U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,368 posts, read 2,638,889 times

Advertisements

Anyone who lives or Knows Polk county?

I might be taking a job in Lakeland, and have heard bad things about Polk.

But I am willing to give it a chance if i hear from locals.

I hear about drugs, and generally bad things about the county.

What about Lakeland, Winterhaven? Auburndale? Other towns?

Looking for SAFE, Nice neighborhoods where crime is of little issue.

Any Walkable areas?

If anyone can give me a feel of each of the small towns and what they are like that would be great.

I am considering Living in South Orlando or East Tampa, to be closer to the bigger cities and their amenities as well..

Looks like commute from Orlando or Tampa is only 30 minutes so it seems doable..

Where would you want to live if you were renting an apartment, and working in Downtown Lakeland?

Thanks!

Is traffic really bad commuting to and from Lakeland on I-4?

Maybe I should just Choose a nice suburb or neighborhood of Lakeland or Winter Haven and save my time and money on the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 AM

147 posts, read 139,894 times
Hello, I'm your girl! I've lived here most all my life. If you were to commute to Lakeland, you would be going opposite the traffic flow so you'd probably be fine. I prefer Lakeland to Winter Haven just because of the proximity to I-4. Like all towns, you have the good and bad but all in all, I feel very safe here and have personally never been a victim of any kind of crime, well...my car was burglarized once because I was dumb enough to leave the doors unlocked. We do have a bit of an overzealous sheriff so I think Polk appears to have more crime.

There are some apartments near downtown, such as Lake Mirror Tower. If you are looking to stay close to I-4 and go downtown each day, you might want to consider an apartment complex called The Landings at Long Lake. It is only a few minutes from I-4 and about a 15 minute drive to downtown. It's an area that is being more readily developed right now and is located adjacent to Bridgewater. These are both near the near Polytechnic University that is opening this year.

There are also many rental homes in the area. It just depends on what you are looking for. I personally would rather live here if I worked here and travel to Tampa or Orlando on weekends and such as I wanted to.

Here's a few links that might help you, if I can help in any way, please let me know.

Living in Lakeland | Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce | Lakeland, FL
The Landings at Long Lake Apartments - Lakeland, FL 33805 | Apartments for Rent
Lake Mirror Tower
Downtown Lakeland Partnership -

Good luck!
Tonya Lockamy

Old 07-04-2014, 05:26 PM

85 posts, read 92,012 times
I was born and raise in Polk. Besides all its bad press, Polk County has a very nice old Florida charm in some places. Lakeland has a real sense of place in the areas in and around downtown. The residential neighborhoods around Lake Morton and Hollingsworth are very nice, southern and "normal". They have a lot of homes from the 1920 with a lot of old world charm. This area is very walkable that are a lot of local restaurants and pubs downtown. There are a lot of inexpensive vintage apartments tucked back in the neighborhoods south of downtown.

Lakeland is the more enlightened than other parts of Polk County. Lakeland is situated between Tampa and Orlando making it accessible to a quick escape to the "city".

Winter Haven and Auburndale have very cute downtowns and walkable neighborhoods surrounding. However, I find these towns a little isolated and off the beaten path (kind of cut off from interstate access).

Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM

168 posts, read 215,545 times
Downtown-----South.

Lakeland Highlands area. VERY easy to get to Tampa or Orlando via Polk Pkwy.

I loved living in the area. Around George Jenkins HS.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM

219 posts, read 237,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Anyone who lives or Knows Polk county?

I might be taking a job in Lakeland, and have heard bad things about Polk.

But I am willing to give it a chance if i hear from locals.

I hear about drugs, and generally bad things about the county.

What about Lakeland, Winterhaven? Auburndale? Other towns?

Looking for SAFE, Nice neighborhoods where crime is of little issue.

Any Walkable areas?

If anyone can give me a feel of each of the small towns and what they are like that would be great.

I am considering Living in South Orlando or East Tampa, to be closer to the bigger cities and their amenities as well..

Looks like commute from Orlando or Tampa is only 30 minutes so it seems doable..

Where would you want to live if you were renting an apartment, and working in Downtown Lakeland?

Thanks!

Is traffic really bad commuting to and from Lakeland on I-4?

Maybe I should just Choose a nice suburb or neighborhood of Lakeland or Winter Haven and save my time and money on the commute.
The commute on I-4 is undesirable. I have done it, my father currently does it..and yes, it COULD be a
30 minute commute, but the reality is that it is rarely less than an hour, and can be upwards of 2 hours. Winter Haven is a great town, and the downtown is being revitalized. The presence of Legoland and the business it brings to the area, has increased the growth and revitalization.

Like Lakeland there are some beautiful older homes, some in lake communities, some close to downtown, etc. You have good options in both places.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM

18,586 posts, read 9,227,972 times
you have kids? the schools in Polk needs help- I think Polk being sooo large and rural it doesn't have enough funding. Polk cty reaches to Davenport which is actually 15 min from Disney. Lakeland has is spots just like any other town. but I-4 needs rail... its wall to wall because it connects 95 to 75 through vacation city- Orlando

Old 07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,368 posts, read 2,638,889 times
No kids.

Just looking for a nice place to live.

I dont really like gated communities.

I do enjoy a nice neighborhood, and decent restaurants and places to shop just like the other guy.

One of the main reasons I was considering living closer to Tampa in Brandon is because I like being near the water, and the bridges and beaches.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

147 posts, read 139,894 times
If water is your thing, then Apollo Beach, Riverview and that general area might be right up your alley. Commuting from Brandon area to Lakeland means you'd like take Hwy 60 which can be a bear at peak times.

Another consideration is near one of the many lakes in Lakeland or Winter Haven. There are some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods near the many lakes in Polk.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 PM

219 posts, read 237,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSellingFLHomes View Post
If water is your thing, then Apollo Beach, Riverview and that general area might be right up your alley. Commuting from Brandon area to Lakeland means you'd like take Hwy 60 which can be a bear at peak times. Spot on!

Another consideration is near one of the many lakes in Lakeland or Winter Haven. There are some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods near the many lakes in Polk.
Ditto! My grandparents live on Lake Cannon, and now that the canals were dredged, we are back to easy boat access to the other 8 lakes. There are many beautiful older Southern Florida style homes on the Chain of Lakes. A lot of character and charm...plus prices are still good!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 AM

85 posts, read 92,012 times
Polk County has some really beautiful natural and recreational areas. The Lakeland Highlands have topography (hills in Florida!!).
Hey TD where did you end up finding a place? What areas did u like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay