U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 AM

464 posts, read 446,598 times

Advertisements

Do they harvest and sell natural sponges from the docks? I am always on the look-out for local gifts and wares. Prices??
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,325,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
Do they harvest and sell natural sponges from the docks? I am always on the look-out for local gifts and wares. Prices??
Yes and expensive.

It is a very cool place with original style shops and restaurants. Great fish market past the roundabout.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 AM

8,100 posts, read 6,137,453 times
Quote:
They get the sponges in 40 to 100ft northwest of Tarpon springs. Can't tell ya how many times i have snagged the darn things fishing for grouper.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,785,689 times
Was at Hellas on Monday night...food was good the kids loved the mousse mouse pastry...did the shops until a big storm blew through...I don't feel it's sanitized...unless your referring to the drugs that rumor had it used to run through a former big restaurant there??

Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 PM

2,355 posts, read 4,055,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Was at Hellas on Monday night...food was good the kids loved the mousse mouse pastry...did the shops until a big storm blew through...I don't feel it's sanitized...unless your referring to the drugs that rumor had it used to run through a former big restaurant there??
That area is a whole lot different than it was just 10 years ago. They dumped a awful lot of money just cleaning up the area around the docks.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 PM

153 posts, read 141,144 times
I remember reading an article recently about the Sponge Docks and public opposition on changing it from the status quo.

Tarpon Springs scraps Sponge Docks plan | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

I have to agree with the idea of a modest boardwalk near the water and some shade, I can only shop the same tourist shops so much. We were pleasantly surprised with the annual Fine Arts Festival in April, the show was huge compared to the normal craft festival circuit here and the bayou area was nice.. I was ready for a swan boat to paddle by like we were in Boston.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
I remember reading an article recently about the Sponge Docks and public opposition on changing it from the status quo.

Tarpon Springs scraps Sponge Docks plan | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

I have to agree with the idea of a modest boardwalk near the water and some shade, I can only shop the same tourist shops so much. We were pleasantly surprised with the annual Fine Arts Festival in April, the show was huge compared to the normal craft festival circuit here and the bayou area was nice.. I was ready for a swan boat to paddle by like we were in Boston.
Great article. Thx. People love the sponge docks as they are and it shows. That is why it is always so busy. Other than maintaining sidewalks, lights and maybe adding more seating and some trees, there really is no reason to change a formula which has been and continues to be much loved.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 AM

464 posts, read 446,598 times
Glad they scaled back on this. Here in Gulfport there is always the fear that some misguided bureaucrat will dream up a similar grandiose plan and ruin our downtown. So far so good. Why don't these pols realize that the charm of places like Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport is BECAUSE they are old-style small Florida towns???

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Glad they scaled back on this. Here in Gulfport there is always the fear that some misguided bureaucrat will dream up a similar grandiose plan and ruin our downtown. So far so good. Why don't these pols realize that the charm of places like Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport is BECAUSE they are old-style small Florida towns???
Yep!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,300,786 times
Quote:
So true! I'm aghast at the massive condo complex planned for Downtown Safety Harbor. I have no idea how the plans actually made it past the city planners. It's too tall and will have too many units for the downtown area. I'm hoping it won't go through - it will really change the feel of the quaint downtown area if it does. I think the expensive price tag may keep it from moving forward. I mean, who's going to pay over a million for a penthouse condo and over 600K for a regular unit?! Safety Harbor is a fairly affluent area, but it's not THAT kind of affluent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay