U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,412,385 times
Reputation: 5981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The 10 Best Cities to Find Jobs - US News

The Best Cities For Jobs 2014 - Forbes

Top Cities To Find A Job

No mention of Tampa in these lists. I guess it's all in the interpretation.


I think what counts is today's numbers because there are large shifts in the availability of jobs and the number of people looking for a job at any given time.

It is the unemployment rate vs. the number of available jobs that should count.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,312,837 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This article may shed some light on why it is and will be harder to find a job in NYC


http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

Also, Chicago has a 8.4 unemployment rate as of April.
Interesting. I guess the people who bash us about the service industry and now bash them....LOL!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,253 posts, read 2,571,341 times
Reputation: 2130
Florida and Tampa are heavily tilted towards the service sector, which historically, no matter where you are, pays lower than skilled trades. As for "industrial" types of work, there are few, as there is very little industry in Florida as a whole compared to say, the Rust Belt states.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Florida is around 38th in household income. That's not so great.

I just recently worked on a relocation for an employee from an Upper Midwestern state. We use Runzheimer International, the leading firm in employee mobility services, to determine the change in the employee's compensation. Runzheimer is considered the most accurate and pretty much the gold standard when it comes to calculating relocation figures.

While we would never reduce an employee's compensation if they move to an area with a lower range of salaries, we do pay very close attention to the differences and charge the receiving department with the difference in cost.

In this case, the difference in salary from where they were (Upper Midwest) to the Tampa area resulted in an 18% decrease in salary.

That means if you made $100k in the Upper Midwest, you would only expect to make $82k in Tampa.

We pay big bucks for Runzheimer services, because the are, without exception, the best and most accurate of the relocation service providers. And they have current data to back up their claims, which comes with the report.

I think that pretty much says it all. In a skilled discipline, Tampa, and Florida for the most part, ranks lower than most of the country. That's not based on some made up number or survey.

As for those who point this fact out on the list, and I'm one of them, it's exactly that - a fact. For most disciplines, unless it's one that's in very high demand, people coming into the state can pretty much expect a lower salary. And the cost of living doesn't offset it.

As for hourly workers, Florida will always be the pits because there will always be people streaming into the state to take advantage of the climate. These "imports", if you will, are often far less discerning about what they do and how much they make. And since there's a ready pool of labor out there, employers have no incentive to pay decent wages for such jobs.

It's pure and simple economics.

I am very positive about living in Florida and like it here. I think it's a great place. That being said, I'm not going to paint a pretty picture for people looking to come here. It's unethical and disingenuous.

RM
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,312,837 times
Reputation: 4887
Our son got a 25% increase in pay moving here from Raleigh, NC and my wife kept the same pay, but since got a promotion and more money. Then there is the huge savings with no state income tax, which for us and him dwarfs a few items which were higher cost.

That does not mean that happens to everyone, but it is a case in point that what the debbie downers claim is not always the case......never mind even accurate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,253 posts, read 2,571,341 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Our son got a 25% increase in pay moving here from Raleigh, NC and my wife kept the same pay, but since got a promotion and more money. Then there is the huge savings with no state income tax, which for us and him dwarfs a few items which were higher cost.
5%-7% is not a "huge" savings, especially when you factor the significantly higher costs for home and auto insurance, for example.

I looked at the Runzheimer report for this employee, and the difference in cost of living was 11% higher than where they are currently located compared to Tampa. This is based on data collected in the last 90 days.

People may very well relocate here and earn more. Most of the discussions revolve around people working in the service sector, who still deal with the same disparities in costs with far less income. Double or triple the cost for an expense that you can't avoid, such as auto insurance, and you're talking about the difference between living and surviving. Sadly, what many of these marginalized workers do is forgo paying for something like insurance and end up driving up the costs for those who do pay.

Go ahead and paint your pretty pictures. The facts and figures state otherwise, and for those who don't plan and exercise their due diligence before coming here, they'll find out quickly enough. And then they will be sucking up your tax dollars using social services.

I have no problem with those who want to come here, in fact, I welcome them. That is, if they're willing to become active, contributing members of the community. Those who come here with the hope of finding a job and end up working the drive up window at Rally's at 3:00 am making minimum wage are disenfranchised and rarely end up being contributing members of the community. If they are able to, then more power to them.

RM
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
 
2,598 posts, read 3,821,311 times
Reputation: 2103
I second MortonR's assessment on COL here compared to most places.

All people that were hired in my company within the last year or so (middle to upper management levels) took the same or mostly less salary than what they were making up north. Most are from places that MortonR referring to.

One common theme on all these people is that they are past their mid career and didn't care too much on getting the top dollar probably they could command as they apparently made some serious money already or so it appears. This makes it extremely difficult for others who are local and want to compete--somebody with more experience and education is willing to take lesser money. I can't really blame the company as they are looking the best employee money can buy--and they have lots of options. This is the curse of the paradise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,228,735 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Our son got a 25% increase in pay moving here from Raleigh, NC and my wife kept the same pay, but since got a promotion and more money. Then there is the huge savings with no state income tax, which for us and him dwarfs a few items which were higher cost.

That does not mean that happens to everyone, but it is a case in point that what the debbie downers claim is not always the case......never mind even accurate.
North Carolina is still the south not the north.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,312,837 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
5%-7% is not a "huge" savings, especially when you factor the significantly higher costs for home and auto insurance, for example.

I looked at the Runzheimer report for this employee, and the difference in cost of living was 11% higher than where they are currently located compared to Tampa. This is based on data collected in the last 90 days.

People may very well relocate here and earn more. Most of the discussions revolve around people working in the service sector, who still deal with the same disparities in costs with far less income. Double or triple the cost for an expense that you can't avoid, such as auto insurance, and you're talking about the difference between living and surviving. Sadly, what many of these marginalized workers do is forgo paying for something like insurance and end up driving up the costs for those who do pay.

Go ahead and paint your pretty pictures. The facts and figures state otherwise, and for those who don't plan and exercise their due diligence before coming here, they'll find out quickly enough. And then they will be sucking up your tax dollars using social services.

I have no problem with those who want to come here, in fact, I welcome them. That is, if they're willing to become active, contributing members of the community. Those who come here with the hope of finding a job and end up working the drive up window at Rally's at 3:00 am making minimum wage are disenfranchised and rarely end up being contributing members of the community. If they are able to, then more power to them.

RM
7% = $7,000. Our house cost exactly, to the dollar, the same. The total of all other "higher" costs combined comes to well and I mean well under $7,000 for us.

I agree with you about doing your due diligence though. There are no guarantees and people need to plan accordingly. With that said, follow your heart after everything has been figured and planned out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,312,837 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
North Carolina is still the south not the north.
It happened to be in an area highly rated for jobs and living. As a matter of fact, our incomes went up going from MA to NC. Actually, the further south we have gone....the better we all have done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,228,735 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
It happened to be in an area highly rated for jobs and living. As a matter of fact, our incomes went up going from MA to NC. Actually, the further south we have gone....the better we all have done.
My x checked into a housekeeper job at a hospital in Clearwater ,she has 10 yrs experience working at a hospital in Detroit. The pay down here was a joke $8 plus you pay most of your medical. She was making $13 a hour in Detroit plus free medical.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top