U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,005,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
low wage jobs for low wage people who need them.
I prefer to work a high wage job myself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 11,408,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I prefer to work a high wage job myself.
You and me both. Some people just dont have the knowledge or training and arent interested in getting it.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,227,566 times
Quote:
You and me both. Some people just dont have the knowledge or training and arent interested in getting it.
I also worked higher wages before I was forced to go on Ssdi after working 30 yrs. at my last job. And because of my higher income I have to file taxes every year. All of my working career of 40 yrs. in Michigan.

Last edited by Vannort54; 07-14-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I also worked higher wages before I was forced to go on Ssdi after working 30 yrs. at my last job. And because of my higher income I have to file taxes every year. All of my working career of 40 yrs. in Michigan.
Good for you! You lived a successful American life. Most of us have. However, there are millions that never will see much more than the minimum wage and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Good for you! You lived a successful American life. Most of us have. However, there are millions that never will see much more than the minimum wage and they have no one to blame but themselves.

And that's why I have no sympthoy for those who ***** about there low paying jobs. If they don't want to better them selfs it's there own fault. I started out at the bottom and worked my way up.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,005,787 times
Things are so different then 30 yrs ago. The old days of getting a job and working 30yrs and getting that gold watch are gone. People have to realize that things change quickly now. The hot job/career today will not necessarily be ten years down the road. Keep your eyes open and be willing to pick up new skills and education. Sometimes even reinvent yourself completely. That's the hardest thing to do( I have done it three times), most will stick with a dying career.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
And that's why I have no sympthoy for those who ***** about there low paying jobs. If they don't want to better them selfs it's there own fault. I started out at the bottom and worked my way up.
I agree with you. Same with me. Started off with zip. Just what the Navy taught me. It aint easy but there is no other way in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Things are so different then 30 yrs ago. The old days of getting a job and working 30yrs and getting that gold watch are gone. People have to realize that things change quickly now. The hot job/career today will not necessarily be ten years down the road. Keep your eyes open and be willing to pick up new skills and education. Sometimes even reinvent yourself completely. That's the hardest thing to do( I have done it three times), most will stick with a dying career.
My first career of 12 years was about to disappear. The only way I could have saved it was school and that just wasnt possible so I bailed out. Second career 20 years. Legislative action destroyed that. That lead me to #3. Right. no gold watches anymore. 30 years with the same employer is nearly unheard of. The last of those Mohicans are just now wrapping up their careers. You cant get by with being "good" anymore. You have to be "better than".

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
My first career of 12 years was about to disappear. The only way I could have saved it was school and that just wasnt possible so I bailed out. Second career 20 years. Legislative action destroyed that. That lead me to #3. Right. no gold watches anymore. 30 years with the same employer is nearly unheard of. The last of those Mohicans are just now wrapping up their careers. You cant get by with being "good" anymore. You have to be "better than".

Stop thinking white collar jobs then get your hands dirty. Thats how I made my living.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Stop thinking white collar jobs then get your hands dirty. Thats how I made my living.
Good for you. I always wore a suit and tie in NYC. FL was shirt/tie. Now its golf wear. Totally laid back and casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: