U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 10,481 times

Advertisements

Hello! My boyfriend and I have decided that Tampa is the place that we are going to call home! We are extremely excited but a bit stressed at the same time. We will be relocating from Richmond, Virginia and it will just be us and our 2 year old son starting completely new and let me not forget to mention we are just 20 and 21. So, it's kind of a big deal haha. We are planning to move there within the next 6 months and wanted to see what were some nice, safe, family friendly areas to rent a house/townhome/apartment for of 1250/month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,741,014 times
If you want to be around more things like shopping and places to eat I would recommend the Carrollwood area. If you are looking for more peace and quiet, a bit of a drive to shopping, food, work, etc... then I would recommend Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes, and even New Tampa on the North and North East side of Tampa. St Pete, Largo also has some nice places but a completely different feel.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM

515 posts, read 1,036,468 times
Is there a specific reason that you chose Tampa? Do you have family down here or a job already lined up, or do you just think that you'll like the area?

I ask because there are a lot of threads on the forum (you can probably look and see several) from people who decided on a whim to move to Tampa without any real connections to the place, only to later find out that they hated it or couldn't find a decent job. Moving anyplace without a plan--especially being a young family--is not a good idea.

The areas gulper recommended are good options, as is Brandon and Carrollwood. Lots of it depends on where you want to be, which I assume will have something to do about where you will be working. There's no sense living in Land O Lakes if you're going to be working in Largo. The commute and gas costs will be unbearable.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM

493 posts, read 687,948 times
If you're going to be working in Pinellas (St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo, etc.) then I could suggest the Seminole area. It's where my girlfriend and I moved. Supposedly, it has some of the best schools in the area. You're 15 minutes from 3 different malls and movie theaters, < 10 minutes from the beach, and about 25 minutes from downtown St. Pete. There's a pretty good amount of restaurants in the area, though you probably won't be walking to any, as well as parks and some recreation centers.

As a previous poster mentioned, the location of your job will have a big impact on where you want to live. Traffic in Tampa Bay isn't too bad for a major city, but you don't want to be crossing a bridge over the bay during rush hour.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM

1,625 posts, read 2,132,518 times
Any idea where you will be working? Tampa Bay has many nice places spread out all over the region and your life would be less stressful if you could keep your commute manageable.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:45 PM

232 posts, read 184,401 times
Default month to month

As others have mentioned, there are lots of very nice areas in the Tampa Bay area, but your job will determine which of the nice areas is good for your family. Maybe you could find a month to month or short term lease in a centralized area, like Clearwater. Then after you find your job/jobs, move to a nice place closer to work. Tampa Bay has so much to offer. You don't want to spend all your time in traffic commuting.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,874,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Is there a specific reason that you chose Tampa? Do you have family down here or a job already lined up, or do you just think that you'll like the area?

I ask because there are a lot of threads on the forum (you can probably look and see several) from people who decided on a whim to move to Tampa without any real connections to the place, only to later find out that they hated it or couldn't find a decent job. Moving anyplace without a plan--especially being a young family--is not a good idea.

The areas gulper recommended are good options, as is Brandon and Carrollwood. Lots of it depends on where you want to be, which I assume will have something to do about where you will be working. There's no sense living in Land O Lakes if you're going to be working in Largo. The commute and gas costs will be unbearable.
Here is how the reasoning went or so it appears....

Check the affordability of places

Is Charlotte an affordable place to live?
Is myrtle beach an affordable place to live?
Is Tampa an affordable place to live?

Then flip a coin and pick Tampa.....

Quote:
My boyfriend and I have decided that Tampa is the place that we are going to call home!
And someone actually dared to ask if they have a job or family around and here is the answer....

Quote:
We will actually be relocating due to my boyfriends job and I actually am a "career woman" due to my amazing job that allows me to work at home.
So, they have this figured out. Just need some additional info

Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 10,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Here is how the reasoning went or so it appears....

Check the affordability of places

Is Charlotte an affordable place to live?
Is myrtle beach an affordable place to live?
Is Tampa an affordable place to live?

Then flip a coin and pick Tampa.....

And someone actually dared to ask if they have a job or family around and here is the answer....

So, they have this figured out. Just need some additional info
Oh trust me, so much more went into the decision we made

Old 09-28-2014, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 3,859 times
My boyfriend and I moved to Pinellas in July from RVA! We love it here in Clearwater and I am so happy with where we ended up. We searched all over Pinellas and Hillsborough for the perfect spot. We are renting so I'm sure this won't be where we stay forever but coming from Virginia I really wanted to be close to the beach and also close to our jobs of course. We also live very close to tons of restaurants and shopping. Check out Dunedin and Largo as well. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay