U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,316,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
Spring Hill looks like it would be an easy commute to Tampa or Pinellas County. It's not.
Definitely true. It is about a 60 minute commute into Tampa. There aren't many traffic lights, but it's a long drive. My husband used to drive it a few times a week when commuting to his practice in Tampa.

Quote:
It lacks a town center, and a common focus. If you are retired, want a cheap place to live, or just want space, this works. Lots can be decent sized, houses are cheap... not just due to sinkholes...Many houses were built just before the market crash. Many sit empty (a couple years ago it had a very high --- top 50 in the US --- rate of foreclosure). When I lived there I became good at spotting the foreclosed houses. Some were obvious... notice on the door, poorly kept yard. Others were subtle... no trash out, no cars in the driveway ever... even during the Winter when snowbirds would be there.
True! Spring Hill is just a spread-out housing development. There are very few sidewalks and you will need a vehicle to get places there as public transit is sparse. There are basic shopping centers and such, but nothing that really defines Spring Hill. I heard they are thinking of revamping a shopping center off of Spring Hill Dr. to make it more of a "downtowny" area - I can't remember the name of it though, but I do remember it was sort of dumpy and not in the greatest location. I was surprised they picked it. I'm not sure if those plans are still moving forward or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Oh … one more thing … be careful with healthcare in Spring Hill. It is not where you want to be if you have anything major going on. I have numerous stories from friends and family as well as personal experiences of being mistreated and misdiagnosed there. We learned to always drive into Tampa/Clearwater for our healthcare. My mom went to Brooksville Regional for some issues she was having with her lungs, and they completely missed that she had lung cancer! A doctor in Tampa caught it right away, but the doctors at Brooksville Regional missed it. (Thank God she went for a second opinion in Tampa.) More recently, a friend of mine brought her son to Oak Hill Hospital because he had a seizure. They said it was a cyst. He went down to St. Joe's in Tampa and they immediatley diagnosed him with a brain tumor. I have plenty of other stories like these. Again, you should be OK there if you are just going for routine checks, routine dental visits, etc., but I would NEVER want to be in Spring Hill for major medical issues.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,601,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
It's cheaper in Spring Hill because it is a less desireable area by most people's standards. Depending on who you are, you may like it though. Usually people with children and young professionals do not like it there. We left the area awhile back, and many of our friends have left or are in the process of leaving because it is not a very kid-friendly or family-friendly community. I'm a Florida native and have lived in many parts of the Tampa Bay area. Spring Hill was by far my least favorite.

People who are unfamiliar with sinkholes tend to worry about them more. People who have been in Florida for some time don't get overly concerned with them. I'm willing to bet that a vast amount of homeowners in Florida are sitting right on top of a sinkhole without realizing it.

Just because you had a bad time here does not not mean every one does.

Persons under 18 years, percent, 2010 21.6% So no families with kids? I guess they all live on their own.

Plenty of young professionals here as well. They commute south to NPR, Clearwater, Tampa.

Not kid or family friendly? What you make you think that?

There are 100,000 people here. the county total over 175,000. The population has boomed over the past 15 years. Also the amount of retail establishments have multiplied to keep up with the influx of population.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 07-08-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM

Such b.s. Where you get this ideas is beyond me. Let us look at one of the 3 major hospitals here....

Bayfront Health Spring Hill is one of only 405 U.S. hospitals named among the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission, for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care. And, Bayfront Health Spring Hill and Brooksville hospitals are the ONLY hospitals in Hernando County to earn this recognition three years consecutively. With 124 beds, this acute care hospital provides inpatient, outpatient and emergency care. Bayfront Health Spring Hill is accredited by The Joint Commission and serves as a Designated Primary Stroke Center.

Surely ypu can back up your comments which are simply wild. Missed lung cancer? Did the kid of the friend have a cyst?

You are correct in one thing .... you have plenty of stories......

\
Quote:
Oh … one more thing … be careful with healthcare in Spring Hill. It is not where you want to be if you have anything major going on. I have numerous stories from friends and family as well as personal experiences of being mistreated and misdiagnosed there. We learned to always drive into Tampa/Clearwater for our healthcare. My mom went to Brooksville Regional for some issues she was having with her lungs, and they completely missed that she had lung cancer! A doctor in Tampa caught it right away, but the doctors at Brooksville Regional missed it. (Thank God she went for a second opinion in Tampa.) More recently, a friend of mine brought her son to Oak Hill Hospital because he had a seizure. They said it was a cyst. He went down to St. Joe's in Tampa and they immediatley diagnosed him with a brain tumor. I have plenty of other stories like these. Again, you should be OK there if you are just going for routine checks, routine dental visits, etc., but I would NEVER want to be in Spring Hill for major medical issues.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM

30,896 posts, read 35,063,437 times
I wouldnt worry about health care in the area, my elderly parents have no trouble at all, Hernando transit has a fleet of shuttle buses that take them to any of the clinics or hospital they need to go to.
Also takes mom to any one of SpringHills 3 Walmart super centers, $2.50 per trip..
While Pine island is ok its very small and the 20-30 parking spots fill up fast.
As for Hernando Beach? i've yet to find it and think no beach exists in that community.
Other than the weather theres not much in SpringHill that makes one think they are in Florida.

The kids posing at Pine Island.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSCF1460.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 07-08-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Just because you had a bad time here does not not mean every one does.
True. I never said EVERYONE hates Spring Hill and will have a bad time there. I know many people who find it liveable. They are typically retired or do not have children living at home with them.

Quote:
Persons under 18 years, percent, 2010 21.6% So no families with kids? I guess they all live on their own.
I never said there were no families in Spring Hill. You are twisting my words around to make your point. Obviously there are families there. I know many of them. Many are unhappy living there. Many, like my family, have left the area. Many are leaving. Does that mean EVERY family feels that way? Of course not. But a certain demographic does and will. I'm always careful to feel people out when they talk with me about the possibility of moving to Hernando County. Certain people will like it there. Others will not.

Quote:
Plenty of young professionals here as well. They commute south to NPR, Clearwater, Tampa.
Again, I never said there were no young professionals in Spring Hill. We were a part of the influx of young professionals that came to Spring Hill back in early 2000. We are now a part of the influx that have left or are in the process of leaving. I wonder how many young professionals you actually know well that can give you their honest feedback on the area. EVERY SINGLE ONE that I know well does not like living there and is itching to get out. Many have already left. We left. Some good friends of ours just left two weeks ago. Another set of friends is in the process of leaving and will be moving in the next week. Why? For all the same reasons we did.

Quote:
Not kid or family friendly? What you make you think that?
Oh my gosh, really? Do we really have to re-hash this again? Ugh. I'm not going to go through it all again. Those who are interested can look it all up as I've written extensively on the subject on City Data.

Quote:
There are 100,000 people here. the county total over 175,000. The population has boomed over the past 15 years. Also the amount of retail establishments have multiplied to keep up with the influx of population.

Obviously you are very content with your life up there, so why not leave it at that? Why the need to come on here and defend Spring Hill every time someone points out a different view point? Why do you even care? If someone came on here and said negative things about Safety Harbor, I wouldn't waste my time defending the area … I'd just think, "Well, Safety Harbor just didn't work for that person." Spring Hill did not work for us. Big deal. It works for you. It may work for others. Why can't we just dole out our opinions and let the OP and others who are interested in the area read the various viewpoints so they can judge for themselves whether or not the area would be good for them? Honestly … sometimes I think you get on here just to pick an argument or stir the pot. I come here for information - to give it and to receive it.

I'm done debating it and will not do so any more.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
True. I never said EVERYONE hates Spring Hill and will have a bad time there. I know many people who find it liveable. They are typically retired or do not have children living at home with them.

I never said there were no families in Spring Hill. You are twisting my words around to make your point. Obviously there are families there. I know many of them. Many are unhappy living there. Many, like my family, have left the area. Many are leaving. Does that mean EVERY family feels that way? Of course not. But a certain demographic does and will. I'm always careful to feel people out when they talk with me about the possibility of moving to Hernando County. Certain people will like it there. Others will not.

Again, I never said there were no young professionals in Spring Hill. We were a part of the influx of young professionals that came to Spring Hill back in early 2000. We are now a part of the influx that have left or are in the process of leaving. I wonder how many young professionals you actually know well that can give you their honest feedback on the area. EVERY SINGLE ONE that I know well does not like living there and is itching to get out. Many have already left. We left. Some good friends of ours just left two weeks ago. Another set of friends is in the process of leaving and will be moving in the next week. Why? For all the same reasons we did.

Oh my gosh, really? Do we really have to re-hash this again? Ugh. I'm not going to go through it all again. Those who are interested can look it all up as I've written extensively on the subject on City Data.

Obviously you are very content with your life up there, so why not leave it at that? Why the need to come on here and defend Spring Hill every time someone points out a different view point? Why do you even care? If someone came on here and said negative things about Safety Harbor, I wouldn't waste my time defending the area … I'd just think, "Well, Safety Harbor just didn't work for that person." Spring Hill did not work for us. Big deal. It works for you. It may work for others. Why can't we just dole out our opinions and let the OP and others who are interested in the area read the various viewpoints so they can judge for themselves whether or not the area would be good for them? Honestly … sometimes I think you get on here just to pick an argument or stir the pot. I come here for information - to give it and to receive it.

I'm done debating it and will not do so any more.
As of 2014, Hernando County's population is 172,784 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 32.10 percent. That blows away your opinion about people leaving. Schools continue to reach higher levels of students which shows me that families are coming here and staying.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You are a minority when it comes to negative opinions of this area.

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Obviously you are very content with your life up there, so why not leave it at that? Why the need to come on here and defend Spring Hill every time someone points out a different view point? Why do you even care? If someone came on here and said negative things about Safety Harbor, I wouldn't waste my time defending the area … .

I am not "defending" Spring Hill. I am blowing holes through your statements which are far from reality.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt worry about health care in the area, my elderly parents have no trouble at all, Hernando transit has a fleet of shuttle buses that take them to any of the clinics or hospital they need to go to.
Also takes mom to any one of SpringHills 3 Walmart super centers, $2.50 per trip..
While Pine island is ok its very small and the 20-30 parking spots fill up fast.
As for Hernando Beach? i've yet to find it and think no beach exists in that community.
Other than the weather theres not much in SpringHill that makes one think they are in Florida.

The kids posing at Pine Island.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSCF1460.jpg

Hernando Beach doesn't have/isn't a beach. It's a community of waterfront homes. If you go down Osowaw Blvd. (next to the Wal-Mart on US 19) and then hang a right on Shoal Line you will be there - Hernando Beach South is the first community you'll come across and then you'll get to Hernando Beach. Both areas are pretty nice, though I wouldn't want to be there during a flood!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

You are a minority when it comes to negative opinions of this area.
Yeah, OK. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay