U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM

83 posts, read 63,413 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My wife, 5 month old and I are looking to move to the Tampa area. I'm looking to spend up to $450k on a single family home. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must haves:

(very) Low crime
Good schools
Less than 35mins to the airport
Less that 40mins to a good beach
4+ bedrooms
3+ bathrooms
2700+ sqft
.25+ acre

Now, I'm not looking for someone to say "oh, here's a list of 4 homes that meet your criteria". The reason I specified the bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, and lot size is to give an idea of what I'd like to get for my budget. What I am hoping for is some neighborhoods and areas I should be looking at.

My wife is looking at Tarpon Springs, and Westchase (Radcliffe, and Waterchase mostly) but I'd love more suggestions. Currently my wife and I live in the Windermere area of Cumming, GA for anyone who knows the area. We like Windermere fine, although it's a bit too far from the airport!

The other thing we're trying to get a handle on is expenses beyond the mortgage. My understanding is that I need to consider things like flood insurance, sinkhole insurance, and CDD. Are there other things that I would be new / different to a Georgian that I should be thinking about?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM

673 posts, read 904,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
Hello all!

My wife, 5 month old and I are looking to move to the Tampa area. I'm looking to spend up to $450k on a single family home. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must haves:

(very) Low crime
Good schools
Less than 35mins to the airport
Less that 40mins to a good beach
4+ bedrooms
3+ bathrooms
2700+ sqft
.25+ acre

Now, I'm not looking for someone to say "oh, here's a list of 4 homes that meet your criteria". The reason I specified the bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, and lot size is to give an idea of what I'd like to get for my budget. What I am hoping for is some neighborhoods and areas I should be looking at.

My wife is looking at Tarpon Springs, and Westchase (Radcliffe, and Waterchase mostly) but I'd love more suggestions. Currently my wife and I live in the Windermere area of Cumming, GA for anyone who knows the area. We like Windermere fine, although it's a bit too far from the airport!

The other thing we're trying to get a handle on is expenses beyond the mortgage. My understanding is that I need to consider things like flood insurance, sinkhole insurance, and CDD. Are there other things that I would be new / different to a Georgian that I should be thinking about?

Thanks all!
We moved late last year from Powder Springs to Apollo Beach. I do not know anything about these communities but, given that you do have some specific questions, why not contact the HOA for each community to ask about CDD and HOA fees (which can be significant).

Another suggestion would be to contact a professional realtor who has access to almost all the information you might need.

When we were looking, I knew I wanted to be not more that 25 miles from Tampa so I drew a circle with a radius of 25 miles and chose communities within my circle. We ended up choosing Apollo Beach and a community on the bay.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM

147 posts, read 139,593 times
Given the airport and beach requirement, I would say you should research Westchase or Carollwood and maybe even Davis Island if you don't mind older homes. I certainly think your wife is on target with Westchase though. I had a friend who lived there and really loved it.

Fishhawk Ranch is a beautiful area but a little further from the airport about 40 minutes via toll road. Fishhawk has miles of walking & biking trails, 3 community pools, Dog Park, tennis courts & clubhouse and tons of community activities. http://www.fishhawkranch.com/

As far as expenses, you are only required to get flood insurance if you are in a flood zone. You can add sinkhole coverage to your regular homeowners policy and it will likely be based on your zip code risk rate for sinkholes. You could certainly call an insurance agent in the area and give them an address you are considering. I'm sure they'd happily give you a quote. I know FishHawk is surprisingly low in comparison to other similar communities.

HOA fees vary greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood and partly depends on amenities (i.e. if they include lawn care of have a community pool, your rates would be higher). Your Realtor can give you HOA information when showing you homes.

Last edited by LakelandFLNative; 07-05-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay