U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 AM

147 posts, read 141,854 times

Advertisements

I'd much rather drive in Tampa than Orlando. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 01:29 AM

175 posts, read 317,784 times
Default Worse drivers?!

Yes there are worse drivers.....San Antonio, Tx!
With many of the drivers being illegal mexicans without knowledge of legal rules, and don't give a D, this is far worse than Tampa-I used to drive in Tampa traffic...
I am moving back to Ocala area soon-I am looking forward to the improvement!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM

4,317 posts, read 2,805,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSellingFLHomes View Post
I'd much rather drive in Tampa than Orlando. :/
Amen to that but being that I don't commute in Orlando or atl or L.A., it's really irrelevant I guarantee you next time I am stuck on the Howard franklan I am not going to be thinking about someone sitting in worse terrific in OBT. I thought the article was interesting I don't know that it was an article but just stats. I commuted in NYC, Austin, and Miami. I don't think i seen as many accidents as I seen in Tampa or extreme rubber necking, instances where traffic just picks up like all of the sudden a couple of people decided to drive and that cleared the problem.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:19 AM

464 posts, read 453,745 times
DC area has the most aggressive drivers, IMO.

Here, the smaller the 'burg, the easier going the drivers....Gulfport is laid-back, often there are more people on bicycles and on foot than inside cars. St. Pete, usually smooth and easy; though you can get a grandpa in front of you going 15 mph for blocks and blocks with an meaningless turn signal on the entire way.

But once we cross the bridge into Tampa....whoa! Guess that's true in all big cities....people are going to work, late for work, coming home from work, late to pick the kids up at daycare; that commute daily doesn't make them happy drivers.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 AM

790 posts, read 862,333 times
lol butthurt northerners ITT

Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM

25 posts, read 34,855 times
The amount of traffic isn't the issue with Tampa (or Florida for that matter), it's the basic lack of fundamental driving skill that is the issue. The area is full of dumb drivers, who lack basic understanding of how to drive safely, coupled with younger drivers who try to drive faster than conditions permit. Tailgating, left lane bandits, no look merging and turning, pretend race car drivers all add up. It is very rare not to see some sort of accident on the 275, I4, MLK, I75 on the daily round commute.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,064,209 times
I think driving is much worse in DC, Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, and LA, but I do find driving here to be less than enjoyable. I believe the terrible driving in the Tampa Bay area is due to four main categories of drivers:

1. tourists who don't know where they are going and are trying to figure it out as they drive

2. people who don't speak or read English and are confused about our signage

3. older people who are a bit fearful, so they stick to one lane, drive too slowly, and get disoriented

4. the speed demons who weave in and out trying to gain some advantage and have no regard for others

When taken together these groups of people create a perfect storm of driving dysfunction.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 AM

3,820 posts, read 3,760,323 times
Dallas/Ft Worth has horrible traffic, due to over 7M population and people pouring in for work. So they are rebuilding much of the freeways and adding toll lanes. Half are private investments with 'variable pricing'. Good thing is that private funds are involved. Bad thing is that the govt is guaranteeing the investment.

Honestly, 75 is a real PITA, saw more accidents on one day, came on one that had just happened, people running to check on the people in the car. Just too narrow for the amount of traffic.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:04 AM

4,129 posts, read 5,097,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I think driving is much worse in DC, Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, and LA, but I do find driving here to be less than enjoyable. I believe the terrible driving in the Tampa Bay area is due to four main categories of drivers:

1. tourists who don't know where they are going and are trying to figure it out as they drive

2. people who don't speak or read English and are confused about our signage

3. older people who are a bit fearful, so they stick to one lane, drive too slowly, and get disoriented

4. the speed demons who weave in and out trying to gain some advantage and have no regard for others

When taken together these groups of people create a perfect storm of driving dysfunction.
I agree with your list , but I think in many cases #4 might be a reaction from the other three. It's not that the traffic in Tampa Bay is terrible per se - it's just so darn frustrating.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 07-04-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 PM

85 posts, read 93,008 times
Tampa's built environment has made it impossible to be a pedestrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay