U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,309,510 times
Reputation: 4885

Advertisements

Cool!

Honeymoon Island is Florida's most popular state park, again | Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,298,752 times
Reputation: 960
I love Honeymoon Island! Such a great park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 AM
 
4,589 posts, read 3,947,766 times
Reputation: 4312
........and with that so is the garbage on it, because people choose to pile on that small stretch left, and people litter like crazy! We avoid it now, because at anyone time it is too crowded, and there's a line to get in! No Thanks! We go to Sand Key park now...much larger and we don't have to be sanded in by the rude people who don't understand personal space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,309,510 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
........and with that so is the garbage on it, because people choose to pile on that small stretch left, and people litter like crazy! We avoid it now, because at anyone time it is too crowded, and there's a line to get in! No Thanks! We go to Sand Key park now...much larger and we don't have to be sanded in by the rude people who don't understand personal space!
Happy day to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 AM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,298,752 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
........and with that so is the garbage on it, because people choose to pile on that small stretch left, and people litter like crazy! We avoid it now, because at anyone time it is too crowded, and there's a line to get in! No Thanks! We go to Sand Key park now...much larger and we don't have to be sanded in by the rude people who don't understand personal space!
I was just there recently and did not notice any trash. It was crowded though.

One thing many people don't realize about Honeymoon is that the north end of the beach has geodes on it. My kids LOVE going rock hunting out there and seeing how many geodes they can find. USF's geology department was out there the last time we visited and showed us some pretty interesting geological finds on the north end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 AM
 
4,589 posts, read 3,947,766 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Happy day to you as well.
LOLOLOL

I am serious, the state or whomever is in charge of that park needs to start handing out some hefty fines! It is not cool to litter the beaches...(or anywhere else for that matter. Manners 101!)

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 AM
 
4,589 posts, read 3,947,766 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I was just there recently and did not notice any trash. It was crowded though.

One thing many people don't realize about Honeymoon is that the north end of the beach has geodes on it. My kids LOVE going rock hunting out there and seeing how many geodes they can find. USF's geology department was out there the last time we visited and showed us some pretty interesting geological finds on the north end.
What's "geodes"? I googled just now...but never saw any...interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 AM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,309,510 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
LOLOLOL

I am serious, the state or whomever is in charge of that park needs to start handing out some hefty fines! It is not cool to litter the beaches...(or anywhere else for that matter. Manners 101!)

Have a great day!
I agree on fines for littering....anywhere.

I haven't noticed any there. It is not a groomed beach like Clearwater beach, but then again you can find some cool natural stuff there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 AM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,298,752 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What's "geodes"? I googled just now...but never saw any...interesting...
Geodes are rocks that you can break open and find beautiful crystal-like structures inside of them. Someone told me that there is some volcanic activity off of Honeymoon Island that produces the geodes, but when I asked the USF geology department about it, they said this wasn't the case.

If you walk along the north end of Honeymoon where it's super rocky, you can find them. They are usually near the shoreline. It's hard to tell which rocks will have the treasure inside, but I find that geodes are generally lighter than other rocks. Some people drop their finds off at the nature center there, so if you can't find any on the beach, pop in the nature center and ask to see the collection. It's pretty neat! Bring a hammer with you if you decide to go on a geode hunt - it's far easier to break the rocks open that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 PM
 
4,589 posts, read 3,947,766 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Geodes are rocks that you can break open and find beautiful crystal-like structures inside of them. Someone told me that there is some volcanic activity off of Honeymoon Island that produces the geodes, but when I asked the USF geology department about it, they said this wasn't the case.

If you walk along the north end of Honeymoon where it's super rocky, you can find them. They are usually near the shoreline. It's hard to tell which rocks will have the treasure inside, but I find that geodes are generally lighter than other rocks. Some people drop their finds off at the nature center there, so if you can't find any on the beach, pop in the nature center and ask to see the collection. It's pretty neat! Bring a hammer with you if you decide to go on a geode hunt - it's far easier to break the rocks open that way.
Thanks for explaining that...I will check them out, they looked really cool when I searched them in Google.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top