U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM
 
12 posts, read 7,893 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I printed the pictures at cvs and the date is stamped on the front of the date pic was. And the date is printed on the back of when I printed them at cvs. I also emailed the pics to the property manager and I also have a copy of that. So yes the pics are legit! I DO NOT destroy other people's property nor do I then try to lie about it. I will be going to small claims court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 PM
 
3,299 posts, read 3,666,253 times
Reputation: 1805
Before doing so I suggest you to write a letter stating everything and mail it with certified mail. If people your are dealing with are not crazy, they will give your money back without getting to the small claims court. Just make sure you put everything is written including references to the pictures of pre-existing condition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM
 
22,960 posts, read 33,951,270 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark601 View Post
I printed the pictures at cvs and the date is stamped on the front of the date pic was. And the date is printed on the back of when I printed them at cvs. I also emailed the pics to the property manager and I also have a copy of that. So yes the pics are legit! I DO NOT destroy other people's property nor do I then try to lie about it. I will be going to small claims court.
It seems you have done everything you should and could have done and if everything is as you have stated than you should be able to follow the steps listed on the clerks website hot to file for small claims court.

Good luck and I hope you will post the result since some posters never come back to let us know what the outcome was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 AM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,232,493 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From your post I assume there is a 3rd party in place like a management company or a realtor representing the owner?

Did you have a lease?

Not disclosing where the deposit is kept is a violation and can be brought up in court but it may be a minus for the other side but not immediately a point that you will win the case just because of that. You will need proof in writing form the owner that he doesn't agree to keep the money. If you have a lease than check who is the party mentioned you had an agreement with since often 3rd parties make an error when filling out a lease and between which parties the lease is and also important is who signed the lease and are they authorized to sign.

How old is the carpet and can they proof it. Since you have the letter of getting the money back that seems to be a lot of proof but you need to know if you go to court who to sue. If you sue the wrong party you will be wasting court fees and serving fees.

In Florida they do not have to tell you were your deposit is. Also Florida dose not have to pay interest on your deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,424,338 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
In Florida they do not have to tell you were your deposit is. Also Florida dose not have to pay interest on your deposit.
You should read FL Statues 83.49 because the info you provided is not correct.


They do and they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,232,493 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You should read FL Statues 83.49 because the info you provided is not correct.


They do and they do.

I'm sorry 1/2 of my answer was not correct the LL dose not have to put into a account that pays interest.

Q: Is a Florida landlord required to keep security deposits in separate accounts?
A: Florida does require landlords to keep a tenant's security deposit in a separate account but it needn't earn interest during the tenancy. If a landlord chooses to keep a tenant's deposit in an interest-bearing account, then the landlord must pay the tenant either 5% interest or 75% of the actual interest rate, as the landlord prefers (unless the tenant wrongfully ends her lease). Alternatively, the landlord may post a surety bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
 
2,763 posts, read 3,976,158 times
Reputation: 2754
I'm confused, you mean they have to pay you back more in security if you get it all back? We rented for 4 years with a 1300 security deposit, so does the landlord keep that interest or the tenant?

according to the statute, they can put it in a non interest account unless i'm reading it wrong.

(a) Hold the total amount of such money in a separate non-interest-bearing account in a Florida banking institution for the benefit of the tenant or tenants. The landlord shall not commingle such moneys with any other funds of the landlord or hypothecate, pledge, or in any other way make use of such moneys until such moneys are actually due the landlord;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,424,338 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I'm confused, you mean they have to pay you back more in security if you get it all back? We rented for 4 years with a 1300 security deposit, so does the landlord keep that interest or the tenant?

according to the statute, they can put it in a non interest account unless i'm reading it wrong.

(a) Hold the total amount of such money in a separate non-interest-bearing account in a Florida banking institution for the benefit of the tenant or tenants. The landlord shall not commingle such moneys with any other funds of the landlord or hypothecate, pledge, or in any other way make use of such moneys until such moneys are actually due the landlord;
Read the (b) subsection. It is LL choice to go with interest bearing or not. I don't know anyone who would give up 25 percent of anything.

What does your lease say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM
 
2,763 posts, read 3,976,158 times
Reputation: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Read the (b) subsection. It is LL choice to go with interest bearing or not. I don't know anyone who would give up 25 percent of anything.

What does your lease say?
It says nothing about what account its going into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,424,338 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
It says nothing about what account its going into.
The law says a landlord is required to notify the tenant in writing no more than 30 days after receipt of the security deposit. The notice shall state:

A. The name and address of the bank or institution where the security deposit is being held.
B. If the tenantís funds are being kept separate or if they are being commingled with other funds for the benefit of the tenant
C. The interest rate at which the security deposit is being held (if it is being held in an interest bearing account)
D. This notice can be delivered by mail or in person.

Does your landlord lease out 5 or more properties or units? If so landlord did not conform to section
B. Did landlord do a,c,d? If not he broke the law. What is your recourse? I dont know, but a landlord tenant attorney should be able to tell you. You may want to read FS 83.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top