc. They all want their little 1/4 of acre lot, and "privacy"... and none of them give a ratz a$$ about the state as a whole.
I AM entitled to live here or anywhere in the country I so choose. THAT is part of the AMERICAN dream. Maybe you don"t understand the AMERICAN dream.

And I LOVE when people bring their ways from other parts of the country and world. It's called diversity and I love that for the food aspect. Others love that for other reasons.

Maybe you need to learn acceptance and to be more open minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay